Terrible decision to make - looking for ... I don't know

velocity

Long story incoming. My family has always had dogs, for about the last 18 years. At most we've had 3 at once (and some cats) and over 18 years we've had 7 dogs, 2 cats, and a rat, all rescues. We tend to adopt hard cases and make it work. All to say we are no strangers to difficult personalities and working through problems.

We currently have a 13 year old rescue from the Caribbean who as of the last 18 months is arthritic and not terribly affectionate and a little grumpy. She hates when other dogs go near her because they usually bump her or want to play and she is sore. So she is snappy. She is on meds which help, but she is slowly declining.

About the same time, maybe 18 months ago, we rescued a 70 lb Shephard from a bad situation/kill shelter in Georgia. She was terribly untrained. Bolted, skittish, ran away multiple times (and came back eventually), chased everything, wasn't house broken, not crate trained, aggressive to everything including food, pets, strangers, etc. We worked on her intensively and she also went to 6 week boarding/intense training. She is now recall trained, perfectly house broken, crate trained, good with people, good with food, not destructive, etc. That said, she does not handle unfamiliar dogs well at all, and the trainers said she likely never will. She also (if we can't distract her) kills any small animal in the yard she can catch (mostly chipmonks and rabbits).

Finally we've introduced a 11 week old shephard puppy into the mix that our friends gave us, they just started breeding and wanted us to keep one. The 3 year old Shepard loves the puppy and it great with her. This is fairly irrelevant to the situation but I note it because the Shephard is good with this addition.

Things were actually quite good for the first 6-8 months. Unfortunately the shepherd and the Caribbean dog (CD) are having dangerous problems, for the last 8 months. The Shephard will bump into the CD accidently or playfully, who will snap at her. At which point the Shephard simply attacks and will absolutely not let up. We think she is trying to kill the CD. Breaking them up is nearly impossible. They've had 2 significant incidents in the last month and 4 incidents this year. The last but one incident sent me to the hospital for stitches and a dislocated shoulder trying to break it up. Last night while I was away on a work trip, at 2am, the Shephard bumped the CD, there was minor growling but nothing serious, and then the Shephard went insane and literally dragged the CD into the backyard violently shaking and latched on. The CD was dead weight, not fighting and just crying. This is all on a blink camera and its terrible. She is trying to kill her for sure.

We don't know what to do at this point. Well, we do. We think the Shephard needs to be put down. Animal control, taken away. Immediately. She is dangerous and likely an uncontrollable killer. We've been careful to manage and frankly lucky I think. My mental problem is she is incredibly sweet with us and our kids. She loves them and protects them, sleeps with them, etc. And they are very attached to her. So this is a horrible decision.

Not sure what I am looking for here, just some conversation and help with this I guess. I know what has to be done but looking for some helpful words.

@velocity Man any dog could snap and you know that one has. I got a Dogo I care for with PTSD from our local law enforcement shooting his dad in front of him. I ain’t terribly experienced with dogs either and Dogos ain’t for beginners, but I would never let him around a child. Anyone under 18 can’t decide for themselves if Mouh is safe for them to be around so I have to decide and I decided not safe. Mouh is the sweetest most loving kindhearted soul, until you trigger him. Then you better have something sturdy to put between him and whatever you want to live. He’s put me behind a door before, he only nipped me but bet I was knocking things (as planned) over on my way to that door. His house is arranged so that if he is triggered we can snap the action plan of air horn, bells, shovel handles, door, gate and one golf club. These are all to distract or block, I’d let him eat me before I hit him. But dude, yeah grown ups only friend. Kids are kids they’re learning, they’re practicing, they’re master of little especially a dog with what us likely emotional problems. We don’t know if Shepard learned to mask or is actually healed, I would assume masking… absolutely adore Shepherds btw and they were my favorite dogs until I met me Mouh Mouh Dogo and his brother and uncle.

Maybe you can find an adult who understands the emotional outburst like a veteran or a trainer or someone else I can’t think of. If it’s a full blooded shepherd maybe they can be worked by an adult, shepherds need to work, they get wonky if they don’t. My shepherd had a few trick routines we did for stimulation a few times a day and all day a predictable schedule. Hope this helps anymore then none.

Mouh also taught me I can play dead on instinct just saying….

You can’t run from a Dogo so you better think fast, glad I am not a kid… young me woulda done something dumb like forgot you can’t run from a Dogo dog.

@velocity Very tough when dogs don’t get along. What you have described, however, doesn’t sound like an “uncontrollable killer”. It sounds more like a dog who has been sending increasingly strong messages that something about the CD dog is really stressing her out. Unfortunately, her messages weren’t heard over the last 8 months and now this has happened. You also added a puppy to the mix so the stress is high.

I definitely would separate the dogs immediately and all the time. Get gates and don’t let them interact at all. Let them each have separate time in family areas while you work things out.

Have you done any training to address the reactivity that is happening. Have you looked into certified animal behaviourists? Only those who use non-aversive methods. Do know happened to the Shepherd at the board and train? Sadly, many of these places use harsh corrections to get results fast. Later on, the trauma the dogs have endured comes out in reactive behaviours.

For hope check out on IG: Hillary Aiges: https://instagram.com/itsme_lil_b?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA== I find Hillary inspirational. Her speckled hearts program supports rescue dogs specifically.

Meagan Karnes https://instagram.com/thecollaredscholar?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

All About Training Dogs: https://instagram.com/allabouttrainingdogs?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Pawsome University https://instagram.com/pawsomeuniversity?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Adding: Chasing and killing small animals is different than attacking dogs. The first is prey drive and is a hunting instinct. The second is a fear response. Checkout the Premack Principle for how to reduce/control prey drive.