Solo visit to Petsmart made me feel so much better

habanero

I went without my dog, for obvious reasons.

I saw 7 or 8 dogs while I was there. All were either going nuts or visibly very uncomfortable. Only one was truly relaxed and happy. A true unicorn pup.

It made me realize that most dogs are, in fact, reactive under enough stress. For any number of reasons, ours are just more sensitive. They reach their thresholds quicker. That’s literally all there is to it. And although we have a hard burden, we are so lucky to be learning from our reactive babies.

I’ve only been a solo dog owner for five months, so I don’t want to sound holier than thou, but this little shopping trip made me realize that my reactive girl has taught me SO MUCH about being a good dog mama. Most of the owners I saw today seemed totally unaware of their dogs’ body language.

A few had no choice but to be aware, because their dog was flipping the fuck out. These owners probably don’t have to deal with this kind of thing very often, and they clearly had no idea how to handle it. Among these people, I saw sharp corrections. I saw prong collars. I saw leash pops. I even saw a dog getting slapped in the face with a piece of paper. I wanted to do some slapping of my own.

These dogs were all doing their best, and truthfully so were the owners. Five months ago, I had “done a ton of research” before adopting my dog, but I had no idea that C——r M—-n was so full of shit. I listened to the suggestion of a prong collar when my adoption coach suggested it. (Never bought one, but considered it uncritically.)

On the frustrating days, just remember what a great, challenging teacher your reactive dog is. S/he won’t be your last dog, I would imagine. Just think of all you are learning. Think of what an amazing dog parent you’ll be for the rest of your life.

And what a good neighbor you’ll be to other dogs. You’ll never approach a new dog in an overwhelming, intimidating way, assuming all dogs are big lovey mush balls with no personal boundaries. You’ll never be that “oh it’s ok, he’s friendly!” Asshole (no explanation needed.) You’ll never be that judgmental turd that makes someone go home and cry because of the unkind thing you said while they were struggling and doing their best.

I’m giving my girl so many extra loves tonight. She is the best teacher I’ve ever had.

@habanero This reminded me of an encounter I cannot get out of my head. We were (purposefully) walking in a wide open space (church parking lot). Saw dogs coming from three directions so we retreat. As that happens, all three dogs react... badly. I only saw one of the three (the one making the least fuss) out of the corner of my eye... His owner was punching him in the face. WTF! And, it was one of those designer doodles. I was dumbfounded. I could not believe my eyes.

I never wanted to know as much as I do about dog training, but I saw that and was instantly grateful for everything I've been through with my looney tunes rescue dog.

@stateemil “Looney tunes rescue dog” oh my goodness you made laugh so hard!!!!! I have one of those too! Rescue, no breed other than the good ole street dog, but so darn elegant and noble with his 60lbs. Will turn 10 in the meantime, but looks like 2. He ages well. I can only wish 😂

@stateemil There was a person in my building who would “spank” his dog if she reacted to mine (and mine would flip the FUCK out so it’s not that dog’s fault). She was a little spaniel and he’d flip her around and “spank” [beat] her to make her stop. Spoiler alert, it didn’t work. It made me be extra careful to avoid them so he didn’t hit his dog. I can’t believe people think that’s going to help things.

@mamamarch27 That's how my mom is with her dog. For example, he'll run out the front door and down the street if he gets any opportunity and when she finally catches him she spanks him and carries him home. I've repeatedly tried to explain to her that he probably just wants to go check out all the shit he can see from the windows all day and that hitting him when he comes/gets caught will only deter him from letting her get close. She won't take him for walks and won't use any positive reinforcement (she just hits and yells) and just complains that 'nothing works!'. He was house trained when she got him but now he pisses all over the house so much it fucking stinks like the entrance of a heavily trafficked dog park. I feel so bad for the little guy...

@glmlost That dog is being abused - hit and denied exercise. You genuinely could anonymously call animal control/your local animal welfare organisation on her because it’s extremely credible that someone other than you would have seen her beat her dog.

@habanero My first dog trainer said that lots of dogs are reactive but when it’s 10 pounds it’s cute. When it’s 50+ not so much

Now when I walk around I realize how reactive sooo many dogs are!

@jesusisallineed Lmao! I can only imagine. Bad vibes in that store. (Maybe because there’s a vet onsite.) still, I see the human nonsense and can’t help but wonder, is this the “socialization” we’re missing out on with our reactive dogs?

@habanero its funny because my dog goes to the PetSmart vet (i’ve been meaning to switch) and i think because there’s SO MUCH going on that he can’t focus on one thing, and he’s relatively ok (compared to other dogs i see there). i try to keep him away from other dogs/people as much as possible but for the most part he just wants to sniff all the spots other dogs have peed in the store lol

@texasharper My dog is extremely uppity and reactive when I bring him to the vet only when they try and bring him away from me initially. He's very happy going in period he's very happy when he's away from me being tested but the actual handoff he freaks out about and has to be muzzled for..

@habanero I love this because it’s totally true. We had friends over the other day and this dude came up to me, he was nice about it but he was like “hey so i was petting your 1 dog and she put her tail between her legs and didn’t like it?!?”

I was like...”so....she was telling you she didn’t like it so then you shouldn’t do it?”

He said he’d never met a dog before that doesn’t like attention.

They normally wag their tails.

In the meantime our dog had walked up to us and she was wagging her tail but had her ears flat. So I showed him that right now it be easy to assume she’s happy but actually she’s nervous because of the ears pinned back.

He was surprised but I could tell it was a little “click” moment for him that actually not all dogs like strangers and wagging tails don’t always mean happy dogs.

@habanero “You’ll never be that judgemental turd that makes someone go home and cry...”

This actually happened to me not too long ago. My rescue of (then) one month was having a meltdown because he was frustrated at not being able to greet every dog on leash and this garbage person with his also reactive dog started doing the “talk to your dog but actually you are talking to the human” thing whilst stopping and staring at me trying to calm down my own dog that was reacting to his barking dog. My dog is 9 months old, he doesn’t look it because he’s a giant breed, he’s a rescue who has never been on leash before, and this guy has the audacity to approach me with his yapping dog and lecture me about not bringing my “shitty, out of control” dog to the very public park we were in. With lots and lots of room to avoid other dogs and people. I’m over here just trying to get my new pup used to his leash and different environments, dude. Why are you exacerbating the situation? I’m not prone to getting my feelings hurt by asshole strangers but that one really got me. I went home and cried. But we pick ourselves up, we try again. My boy is now 3 months with me and making progress every day. But I still think about that guy.

@habanero Some days I honestly wished that I was blissfully unaware of dog body language and would not care about my dog reacting like some owners. Ofcourse I have learned a lot and I will be one less factor for others to stress about when struggling with a reactive dog, but after almost crying out in the street today (was it not that at that moment I again had to take action to avoid escalation) I feel like it is all a little much. It just seems that whatever I do sometimes I can not avoid stress for my dog.

And yes the whole dominance theory thing is poison. And to be honest I do feel that a lot of reactivity has it's root cause in that theory. No matter if you are actively partaking in it. There's insecure dogs being forced past triggers making them reactive rather than getting the time to learn there is nothing to worry about, there's reactive dogs being harshly punished. But then there are also insecure dogs that learn other dogs are something to worry about because other owners are being taught that forcing a reactive dog past another dog and punishing if it reacts is the way to go (I can't count the dogs that barked and lunged at mine, before mine started to be reactive, because the owners simply kept walking and would kick their dog for reacting). Or dogs being bitten by other dogs because their owners "did not see the signals they normally would be given" because they literally punished it out of the dog.

@quakerplayer Good thing you (and lots of others) are advocating against dominance theory. I'm doing my own part in educating family members, new dog owners I know and even sneakily my boyfriends parents who "always owned a dog" about the dangers of dominance theory and that there are other science based ways. Got told by my aunt a while ago that our rescue-dog not wanting to go inside his crate was us not being good leaders (the poor thing was shaking and drooling when we closed the door so we decided to let him find a comfortable spot on a bed in the hallway).

Let's just hope that little by little dominance theory is going to die out.

Back