Two job offers - need advice!

dualgemini

Hello everyone!

I’m a new groomer in Canada and graduated from a vocational school for pet styling. I have two job offers, and I’m having a hell of time deciding which is best for me/development of my career.

My end goal is to save money and renovate a section of my basement into my own grooming shop. I do have a family and my income will be important.

Those of you who have been doing this a while, which would you recommend for a new groomer?

Option One:

Local doggie daycare (8 minutes from my house) that has a grooming area. I’d be working semi alone (one other pet stylist who works part time), taking 50% commission + tips, and would have to try and bring in new clientele as well. I set my own hours and as “backup” income, when it’s slow I’d have the option to work in the daycare area for minimum wage. They would support me in continuing education (classes, seminars, etc). I’d be expected to do 3/4 dogs eventually, but it’s quality over quantity.

Option Two

Work for a set income ($20 per hour + tips) at a well established grooming salon. There are 5 other groomers, and they have all been in the industry for 5 plus years. The owner enters competitions (and supports her staff doing this as well) and has a fixed goal of me eventually doing 6/7 dogs a day. It’s a fast paced environment and the level of quality coming out is amazing. I would eventually need to get to this level as well, and get faster in a short period of time. It’s located in a different city 20 mins away.

What are everyone’s thoughts? Ultimately I’ll make the call, but I’m curious what others have done in their career and what would take me further.

UPDATE
  • I ended up going with another groom shop completely; I’m making 50% commission AND working with an owner/other groomers who are skilled at what they do ☺️, and receptive to teaching me! I’m also being trained to do some Asian fusion grooms 🥰.

@dualgemini The daycare job would probably be more enjoyable- more relaxed and owners aren't expecting perfection in the grooms. However I think continuing education is really important and I think you should jump on that second salon. Working around experienced groomers and being able to watch and ask them questions is huge in the beginning.

@shofargod Yes that’s a good point - ideally I want to stay with whatever shop I choose for a couple years … if I’m eventually doing 6/7 dogs a day, $20 per hour isn’t adequate compensation for my time/skills/labor

@dualgemini If you’re gonna be a groomer, you’re gonna have to learn to be ok with salon hopping until you get your thing sorted out. This is a tremendously toxic industry, whether it’s because of customers, owners, or even fellow groomers. My spidey senses started tingling when you started talking about option 2. “Fast paced environment” almost always means “we’re going to find a way to make your time here suck”. If those other groomers have 5 years of experience, do 6/7 dogs a day, put out consistently perfect dogs AND still make 20 an hour, then they are being exploited. If they’re all ok being exploited than they are going to gang up on you and make you feel bad for not wanting to be treated like shit. You also don’t want to “grow up” as a groomer surrounded by that. I know you said you wanted to do your own thing in the basement, but you will never afford it at 20 an hour.

@shofargod Okay I actually really like this scenario that you’ve presented - I do wonder about it being a “bullying” environment. Also, thank you for acknowledging “salon hopping”, I know a lot of groomers who have worked at 10 plus salons in only a few years, but it’s because they don’t take shit and are trying to find their “fit”. I did wonder if this was normal industry standard, and I guess it might be?

Back