Tyler Muto’s E-Collar course?

epassenglish

Has anyone taken Tyler Muto’s e-collar course on Consider the Dog? I’ve watched Mark Ellis’ course on Leerburg and the info and background is great but he doesn’t give specifics on timing. Ie: do these steps on days 1-3 for x amount of time then move on to the next step for 1 week etc. (I realize moving between steps would also depend on the dog understanding and tolerating the training). Would love some recommendations. 🐶

@epassenglish I watched it. It’s mostly geared towards layering the ecollar over already known commands. I felt like I was still missing some steps. Ended up following the Shield k9 off leash course which I found much more comprehensive.

The Shield one starts with an untrained dog and teaches you how to teach the commands using rewards, then layer leash pressure over that, then layer the ecollar over that. It filled in all the gaps for me that all the other courses I had watched left.

@jan800 Oh that sounds like what I’m looking for! Does he use the e-collar for more than just recall? I’d like to eventually use it to tune up our leash walks and correct some problematic behaviors.

@epassenglish An e-collar is pressure, just like a leash. Once you understand this, and the dog understands this, it becomes quite intuitive how to use the e-collar in all your work. Would you use leash pressure in the situation? Then you can use the e-collar.

@jayre This is a very good explanation. I've kind of been doing this intuitively and having some great success in off leash walking.

@jayre I understand that part and watched a great video on leash pressure last night! However a few trainers I’m following have talked about ‘poisoning commands’ and ‘superstitious associations’ so I want to make sure I get the timing right! Then I watched another trainer who does this whole tone-tone-stim thing and my brain was like 😵‍💫.

@epassenglish Poisoning commands and spurious correlations are both super simple.

You poison a command when you give the command and follow it by something unpleasant. So if you said sit, then applied considerable pressure, the dog will start to associate the command sit with the unpleasant feeling that comes after it. It’s classical conditioning in the same way you can associate a marker with a reward (but it’s bad). To avoid this, you always apply the pressure before giving the command, so that their action (doing the command) is what turns the pressure off. Sequence is pressure->command-> desired behaviour -> pressure off.

Spurious correlations is similar, in that if you’re not clear about why they’re receiving a correction, they may associate that correction with something random in the environment (because you might be 50ft away so it’s not always obvious to the dog that it’s you). To avoid this, make sure you ask the dog to do something, if they don’t comply, say No (or whatever your punishing market is) then apply the correction. This way they understand the correction is coming from you, and not the random bird that flew by just before they got corrected.

Tone-tone-stim is basically just sending warning shots before a correction. Whether you want to take such an approach is up to you.

Hope this helps.

@epassenglish I'm also interested in it. I heard very good things about Michael Ellis's e-collar course but was severely disappointed. It is so unorganized and confusing. Do not recommend at all. I can elaborate more but I highly discourage Michael Ellis's.

@kpd I have to agree! I don’t doubt that Michael Ellis is a good trainer but there was so much missing from his course. I didn’t feel more prepared after watching it. I ended up buying Tyler Muto’s ‘Mastering the Remote Collar’ and it’s MUCH more detailed. He explains the concepts and application so well. I haven’t finished it yet but so far I’m very impressed. I have a discount code if you’re interested.

@epassenglish Yesssss!!!!!

I love everything by Tyler Muto but he's one of those trainers that could explain rockets science to you and have it make sense

I believe the program took place over a week but he also mentions if you're doing this with your own dog and you have the time then take your time.

Highly recommend!!!

Back