Tomorrow we call the vet

3john3

8 months, 12 days.

That's how long it's been since we took in a then 1 year old GSD/Husky mix named Flynn. A friend sent me a photo last summer asking if I could help with a dog that came from a house with questionable ownership of Flynn. I've rescued animals since I was 17 and given he was still a puppy, it's almost a blank slate. I couldn't have been more wrong.

We gave him his time to decompress with boundaries in our home- no open doors, no yelling (which can be difficult at times with children ranging from 6-15), don't approach the dog suddenly, etc. We set up baby gates, a crate, new food & water dish separate from our other dog's, did umbilical leashing, collar & harness w/ 2 leashes, gave a separate area to use the bathroom, worked with high value treats & clicker & e-collar. He was slowly introduced to our 17 year old dog and 7 year old cat. We slowly introduced him to the local dog park where it's just the same crew of 7 dogs early in the morning. You name it, we've done it. Clean bill of health, learned to like going for drives, loved walks on long leashes on the shoreline.

In 8 months 12 days, we've slowly lost our minds, our safety, our abilities to exist in and out of our home because of Flynn.

Flynn has never stopped using the bathroom all over the house. We've done diapers- he has attacked us when he rips one off to chew on. Pee pads - same aggression. He has chewed through two crates and four baby gates. He chewed through three leashes, broke a tooth on a chain leash, has pulled himself out of several harnesses or snapped buckles when on a walk. Flynn can't be around other dogs, which now includes our old girl. He can't be around anyone at all ever whether he's inside or out. We can no longer walk him if another animal is outside without him lunging to attack. We can't take him on drives anymore- if he sees another animal, he will try to rip the seat & door apart to get out.

He's bitten two children, broken skin both times, both without provocation, no stitches needed. Those aren't the only two bites but they're the most severe.

We doubled down on boundaries, muzzles, vet check to make sure he's healthy, try to reduce his triggers but those triggers seem to multiply overnight. We can't rehome a dangerous dog. Shelters & rescues won't go near him.

Just yesterday he had gotten a hold of a stuffed animal, ran under one of my children's beds & was on the attack to anyone who was in the room. My child came screaming to help. While we've done what we can to mitigate what Flynn sees as issues, yesterday was the absolute first time where I knew that there is no quality of life for us let alone him. We can't have company, we can't have our other pets live their lives around him, we can't leave anything anywhere without the risk of aggressive resource guarding.

I know what call I have to make tomorrow. For all of us, I need to dial those numbers. I have to make a plan to fight to get leashes and harnesses and muzzles onto him to fight to get him safely into a vehicle & transport him to a strange place with stranger people and strange animals. I won't be able to give Flynn a good "last day" because even that day will be filled with the most unimaginable stresses he could ever face.

We've done everything and I still feel like a failure. I'm sad for the life Flynn should have had. He's so beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. And I am a mess.

An edit: To everyone commenting- thank you. I joined this sub and was pouring through posts, comments, recommendations from those going through similar situations with their beloved pups. I held onto the same hope that so many of you have with wanting to see your four legged babies through to being the best family dog. I love all of the successes, I feel for those who had to choose a peaceful sleep to ease their dogs' emotional pain.
For each and every comment from all of you, I cannot thank you enough. I don't know any of you personally but this sub feels like a family. I didn't know where else to go to talk about my boy and the choices we are being forced to make except here.

To the mods of this sub- Thank you. For giving us all a place to belong and help one another, thank you ❤️

@3john3 I’m sorry you have this choice to make. I would recommend getting a vet that comes to your home. He should have the least stress as possible.

@bonbon87 Yes, this. Leaving the vet without your dog is really awful. Better to be home where you can mourn without an audience of strangers, if possible.

@bbgg I agree with this. The dr that came to our house also gave us meds to feed him so he would go to sleep before she came up for the procedure- so he never even had to see a stranger. It was still horrible and hard but I am so thankful for that kindness. Thinking of you, OP.

@3john3 The biggest of hugs. The amount of time and effort you’ve put into Flynn, I’m 100% sure even the post couldn’t cover it all. You are making the right decision for Flynn and everyone involved.

Please don’t beat yourself up on something that is certainly not a result or outcome of all the training you’ve done with Flynn. We can clearly see you’ve put in all the blood, sweat, and tears, and then some, several times over. Many dogs would be LUCKY to have you as their owner. I’ve seen people give up for a lot less.

Make sure to give yourself and your family time to heal and adapt to the new norm. Take the time to grieve and take your life back from what was.

@kalboon He is so much dog for such a little boy but fuck sakes, all of the "bad" aspects aside, he's a huge part of our lives that I wouldn't change. I just can't change parts of him.

I'm not ready. At all. I love his stupid face and sassy attitude. On his good days, it's nothing to have a full on conversation with him. I swear he believes he's talking to me. I can give him a look if I have something he wants and he will immediately lay & wait. Some commands came so naturally.

One of my proudest moments was when I taught him to sit between my legs on a "Through" command and then I hold a hand under his chin to settle him down momentarily.

We have a 17 year old dog who deserves a calm, safe geriatric life. Flynn won't get that and I am not ok with it.

@3john3 So sorry you're going through this. I wish you and your family strength and Flynn as much peace as he will accept.

Someone else suggested it but I wanted to echo them in about asking the vet to come to your home. If you mention his extreme reactivity, I'm sure many vets would rather come to your home rather than be faced with a dog who is already so far past their threshold in the clinic. Or if you are close, they might be able to give you something to make getting him into his harness and muzzle and the car easier.

@wherelovegoes We do have a number of vets in the area that I will call today and ask about a home visit.

Thankfully I do have medications here that I will pray he will let me give him when it is our time.

@3john3 We used Lap of Love for our senior girl with cancer. I highly recommend this route, as it would save you and him a lot of stress. And would allow him to be in his home when he passes. It's the least we can do to let them go with dignity in a place we are comfortable. Idk if you have a yard or if he lives being outside, but we did the process in the grass in our yard and she got to be in her favorite place. My heart breaks for you!

@hardrocker I mentioned in another comment we had to do a BE and the doc gave us meds to put in his food that would put him to sleep (in his favorite sunny spot) and then she came up for the procedure so he never saw her. We also used Lap of Love. For such a difficult moment I’m so thankful for the empathy and kindness they had. Definitely recommend.

@3john3 We have a pet crematorium by us that will come to your house for euthanasia and take care of the aftermath. Not sure on pricing, but if the vet is unable to come to you, this option may work.

Sending hugs

@3john3 Just wanted to mention-at 1yr he most certainly was not a blank slate. All of his critical socialization periods already happened. He wasnt raised since birth by a responsible breeder using puppy culture and then sent home at 10 weeks to responsible people who continued his socialization, training and curated experiences for him.

Hell, when it comes down to it, they arent even blank slates at birth. Genetics and dam/sire pairings matter a whole lot.

None of it was your fault.

@blastcat I say blank slate in comparison to older dogs we've had come through our doors either temporarily or long term. We also don't have the full story of his prior home but have learned in the months since taking him in that many milestones were totally missed & his socialization was nearly none. He became a basement dog, from what I now understand.

Our old girl Jenny came to us a decade ago at roughly 7-8 years old. Plunked on our step to dog-sit until the owner got back on their feet. Cèilidh (Rest in peace, old boy) was also 7 when he came into our lives. Both took a massive amount of time to undo some bad and some not so bad behaviours. Both eventually became the most wonderful dogs and were both worth every bit of work.

Flynn is still worth all of the work but it's become safety & liability issues that we cannot continue. I know it's not my fault for his first year but I feel at fault for not being able to do for him what we've done with Jenny and Cèilidh.

@3john3 I'm so sorry you are dealing with this, it's so hard and heartbreaking either direction. You can look at having the vet come to your home if that would make his time easier and take a mental load off yourself. You have done the best you can, just try to breath and know that you are doing what's best for all.

@3john3 Sorry for all of this OP. One suggestion though; my step-sister had her old dog put down in their own house, the vet came to them. Not sure if there's one in your area that would do that but it seems like it would save you a lot of stress.

@3john3 Have you considered at-home euthanasia? It might be a better option that trying to get him to the vet's office. Maybe a little less stressful for you all.

I'm so sorry you are all going through this. Thank you for doing your best with Flynn and trying to give him the best life. Also, thank you for making the hard decision and not trying transfer the responsibility to someone else. Sending all the good vibes and love and hugs to you, your family, and Flynn.

@3john3 You are doing the best thing. After the Vet appointment.
Take a really big deep breath and breathe out slowly. Before going home take a long slow walk. (HUGS) (HUGS). AND MORE (HUGS).
When you do get home have a good cry and go have a peaceful dinner. Knowing you did right for your family.

@3john3 I am so sorry for what you are going through, you went above and beyond, but sometimes they are just not fixable. Try not to feel guilty, but proud of how hard you worked to make the impossible happen. The responsibility to keep your family, pets, and strangers safe outweighs the chances of this dog ever having a good, anxiety free life.