Thinking about getting a puppy? Be ready

@jujus It was rough at first. I lived in a tiny upstairs apartment with no yard. Potty training was a disaster, and she didn't finally start getting the hang of it until about 9 months. We still aren't perfect, but she's down to one or two accidents a week.

Fortunately, I ended up needing to move out of that apartment for unrelated reasons, and was able to find a large 3 bedroom apartment on the first floor with a decent yard, and within walking distance of a park.

I work a lot, so it helped that my boyfriend moved in with me, and we have opposite shifts. So there's usually always at least one of us around to entertain and exercise her.

We invested into lots of toy/stimulus activity varieties to keep her busy when we truly can't take her out running like she would prefer.

The park we take her to has a big fenced in area, so we can let her run and throw some balls for her to chase across the field on days where I am just too tired for a real walk (which unfortunately happens more often than I'd like because of my job).

Boyfriend's parents also adore her and live out in the country, so she gets to run wild through the woods and farm areas on the weekends with the other dogs.

I definitely do not think I would have been able to make the best of a high energy breed alone, so BF and his family have been a blessing.

She's about a year old now and turning into a great dog and friend.

@islandray So mine was an impulse adoption. Someone was giving away free puppies in a parking lot and she was the last one left. I took her and I had NO idea what breed she was and neither did they. I took her to the vet and they told me she was a husky/ Australian Shepard mix. She’s a ball of fire... let’s just say that. I simply adore her ❤️

@jujus I have learned. When we first got her I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. AND I work 8 hours a day. I tried to crate train her ASAP and potty train her. She still has accidents as I can only come home during lunch to let her out. She now understands that she only uses the puppy pads when it’s needed. I basically have to either take her on daily long walks on hiking trails or I take her to the dog park for about 1.5 hours a day. She WILL let me know when she’s ready to go home or when she’s tired. She’s so dang smart. During the time I’m at work I give her something keep busy, bones, puzzles etc. I have all types of toys for her to keep stimulated. She’s a handful but she’s my handful ❤️

@islandray I did this with my Great Dane pup too. I was honest enough with myself to know that I wasn’t going to start being active enough to satisfy a high energy dog, and it’s been fantastic. We’re all really happy (dog included) at home just chilling and enjoying short walks or playing in the yard. No puppy blues, no destructive behaviour, no frustration and regrets (which means the dog is happier since we’re more relaxed too).

@islandray I have a male Havanese who only gets to live to see another day because he finally got all of his shots and can go for walks. This cured the indoor marking that had already begun and he stopped sniffing around and investigating the house out of boredom for hours on end. Now he'll actually chill for a bit in the same room with us. He's a good boy, though.

@islandray This is a really good point. My super-easy puppy is a shih tzu mix. The coton de tulear puppy my mom got two weeks before I got mine is higher energy, but still an easy puppy overall. Even the more energetic coton puppy can easily meet his exercise needs zooming around my mom's big living room for a while. I never thought about it until we got these puppies, but there's a lot more time for training when you don't have to spend hours every day walking the puppy or taking them to parks/dog parks so they can run and get their energy out. I hadn't been around purpose-bred lapdogs like these much before and they're really amazing little creatures.

I'm certainly not saying these type of breeds are superior. I grew up with dogs like labs and border collies and absolutely love them, but I also grew up on a big farm. I live in a small space with a very small yard now and don't want to put in the necessary hours to exercise a high-energy dog, hence getting a shih tzu.

Honestly, my puppy experiences have been fantastic (nothing like OP describes), and I'm sure the care I've taken with choosing breeds that fit my lifestyle and also choosing my specific puppy from the litter has played a big part in that. I'm loving my puppy so much that I'm already making plans to get another one from the same breeder next year, lol.

@islandray Oooh, exciting! How old is your first puppy now? I've been debating how long I should wait, since I want to make sure my current puppy is still young enough to really enjoy playing with his brother/sister.

@islandray i'm in the same boat. i wanted my first dog (outside of the one that was with my family) now that im married and have a family of my own i wanted the experience of raising a dog from the beginning. including having a better overall experience of training and managing behaviours...and i have thoroughly enjoyed the journey but i dont think my husband did much hahah.

lets just say the next one we are getting will be older, lazier and adopted from a rehoming situation haha...

@islandray So, my 2yo lab is a reactive anxious wreck. I wanted a dog with good temperament that is easily trainable and everyone I know that is a true “dog person” say that the only dogs they’ll ever own are GSD— from a reputable breeder, or you get the anxious hot mess ones.

So far he seems to be a great dog. I don’t mind the high energy, it’s literally all the “normal” puppy things that make me want to stab my eyes out daily.

@pastmoon We have an 8mo old GSD that was a pound puppy(they thought she was a mix but she seems pretty much straight GSD). She's been a puppy, but overall I think pretty amazing. Smart as a whip and no matter how annoying she is during the day when she calms down at night and just stares adoringly at you it makes it all worth it.

She has a lot of energy but if we got for a nice 2-3 mile walk, a good 30+ minute game of fetch, and training every day she does pretty well haha.

@islandray I've got a 10 week old gsd puppy who is absolutely crazy.

I wanted her precisely because I am super active and I wanted a running/hiking buddy and was looking forwards to spending time playing and training her every day.

However... my problem is my pup does not sleep when tierd... she can't go running until she's at least a year old so I went all in on training, food games, tug, chase etc.

But she gets zoomies and starts attacking everyone and everything. I thought at forst she was bored and would try more stuff. Eventually I'd have to put her in her crate as would have other things to do and poof! Alseep instantly. Turns out I'm overstimulating her... ahh so hard

@pastmoon We got a puppy because we are WFH for the next 6~ months and I can’t imagine getting a puppy ever again if I was working in the office! I am able to work on potty training much more efficiently and he is able to play all day with our other dog (6) and get his energy out.

Though the first two weeks were tough. Our older dog hated him for at least three days (like would not let the puppy near him!) and crate training at night did not go well he cries bloody murder (still does but we’re getting there)

@jwin That's the only reason we could get a puppy too. I live work too far from my house to be able to let him out for a sufficient amount of time at lunch. The only thing I'm thankful for in this whole covid mess.