What are you feeding your dog and why?

@n0ble207 Currently Purina pro plan, but going to switch soon.

Debating on viva raw or something that's not Nestle or Kibble. Still need to research more and talk to my vet.

@rodr I’m considering this as well. But I’m still not sure what to switch to. Ziwi Peak and Instict have both been recommended. I’m leaning toward instinct, it’s still kibble, but it’s freeze dried and not baked.

@n0ble207 Doberman/German Shepherd mix.
I've been mixing 50% Purina Pro Plan Puppy with 50% Taste of the Wild Salmon for pups. I also throw in some cooked egg or chicken pieces every couple of days too.

@n0ble207 My boy was raw fed as recommended by the breeder, but he’s a fussy eater and I’d throw a lot away. He’s now on wolfworthy and loves it. Went for wolfworthy because it’s meant to have the same health benefits of raw, has a high meat content, offal, fruits and veggies but no artificial nasties in there, grain free (he struggled with grain), cooked at low temps so keeps the nutritional benefits but high enough to kill any nasties, and found although he poos a little more than he did on raw they’re still firm. He’s a fussy eater but will always eat if it’s interactive so being a dry food I can use as training treats or in enrichment toys which has been great for us as he’s a service dog in training, means I can reward more without worrying about over feeding him with treats

@n0ble207 I feed Muenster ancient grains chicken in rice

I love that it’s high calorie!!!

The reason why I fed it is to give it a try as my dog is super picky with what food he eats but with muenster he hasn’t refused it really at all! I also like the ingredients and how you can make a personal bag with add ons

@n0ble207 My breeder told me he fed the parents raw…but I wasn’t going to jump there immediately for a puppy…the first thing i did..i found a DVM who specialized in canine nutrition…paid over $500 for a half hour consultation. Prior to the consultation, the DVM nutritionist requested a signed agreement from our regular vet stating they are willing to cooperatively work together and share medical information of my pup in order to make sure that his diet is tweaked as necessary. Then after looking over my pup’s medical history records..the nutrition vet suggested a fresh food diet. As my Giant Schnauzer puppy came with some predisposed UTI issues according to his DNA testing…the nutrition vet had made sure that i only used a specific type of protein to make up the protein portion of his diet, she provided me with options of perfect multivitamins as obviously it is needed to meet all the nutritional requirements of the diet etc. The nutrition vet provided me a list of acceptable dental treats and other things that just helped me be educated and give my boy the best nutrition filled meal. I would love to use kibble but my boy and my 8 year old dog respond so much better to a fresh food meal..they are much more energetic, their poops are so consistent, they poop so much less..their fur is so soft shiny..their teeth are pearly white..even my 8 year old pup..the nutrition vet has been so helpful….she didnt just disappear off the map after our initial consultation..i sent her email sporadically asking certain questions about certain treats and or supplements that i can or can not add..one time my giant schnauzer was having lose stool that just wouldn’t subside..we did some antibiotics but simultaneously increased the portion of the greek yogurt in his diet and added a prebiotic supplement..and that lose stool has never come back! (Knock on wood)…if you have the time and ability to, you should definitely get at least one consultation from a licensed veterinarian that specializes in nutrition. And please don’t get me wrong, i am not against raw food or kibble diets, nor am i against anyone who uses them.

Back