What’s with people on this sub wanting their non ACDs to be ACDs??

@dn08 Heeler personality traits are very strong and they are quite particular. You could easily have a mutt that was 20% Heeler and be dealing with very strong herding and nipping issues, so it’s good to know how to deal with that.

Also, as an Australian I despair at the popularity of the cartoon Bluey in the States as a kids show because so many people are getting ‘Blueys’ for their toddlers and Heelers are very much not a good dog for young kids.

Hence many many many of them will end up in shelters for nipping and herding kids. And it’s hard enough raising a toddler OR a Heeler, doing both at once is a bloody hard job.

@de2105 I HATE Bluey! You folks gave us some of THE finest animals ever! I would LOVE to hear more about how you think ACDs there are different than here?
I have a female who had parents from Australia. She was my first female ACD. Workaholic. Work ethic is outstanding. She will walk around at the end of the day( we frisbee after 13 hours work in the desert) and she will make sure every animal is exactly where it should be whilst playing. She quits eating to work. Don’t get me wrong, my ones from the states are great, but I just wonder? Edit. I have had many harder herding breeds for 60 years. My first ACD was NOT my dog, but a neighbor’s. He was 7 months old. I was sitting on my front porch and he was in front of my house and between me and a rattlesnake BEFORE I made it down 5 steps. Absolutely fantastic dogs, BUT for about .001% of the population.

@dn08 I think it’s to find a community to relate to those ACD traits that are usually dominant even in those 10-15% ACD dogs. I’ll admit I ask myself the same thing from time to time but it try to remind myself that it doesn’t really matter and just embrace it

@dn08 I mean, my girl is a mutt that I usually round up to Pit/ACD because those are her largest percentages, but I'll be the first to admit that the former is much larger than the latter, especially if you include the Staffy in her as part of the pit like I do.

But she acts like an ACD. She's obsessed with herding, she's made of Velcro, she has all these rules for the house she's made up. So posting her here makes the most sense to me, because it's where her behaviors are most recognizable to other people.

@dn08 Dominant ACD traits is not the only reason people come here about their mixed breed dog. Another reason is that even full breed ACD's look so different. For example, my 100% ACD had very little red and weighed only 25 lbs. She was a rescue and I didn't care what breed she was. I was just curious.

@bettie How do you know your dog is 100% ACD? ACDs look very different now because everybody and their brother are breeding dogs who shouldn’t be bred because they aren’t even close to the breed standard. The breed is being ruined, just like every other breed that became popular for one reason or another.

@bettie I wasn’t preaching, I was asking how you knew that your rescue dog was 100%. I’m assuming it was from some DNA test results, which cannot be relied on. People are relying on those test results and some of them are breeding their dogs, claiming they and their puppies are purebred. Seems like that’s good enough for way too many people these days and that’s why this breed has been ruined.

@dn08 Honestly because ACD traits and behavior can be absolutely dominant. Mine is only like 35% or something like that but you would never know that by looking at her appearance or behavior. I've been to the border collie Reddit (50%) but none of it was nearly as relatable as what's on this one.

Now stop yucking other people's yum.

@dn08 Well what would be the line then. How much they have in them or how much they look like one? I just joined cuz my guy is 25% and looks like a Shepard mal but in a cattle dog body. I think any amount is fine if they have traits of cattle dogs and come here for advice or just to share a pic. Dogs are cool af I don't get peoples gate keeping. Like what do you want less people to interact with and talk about the stuff you like with you?

@dn08 I have a mix and I have a 100% ACD. I fail to see the reason for the complaint being lodged. I get to see people's mixes, or purebred doggos living happily I have zero issues with mixes being included because those genes sometimes do some WORK and it shows.

I hardly see how complaining because someone wants to join a group to relate to others as a negative. But you do you OP.

I like what someone else mentioned; "Where's the line?" Can we only talk about and relate to full bred paper-worked show dogs? Or can anyone with a dog with even a smidgen of ACD in them be ushered out of the "cool kids" club? I find that to be exclusionary and ridiculous.

@inazuma I'm glad DNA testing for dogs is a thing because it seems to be useful for people and makes them happy. But I will admit it was easier when you just didn't know for sure and had to go by you and your vet's best educated guess. That's still the way I choose to do it, so I like seeing mixes or mutt's pictures. I don't care what percentage of what a dog is if they are happy and have a good home!

@neener99 If we went by my vet's best guess, Ilsa (35% ACD) would be a pure-bred cattle dog! No joke, that's what the vet kept telling me until her border collie nose started growing in 😂 but the vet still marks her down as a "cattle dog mix" even though that's far from the majority breed.

@tehila That's my point though, people complaining about participating on this sub if your dog's a mix are silly. And wouldn't have had a leg to stand on before prevalent doggie DNA testing! If your dog is part anything it's good to learn about that breeds' traits, personality and potential health problems.

ETA: I looked at your profile and your pup is super cute! And I definitely can't blame your vet for that best guess except for your dog's long adorable muzzle and nose.

Back