Wanting to switch my sensitive boy

rachel24

I'll be discussing diet change with his vet, but his vet he had his whole life just retired and we haven't found a new one I absolutely love yet. 3 out of 4 of my dogs are on Purina Pro Plan large breed chicken and rice. My 4th dog is my problem child. He's prone to hotspots and I've narrowed it down to oatmeal and chicken. So far every Purina line I've tried have caused extreme itching and hair loss. We've tried probably everything else on the shelf and for the last 7 years he's thrived on Acana. I already didn't love feeding this to him but I just noticed the ingredients changed and I'm ready to try to switch him to something better again. It's always been a nightmare of symptoms so we're both a little traumatized, but does anyone have any recommendations for a food without peas, chicken, or oatmeal ?

@rachel24 How did you narrow it down to chicken and oatmeal?

Ultimately basically any otc food risks cross contamination ESPECIALLY with chicken so you’re probably looking at a prescription diet

@rachel24 My 16 month old is on Royal Canin HP with great results. He had pretty bad skin issues, as well as gastro issues, and after doing a 5Strands Food and Environmental Sensitivity test, decided on the HP diet. It’s been 6 months on it, and things are so much better. Royal Canin also makes HP treats as well, which he loves. It’s been quite the wild ride this past year trying to figure things out, gastro wise, skin wise, etc. but I think we have it figured out. He’s also been micro dosing bee pollen too. As the seasonal allergies are picking up this spring. Good luck and I hope your pooch gets relief.

Back