What are you feeding your dog and why?

@n0ble207 We have to feed Purina Veterinary Diet HA Vegetarian because my dog has severe IBD. But thankfully she does really well on this food and hasn't had a flare up in a long time knocks on wood!

@n0ble207 I have a 7 month old Doberman male, very high energy and gets lots of exercise. I feed him Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy 30/18 Sport Development Chicken & Rice flavor. Along with a daily probiotic supplement (FortiFlora, also from Purina).

@n0ble207 Royal canin for medium dogs. Vet recommended Royal canin, Purina, or hills because they meet WSAVA standards. Chose Royal canin because a family member said they had good results from it and her dogs lived long, healthy lives.

Second choice would have been Hills science diet. It was a toss up. Purina was fine also but seemed to have the most frequent recalls.

My dog loves Royal Canin :)

To add: mostly dry but thinking of adding a bit of canned wet food for hydration since she doesn’t drink as much water as she should

@n0ble207 I feed the puppy Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy because it’s the best puppy food according to my research.

Same goes for our other dog’s Hill’s Science Veterinary Prescription Diet c/d.

Purina is the number one brand in my book, followed closely by Hill’s/Royal Canin, Fromm, and Iam’s. Purina checks all the boxes for the WSAVA guidelines, and my dogs love it. I also appreciate that their canned foods seem to have a higher moisture content than other top brands.

@n0ble207 I feed my chihuahua mix Purina Pro Plan Lamb (Sensitive Skin & Stomach) cuz he can’t have poultry and its pretty high in calories so a bag lasts us a while. He used to be a very picky eater but loves pro plan foods.

@n0ble207 dog chow. everything is expensive, I need to cut budget somewhere, my dog is doing great on it, and it’s one of if not the most highly researched food on the market

@n0ble207 I wanted a WSAVA compliant food, so that immediately narrowed it down to the five compliant brands. I was interested in Royal Canin, but the price combined with the reports of puppies/dogs not taking interest in it really diverted my attention elsewhere.

I went with Eukanuba Puppy Chiot Small Breed Kibble. She's 20 weeks and has been on this for the last 8 weeks or so. When we got her she was 10 weeks and had soft stool, so we switched her onto boiled shredded chicken and white rice (the previous family had her on Taste of the Wild) and then slowly introduced the kibble into her diet. Occasionally top with Core freeze-dried turkey, and while she had diarrhea over this last weekend I had her eating white rice with what our vet recommended if she ever has soft stool; Purina Pro Plan FortiFlora.

We feed three times daily to stimulate metabolism and occasionally have her fast a meal.

@n0ble207 I feed a balanced raw meal. When I got my dog we would try all kinds of different kibble. Transitioning her the right way, none of it worked. She refused all kibble but loved “human-grade food” At the time I didn't realize she was malnourished only eating rice and cooked meat. That's the only thing she would eat tho. I rescued her very abruptly and didn't plan to have a dog at all. But her previous owners, our neighbors wanted to get rid of her. For a living, I do research so I would never say I actually did research into dog food but I did “detective work” on what was the best food for my dog. Testimonies would say “Try raw it is the best diet for your dog” and I did. She had so many problems coming to our house. Eczema, yeast infections, allergies, etc. So I thought maybe raw in a balanced way could help us. It did. She went on the prey model and through the years living next to her I have never seen her this healthy. Everything just cleared up for her. She was a different dog with more energy, great breath, and no more eczema, allergies, or yeast infections. New hairs started to grow on her body. She was salivating waiting for me to put raw food in her bowl when she would refuse kibble. People from her previous life looked at her and asked me “What did you do?”:. She's proof that a raw diet can do wonders for a dog and I wouldn't have it any other way! She always has wellness checks and the vet that has been handling her for all these years asked me what I was doing.. I told him “Raw” and his demeanor switched from being happy to almost shaming me. “Don't you know about salmonella”. Yes I do, I handle raw meat every day feeding my family, why was this any different? And doesn't kibble produce more salmonella contamination than raw feeding does? Yes. So what is your argument here? I don't care what they think obviously my dog is healthier than she's ever been and that is enough evidence for me to continue. I personally suffered from eczema as a young woman and endometriosis, no one could help me until I did “detective work” for myself and was cleared of all eczema after years of suffering. And finally got endo care. Not just that I suffered from insomnia for a long while when my initial doctor tried to convince me that I was bipolar, no truth in that. I just was an insomniac and I had to fight for the state to remove that diagnosis through other doctors who thought it was utterly insane that I'd been diagnosed with BPD without any mania at all. I don't rely on doctors to help me with my issues so why would I trust a vet fully?
She's still thriving on a raw diet. She has had no issues at all and I treat her like I gave birth to her.. She's just done better than on kibble. I can confidently say I would never ever feed an animal freaking pellets of any sort to get through the day, doesn't matter what animal it's not natural! And if my dog hates it and loves raw I'm gonna continue to feed her that! Wavsa this, wavsa that! I'm from Sweden, we don't have Wavsa, we don't care. Seems like a sham to me either way. You can't possibly tell me the only reason you feed your dog the kibble that you do is because of WAVSA guidelines. My sister is a dentist. She would tell you that you're an idiot if you believed Colgate is the answer for curing teeth issues because they are backed by dentists. Come on people? Since when did we get so stupid following “authority” think for yourself! Everyone that feeds Hills, Purina, and Iams says “Well it is Wavsa guidelines” not even recommended but they just follow the model.. Seriously? Sounds insane to me. No fucking thanks! 🤷‍♀️

@n0ble207 I feed my border collie a combo of wet and dry food. He gets one scoop of nutrisource dry food (currently the lamb and rice flavor, be we switch out the protein every time we buy a new bag) and two-three tablespoons of Stella and Chewy’s Gourmet Stew wet food in the beef recipe (will also switch out the protein every can). I used to feed Purina One wet food to him but it really didn’t agree with his stomach and I’ve had no issues since switching to Stella and Chewy’s!

My vet recommended that I feed a mix of both because I was concerned of his water intake (lack there of) and she said adding wet food on top of his kibble is a good way to add moisture to his diet :))

My vet also wants my boy to lose 5 pounds, so I’ve been making his portions smaller. He used to get 2 cups of dry food only (per the bag’s label) but I cut down to 1 because he gets extra calories in the wet food that’s mixed in!!

@n0ble207 Royal Canin Pug kibble for my pug, we also add in a little Royal Canin adult canned food. Royal Canin is backed by science and meets WSAVA guidelines, so I feel complete assurance in feeding it to him. We mix up his treats so he gets a bit of variety.

@n0ble207 Acana Wholesome Grains Chicken Small breed (but thinking of switching to Royal Canin. However this has literally been the oy food she didn't chew her feet off with or have digestive issues).

The other gets Royal Canin Renal vet diet and I am about to also try Forza10 or Dr. Harvey's because she won't eat and is still losing weight.

Back