Is there a sub like this but for anxious dogs?

Just to add, his food drive increased significantly after dealing with his gut issues. We now make him homemade food (mix of ground turkey, carrots, celery, rice and flax seeds) and mix the powder from the Prozac in his food. Eats it no problem and is always hungry for more

@kimmie_kimm Have you consulted a veterinary behaviorist? It's not a cheap option but some health issues have connections to behavioral issues. Gut health is linked to anxiety.

Here are some resources:

https://iaabc.org/en/certs/members

https://www.dacvb.org/search/custom.asp?id=4709

https://reddit.com/r/Dogtraining/w/findingatrainer?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

https://www.fearfreehappyhomes.com/kit/behavior-problem-solving/#video_link4

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168159122000272

https://aggressivedog.com/2021/07/26/overcoming-your-dogs-leash-reactivity/

https://pca.st/episode/b0c768e7-a020-4aac-9672-1c6b3efe2d23

Additionally dogs can associate being sick with what they recently ate. This can cause aversion even if it wasn't actually that food that made them sick.

@httx You didn’t offend me, your comment just was exactly what I said I wasn’t looking for. I clearly stated in the opening we were already working with a behaviorist, our regular vet / internist, and a behavioral trainer. I already know GI and behavior are thought to possibly be connected. I said I wasn’t looking for advice, I’m already over saturated in advice and resources from the people(with credentials) that I’m paying.

@kimmie_kimm I open up the Prozac pills and sprinkle it in with the food. Add a little water. Add some high value frozen raw food. Probably anything moist would work, just so that they’re not inhaling powder (think about the cinnamon challenge…). Stir that shit up and they either don’t care or can’t avoid it.

I have either crushed or opened up every pill I’ve ever had for every dog I’ve ever had and I’ve never had an issue getting them to eat their drugs (unless they’re not eating at all, that’s a whole different battle).

I see this question in dog threads damn near every day, but never see this solution to the problem. If there’s something wrong with this advice, please let me know. If not, please try it/share it/bump it to the top.

Good luck!

@tkien Right, but my dog was NOT eating at all which I said was the tipping point issue, so this advice wasn’t even remotely applicable to me. Also, I’m really trying not to be frustrated because I know you’re just trying to be helpful: but telling someone who is at their wits end and has tried many, many things (several at the advice of medical professionals) that “every dog” you’ve ever had hasn’t had an issue isn’t helpful and feels frankly kind of insulting. I’m glad you haven’t experienced this, but that doesn’t mean it’s because of something special you’re uniquely doing. It just means your dogs issues are not the same as mine.

@kimmie_kimm If he’s not eating at all, have you asked your vet for a pharmacy that can create an oral suspension? It’s not very cheap if I’m remembering correctly, but they can’t spit it out.

@tkien We haven’t, good suggestion. We saw our vet today though and they agreed they’d like to take him off the bulk of the pills short term while we do more diagnostics. The one he absolutely has to stay on they found a chewable treat-like version which we are hoping will do the trick. 🤞🏻 If that doesn’t work, I’ll ask about oral suspension next.

@kimmie_kimm How big your dog? My non reactive chihuahua refuses all meds so we have to burrito wrap him and shove them down his throat. I get all meds in liquid form if I can.

My reactive dog will eat literal trash if I let him so he’s good with med taking.

My reactive boy is anxious/fearful. That’s where his reactivity stems from. It’s not aggressive reactivity but I still treat him as if he was an aggressive dog.

@hobster777 We definitely cannot burrito wrap him and shove it down his throat, he would never emotionally recover. He can’t even handle if the vacuum is left in a new corner of the room that he wasn’t expecting or the grass has been mowed so it’s a new texture. No way he could handle that lol

@kimmie_kimm Ha! I hear you. There’s no way I could burrito wrap my reactive dog. When he spazzes I’ll say the wind is blowing in a different direction cause he’s just that bad 😆 I got extremely blessed with my non reactive chihuahua. He’s a go with the flow nothing bothers me dog. He just hates taking pills of any kind.

@kimmie_kimm You poor guy!

One of mine is very shy/nervous and this spring started being reactive (barrier reactivity mostly with our backyard and in the car). Long story short we are doing fluoxetine and training and improving our fencing (to privacy fence) to limit his view because he does much better with less visual on the neighbors/their dogs.

In any event I am so sorry to hear you’re having such a hard time!! We have another dog that I call our “medical dog” because she was severely neglected before we adopted her and had all sorts of weight/hypothyroid, skin, digestive, and allergic issues we had to sort of sit through as we were working with the vet because none of that heals quickly. She also struggled with appetite, thankfully she eventually graduated from hardly eating anything to chicken/rice to eating kibble from my bf’s hand directly to actually eating on her own. It took a while but our 2 year “gotcha-versary” is next month and she’s doing so phenomenally well compared to when we adopted her. I’m mostly sharing this slice of her story to tell you that you’re not alone, digestive issues are incredibly difficult without heightened anxiety on top, and it will get better. Sometimes the difference is really just a few months down the line. I think it is a great idea to pursue additional diagnostics. Solving this problem will feel so deeply rewarding once you get there.

Good luck! I have my fingers crossed and I hope you find more solutions that work better soon.

@kimmie_kimm For the pills…as long as it’s safe for you, try just sticking the pills in the back of his mouth and blow at his face. That way food can just be food and there’s no yucky “surprise pills” in his meals. It’s like giving vaccines to kids, if they’re THAT worked up about it (eg past the point of strategies like “left arm or right arm? Sit or stand?” In the case of the dog this would be like offering the pill in different types of food) then sometimes the least traumatic way is just to be firm and quick about it rather than making a whole spectacle. Again, only if it’s safe. You know your dog better than I do, my dog is absolutely ok with me putting my face near his but other dogs might snap at you.

@kimmie_kimm My dog is hard to give pills to. PB worked great until it didn’t when he realized there are pills. Pill pockets worked like 2 days. Anyway, what worked for us was coating the pill in a little ball of PB, then pushing the little PB ball into the middle of his bowl of kibble, making a kibble covered PB ball. Then I add just a splash of water to the kibble bowl to help release the kibble scent. This was combined with picking up his food bowl after 15-20 minutes and keeping him on a strict eating schedule so he would be hungry and ready to eat at meal times. It has worked for over a month!! YMMV.

@kimmie_kimm I didn't see the original post, but just want to chip in that I have a very anxious dog. She has separation anxiety to the point that we literally can't leave her alone and have to hire sitters if we both need to leave at the same time.

We've had luck with Julie Naismith's Be Right Back book and training program for separation anxiety specifically. And we just started seeing a vet behavorist on top of our regular vet and that's given us access to some different meds to help with her generalized anxiety and given us some more specific tips and training to help as well.

Again, I didn't see the original post so I don't know your situation, but you're not alone! Sending lots of positive vibes.