Study shows the behavior of crossbreeds can differ from their parent breeds

@lumiere I once was telling a doodle breeder if they really wanted to do it right (I'm into sled dogs as my reference point) they'll need to get 10-40 adult dogs who are unrelated enough to breed. Then breed through to like F10 to start to stabilize the end result for coat and temperment. Either sell a lot of dogs, or you'll have to hard cull to reach that point. Then the housing you'll need proper chain setups or some really good fenced kennels and runs.

When I asked how or what job/interest a large group like that could be engaged in they didn't know. Breeding dogs that don't have a focus or goal is gonna create instability.

@peteyg You could see it in my kennel this year. 5 dogs who are mostly malamute, some of them some siberian, and every dog roughly 40-50% Canadian Inuit dog. Bred intentionally for a high drive for sled working, high resource drive, high prey drive/hunting ability.

2 dogs mom with genetics out of that same kennel ad other 5. Border collie dad. They were like big cold hardy collies. Not mentally hard, scared of resource compettion react in anxiety to it.

Also the Inuit dog genes I've seen similar things happen with other dogs but with them. The other dogs never thought they were submitting. Then the fight escalated. Among self they fight to a stabilized point where one dog pinned. It's like a body language cue was lost.

They respect a dominante dog. Hyper agressive rehome I took on (mom to 4 of my dogs) . Fought with the bigger male 5th I have. She rolled over. Never fought again for those 3 months. Tesla the female Inuit dog would go at a A
Alaska husky Iditarod distance dog I had , female Journey. Pupo the bigger male huffs while I ski over to intervene. Tesla stops. Journey doesn't recognize this boss dog thing and doesn't respect it. Fight restarts worse. Tesla found a home with no other dogs doing good. Journey lives with 15 other race dogs and is happier. Loves the energy in the dog yard. I can see it in her face she likes them more than did me.

Now I only aim to keep dogs all of similar drive, hardiness and working capacity.

I had a good dog; Alaska husky GSD, Golden 1/3rd each. 10% boxer 10% cocker spaniel 14%supermutt siberian/lab/American bulldog. 40lbs and he had a split drive between run until his body collapsed, observe report protect. I trained to lower intensity on biting and do soft and expect you don't and he was good with a alert bark and being watchful. Wouldn't go more than 1/2 acre from me. Alaska huskies will go 30 miles from you. He was a bad puller though and got easily discouraged. By middle age was good for a sedan tire for an hour but nothing more and not good pulling a sled. Wanted to focus on handler.

Those border collie dogs like that. Want to focus on handler. I got 80lbs of dog food in exchange for them and found them a nice pet home. I took them on needing a home. No work tenacity for sledding.

Back