Two job offers - need advice!

dualgemini

Hello everyone!

I’m a new groomer in Canada and graduated from a vocational school for pet styling. I have two job offers, and I’m having a hell of time deciding which is best for me/development of my career.

My end goal is to save money and renovate a section of my basement into my own grooming shop. I do have a family and my income will be important.

Those of you who have been doing this a while, which would you recommend for a new groomer?

Option One:

Local doggie daycare (8 minutes from my house) that has a grooming area. I’d be working semi alone (one other pet stylist who works part time), taking 50% commission + tips, and would have to try and bring in new clientele as well. I set my own hours and as “backup” income, when it’s slow I’d have the option to work in the daycare area for minimum wage. They would support me in continuing education (classes, seminars, etc). I’d be expected to do 3/4 dogs eventually, but it’s quality over quantity.

Option Two

Work for a set income ($20 per hour + tips) at a well established grooming salon. There are 5 other groomers, and they have all been in the industry for 5 plus years. The owner enters competitions (and supports her staff doing this as well) and has a fixed goal of me eventually doing 6/7 dogs a day. It’s a fast paced environment and the level of quality coming out is amazing. I would eventually need to get to this level as well, and get faster in a short period of time. It’s located in a different city 20 mins away.

What are everyone’s thoughts? Ultimately I’ll make the call, but I’m curious what others have done in their career and what would take me further.

UPDATE
  • I ended up going with another groom shop completely; I’m making 50% commission AND working with an owner/other groomers who are skilled at what they do ☺️, and receptive to teaching me! I’m also being trained to do some Asian fusion grooms 🥰.

@dualgemini The daycare job would probably be more enjoyable- more relaxed and owners aren't expecting perfection in the grooms. However I think continuing education is really important and I think you should jump on that second salon. Working around experienced groomers and being able to watch and ask them questions is huge in the beginning.

@shofargod Yes that’s a good point - ideally I want to stay with whatever shop I choose for a couple years … if I’m eventually doing 6/7 dogs a day, $20 per hour isn’t adequate compensation for my time/skills/labor

@dualgemini If you’re gonna be a groomer, you’re gonna have to learn to be ok with salon hopping until you get your thing sorted out. This is a tremendously toxic industry, whether it’s because of customers, owners, or even fellow groomers. My spidey senses started tingling when you started talking about option 2. “Fast paced environment” almost always means “we’re going to find a way to make your time here suck”. If those other groomers have 5 years of experience, do 6/7 dogs a day, put out consistently perfect dogs AND still make 20 an hour, then they are being exploited. If they’re all ok being exploited than they are going to gang up on you and make you feel bad for not wanting to be treated like shit. You also don’t want to “grow up” as a groomer surrounded by that. I know you said you wanted to do your own thing in the basement, but you will never afford it at 20 an hour.

@shofargod Okay I actually really like this scenario that you’ve presented - I do wonder about it being a “bullying” environment. Also, thank you for acknowledging “salon hopping”, I know a lot of groomers who have worked at 10 plus salons in only a few years, but it’s because they don’t take shit and are trying to find their “fit”. I did wonder if this was normal industry standard, and I guess it might be?

@dualgemini I’m not saying it definitively will be like that, but it’s got some of the key ingredients to that recipe haha. I believe it is, we make commission (for the most part), we go where the money makes us the most happy. Whether that’s less money and less abuse, or more money or benefits to deal with some asshole. Everyone is different, what’s important is that you are true to yourself. I used to say I work better alone and that I like working alone so no one bothers me, but I’ve found I really like being a part of a small group of people if they’re cool. Option one is higher risk, but has more room for financial growth. Option two you will probably learn more and a lot faster from being around a bunch of presumably good groomers. If it’s me, I siphon the knowledge of salon 2 until I’ve built enough confidence to walk into any salon and know I just need a test groom and my work will speak for itself.

@shofargod I agree with this response, I also want to recognize that they possibly aren’t providing the best haircuts either. Working in a fast pace environment like that, I know from experience that I wasn’t always happy with my groom and felt like i needed more time. That environment doesn’t sound very healthy and they are only giving 20 an hour. This will burn you out quickly.

@tamby If a fast paced environment isn’t for you, that alone can burn you out quickly, I know it did me. I’m cool with my 5 a day. I get to show people and their pets why they don’t have to be afraid of a male groomer. I love having the time to have the confidence that what I put out is the best haircut this dog is getting in my salon. “Stealing” requests from groomers who have oodles and noodles more experience than me will always be one of the most satisfying things in regards to grooming itself. Groomers who are faster than me always like to comment about how many more dogs they can do than me, none of them have ever been able to say they have more requests than me or that they can make a dog look better than me, even given the time.

@shofargod I doubt they would stay at 20/hr long once their achieving 6/7 grooms per day. A good follow up question though would be to ask what the growth would look like. How often will they give raises? What exactly is 6/7 dogs per day? Is it a couple of labs, a couple of medium to large haircuts and maybe a small haircut and a small dog tidy up? Once consistently grooming that many can you expect a pay bump? And at the hourly salon especially know their turnover. How long has everyone been working there? If they have long term employees that could be a good thing, but if they have a handful of long term and one open position that just keeps turning over that could be a red flag.

OP should also consider the costs associated with each job. The commission job what are they supplying/not supplying? I would assume hourly supplies just about everything you need, but you definitely need to ask. The couple of hourly salons near me pay for all sharpening services and will supply you with everything except shears versus most commission jobs you supply all of your own tools plus their maintenance. I know of one that doesn’t even supply a dryer or table. Groomers bring their own and even have to buy their own shampoos if they want anything more than fresh n clean and dawn (😓)!

Also consider the equipment that is provided. I’ve worked on plain old basic tables, hydronic and electric and personally would never work with anything but an electric table again.

Based on experience factor alone I think the hourly sounds like a much better learning opportunity. But since reliable income is important to OP it’s best to understand the costs associated with grooming. If she’s entirely alone and relatively inexperienced with a lot of equipment and maintenance expenses the commission job will likely not earn as steadily as the hourly. On the other hand that hourly would be peanuts if her employment expenses are high.

@shofargod I was worried I over did it 😂. It’s an amazing industry, but very complicated. If it counts for anything, I went through 4 salons in my first year. As stressful as that was, I have no regrets because I learned far more than I would have immediately setting down roots. If you find yourself in that position later on just know that you’re not broken! As someone else mentioned, salon hopping is a thing and sometimes it’s necessary! With time you’ll learn what to ask and what important to you in the field.

@billyyank Nonono, it was great. Lots of good stuff in there. I would have to disagree with you though, it’s a terrible industry with both the potential and capability to be amazing. If it really is this hard to find a good salon, it’s by definition a terrible industry imo. It has next to no regulation which leads to heavy exploitation both in corporate and private salons. I’m starting to become a salon hopper and I’m learning more and more at every new location about what I need to ask about and what answers I’m looking for and which ones are red flags.