Use your common sense people!!

maebee_so

So what the heck is with clients who ask for 1/4” trimmed off a full coat (usually poodles/doodles) and then act surprised when hand scissor charges are explained to them? How else would it be done?? It’s totally not the same as getting 1/4” trimmed off the end of your own hair! And also people who think this kind of trim can be done on a cat? How does this work in their mind? Have they ever met a cat?? I had a client who, when I explained that I could not and would not hand scissor her cat, said Oh I thought you were a professional LOL. Where’s the common sense?

@maebee_so I refuse to hand scissor a whole dog. I will do 1 inch guard comb or I will leave it natural length and do a paw/face/sanitary trim. It’s a waste of my time lol and if I charge what it’s worth people will be mad. Oh and their dog will probably be matted at the next appointment.

@patrick_andrei I did a hand scissor on one of those Unicorn Doodles (great dog, great down to earth owners, dog is groomed every 4 weeks, they never no show, etc.) and told the owner I couldn't physically do it anymore. My wrists were screaming. They didn't care one bit and are very happy with an A clip on the body, with an E clip on the legs with chunkers to shape.

@maebee_so I'm shocked that you can't hand-scissor an angry fur ball with weapons of mass destruction attached.

/s just in case.

But seriously, wtf with the cat? Has she found someone before that did? Why would she even think that's a thing? My cat LOVES being groomed, and I doubt even she would let me do it.

@marie0628 We groom a cat that is really very good. But once she's done, she's done, and we put the carrier on the table and she dives into it. When I close the door, she swats my fingers as I close it. Don't you love those little murder mittens?

@maebee_so The funny thing about that kind of doodle person is that the exact same ones are the ones that do NOT WANT THEM SHAVED!!! Don’t SHAVE THEM!!!!! As you’re trying to explain a 1” guard comb.

@xekuter I have a pair of doodles that started coming to me bc the last groomer kept shaving them. We stated at a 3/4 and they asked for a little shorter on the smaller one everytime and now he's been being put in a 4 for the past year and the bigger one goes down in a 2 grd now 😅 I do consider any blade or comb as shaving but I think it's funny when people don't realize they actually like the shaved look.

@xekuter I had a doodle person call about finding a groomer who "doesn't shave with a clipper but doesn't charge an arm and a leg." I tried explaining the guard combs but she kept saying "NO SHAVING! An inch is wayyy too short!" Then I went into the scissoring charges and extra brushing charges (because this doodle had "a few tangles") and she got pissed. "There aren't any honest groomers these days!" Wtf. Groom your own dog then.

@maebee_so Doodle owner here. Please just shave her down because she’s an asshole and wants to eat the brush and my arm, please and thank you. Her first pro groomer was so sweet and tried to hand scissor her legs and round her feet to get some cute shaping but the girl is a monster who needs a massive trazodone dose and possibly an exorcism to be groomed despite daily brush/combing from the day she came home.

If you’re going to be pedantic and demanding, pay for it and don’t bitch about it. Otherwise, do it yourself. .

@mgreene05 Always. I can’t get her pro groomed right now (yay unemployment), but I definitely prioritize it because it’s one thing best left to the pros. I happily pay the pain in the ass fee she requires and just ask they do the best they can.

I shaved her short this week and it took 4-5 sweaty, frustrating hours start to finish over two days. She looks a little funny but it’ll grow back. 😂

@humansmeagol Looking a little funny is always better than being matted or pissed off daily by the brush. I appreciate that you are kindness over cosmetics and I bet your dog does too, she probably doesn't know she looks funny

@humansmeagol She’s a doodle, she probably spends half her time making herself look funny in the mud and water anyways…regardless of how expensive the haircut was, to the pain of all involved lmao. Don’t beat yourself up too bad for doing what you can to keep her out of a full knockout vet shave

@humansmeagol I just got a picture of my Papillon with one ear flipped inside out with half of her bib fringe in her mouth with her "crazy eyes" going on. Looking a little funny is nothing to be ashamed of! xD

@humansmeagol Hahaha I love clients like you. Has your vet ever suggested a combo of trazadone and gabapentin? I groom at a vet so I get my fair share of dogs that need calming meds and in my experience traz alone does nothing except make dogs more unpredictable for grooming. Dogs that are even a tiny bit likely to bite are guaranteed to bite with no warning on traz. The gaba really helps chill them out.

@excpomelo I’ll ask about adding that. She’s more of a chew/gnawer than a biter, so the vet was considering Prozac to help her out. Next time I can get her pro groomed I’m going to ask if they can record behaviors that they see that need to be fixed too just so I can work on them with her because she tends to be better behaved when I’m not there 🤦🏼‍♀️ The girl got kicked out of daycare for being annoying and demanding pets by grabbing the monitor’s hand in her mouth and “forcing” them to pet her.

Back