What's your off-leash experience?

mainstreetprod

So I recently got a blue heeler. He's almost 10 months old and has been with me for 3 weeks. So far, his off-leash walk has been incredible. He has grown bolder and will go ahead or fall behind exploring for like 8 meters away from me, but will always respond to a come or wait command.

This is my first ACD and despite the fact I've read a lot about the Velcro thing, I am still shocked, amazed, and having a great time at walks. My last dog was a mutt, whose recall was pretty much horrible despite anything that I knew and tried to implement at the time, so I am a bit paranoid whether my bluey would start acting up once he settles in a bit more.

And yeah, I know you can't possibly know how my dog will turn out 4 months from now, but I thought I'd ask - how's your off-leash walk? Did you spend much time training it, or did it come naturally? Did your heeler's off-leash worsen as they settled more and became accustomed to you and your walking routes?

Obligatory derp picture

@mainstreetprod My pupper does great off leash around my property and at the dog park, great recall and will follow me with great attention all the time. She's 17w now. I still don't trust off leash when I'm out somewhere else, just due to cars, people, other dogs, you can't predict what will startle them or what other factors could be dangerous.

@mainstreetprod I think it depends on where you are (ultimately I know it shouldn't).

My ACD/mix is about 8 months at this point and has different modes. In the woods/ out in the country off leash she stays within 5-8m of me and constantly comes back to touch base. she'll come when she's called. On leash we've been working on heeling, but her natural mode here was to pull/frolick/circle. In the neighborhood/city off leash though she gets heavily distracted and likes to run around. She'll only come about 70% of the time I call her. She'll always return to homebase, and will quickly come searching for me if she loses track of me, however. She's loyal and heavily bonded, but also very adventurous and not always focused.

in the woods/ trail, 5/7 perfect score.

In the city or town 4/10-can be stress inducing.

@monoxidial Haha I feel you on the circling bit. I know he knows what I mean when I ask him to heel, as we've done it successfully a few times, but he just can't help constantly circling around me. Probably a herding thing.

@mainstreetprod I just wanted to say that is one handsome pup!! Beautiful dog.

As for my experiences, my heeler (which is really my brother's dog) will often run and bark at people or get distracted somehow because she just wants to run around and play. She's done a good amount of training and listens well (most of the time) but she still needs a leash when walking. Off the leash she just wants to play play play. Also her bark is incredibly loud and baying, so she often scares people even though she's a little doggo. BARRROOOOOOOOO!!!! I think she's just trying to herd them.

@mainstreetprod I haven't noticed anyone mention your own comfort. My dog is a saint off leash until my heart rate goes up, if I get stressed she goes into fight mode (ie bears, surprise person in the backwoods).

I really recommend leash-walks for the relationship building (it literally was the biggest factor in rehabbing my girl). Off leash experiences are great too though. Start small and build up. In town I only let her off leash for a few metres, just to practice, and only during a longer leash walk. This advice is based only on my personal comfort levels though.