We existed calmly in the back yard!

upanddown

We finally got some nice weather and I cleaned up the back yard and set up a chair and the elevated dog bed on the patio. We don’t have a fence yet so if I’m attempting training I usually double leash. I attach one leash to my waist and have the other to hold or step on. I decided to give it a try with zero expectations.

I had to instruct him to get on the bed and to lay down but once I did that he settled down on his own. I calmly gave him treats when he was calm. He watched the birds and bugs flying around. He listened intently to people and kids playing nearby. A guy and neutral (didn’t bark or pull towards us) dog walked by and my dog stood up on his bed and looked at them, but then disengaged on his own and looked at me. I calmly praised him and was fumbling with the treat pouch and he laid down on his own. I was so proud I almost cried.

I adopted him and his buddy from the shelter a little over a year ago. He’s a 3-4 year old Australian cattle dog that, at best, was neither well bred nor was he socialized as a pup. We’ve done lots of practice capturing calm inside and at dog class, both 1 on 1 and group sessions. Even 6 months ago I didn’t think I’d ever be able to sit outside with him with an iced coffee and not spill it.

He would bark and pull and whine. He’d wander and munch grass, growl at people he heard in their own backyards. Or he’d try to climb into my lap uninvited. The wind blowing would break his focus on me 🙃 He’d get mad at people walking by all the way across the street and his displacement behavior is tugging HARD on his leash and mouthing my hand. Hints why I never thought I’d be able to hold a drink even with a lid.

@upanddown Yay! Sounds like you have a great setup to work on desensitization, and you don’t even have to leave home! Ive noticed my boy getting better since moving, I think being able to lay on the floor and watch the world go by has been really good for him. Keep up the good work!

Back