Trainer ecollar that also works with fence

csaw

We live right on a major intersection of a 70 mile per hour 8 lane federal highway. Our one year old puppy is like a velociraptor constantly looking for a chance to get out onto the front street through our garage.

She dashes through traffic. It is a horror show. We obviously do our best, but she’s super smart and it can’t happen even one. more. time. 😥

I hate the idea of her wearing a second trainer device on her neck. Has someone found an ecollar that works for training and as a zone/fence type barrier?

We have a 9 foot fence in the back. A dog run. A series of three doors (which we try hard to keep closed) all have to all be open for her to get out onto the street. But in the rare case it happens, it is REALLY bad.

I need the electric deterrent at doors 1 and 2.

@csaw
We live right on a major intersection of an 70 mile per hour 8 lane federal highway. Our one year old puppy is like a velociraptor constantly looking for a chance to get out onto the street through our garage. She dashes through traffic.

You guys need physical barriers.

The problem with an invisible fence collar is that if a dog sees something they really want, they're going to run thru the shock to get it. That's especially true with a puppy.

There are plenty of dogs who get picked up by AC who have invisible fence collars on. Once a dog blasts thru the "fence" they are gone, gone gone.

@davecb We have a barriers. We have a good fence.

The problem is the garage door in the front. There are 2 different ways into the garage. Both of them have a chamber of two doors that have to be open BEFORE the dog can get into the garage. And the garage is almost always closed.

But once every 4 weeks the system will fail. While we try very hard, Prisoners get out of prison. I need a deterrent to get her away from door #1.

@csaw
But once every 4 weeks the system will fail.

why is it failing? Are there kids living there leaving a door open?

I'd teach your dog to not go thru open doors unless released, but if you are not there to enforce that, and the dog has already learned that running out is fun, she's going to get out again.

I'd work on training the humans. :)

@csaw I wouldn’t rely on an electronic fence type collar to be a forever solution. It couldn’t hurt as a complementary solution but what will help vastly more is drilling respect for thresholds into the dog daily. Over and over again.

If you do use an electronic collar I’d get a Mini Educator and manually correct the dog for leaving the safe zone. Having the stim be manual means that you can make coming back INSIDE the house the behavior that turns off the stim.

Also, you need a good recall so you’re not just helplessly calling for her as she plays chicken with cars. Luckily recall isn’t not hard to train, nor is it hard to negatively reinforce with an e-collar.

Also your dog probably needs to work on respect for handler in general and impulse control in general.

@csaw I doubt you'll find very good quality ones.

My dog on an ecollar is about a 6-15 depending on distractions, that's out of 100 odd levels.

Most fences will have a few levels maybe up to 10? Which means if they dual with a collar then that's going to be so much higher.

It's like when people say only buy good quality collars instead of the cheap ones because you literally do get what you pay for.

Can you not block off the garage?