Should I wake pup up that’s been napping for 3 hours?

matthew2414

Hi guys!! Just got my 8 week old cocker spaniel on Monday. So far, she’s honestly been the best puppy I could’ve asked for. Our breeders trained and took care of her so well she literally came home knowing out to use her doggy door immediately. She has had no accidents in the house or her crate as of yet. It’s actually been my senior dog to have the accidents. Anyways, she’s taking to her crate pretty well, and after our morning routine of play, potty, and breakfast at 6am-7/730am she’s ready for her nap. I put her down for her nap in her crate and she’ll pass out till 10/1030 before she cries. I know to get her when she’s crying at this point because she, so far, has never cried after settling if she didn’t need to go. So moral of the story, should I wake her or just let her sleep?

Was told I owed dog tax lolz. Here’s the baby:

@matthew2414 The rules of babies apply a lot to puppies lol

Never wake a sleeping puppy. They need like 20 hours of sleep. If you wake it then it will be overtired and cranky.

@kesh77 I have an 8 year old Italian Greyhound, and this is absolutely true. He has 2 modes: 1) lightning fast, zoomies, barking, crazy man (20% of the time) and 2) sleeping, under a blanket, being baby (80% of the time). People always say I must be so busy making sure he gets enough exercise and I just tell them he's lazier than I am, lol.

@introspectivemuse Haha this is my older dog. Adopted him when he was 3yo from my job at a dog daycare (he was a foster from a local rescue group) because my boss begged me to take him home. I was confused because he’s literally a couch potato and I almost never saw him awake at work. Then she showed me a bunch of CCTV footage. I’d leave for the day around 8pm every day and he would start screaming his head off. Gnawing giant holes in the doors and eventually, the walls. He caused around $4k of damage in a short time. Naturally I didn’t want a dog this destructive in my home, but I told her I’d give it a shot and just see. Sure enough, he only just sleeps. Totally content even when I’m not home, he really just wanted to live with me lol

@kesh77 I have an adult rhodesian ridgeback. I am working from home today and he has spent most of the morning snoozing in the sun. I even got a dirty look from him when a video call noise woke him up! He takes sleeping very seriously!

@jacobdo77 I would wake my puppy up at night for potty training. She was not cranky, but she was super cuddly and didn’t want to get out of bed. If I let her sleep passed the time she was able to hold her bladder, she’d literally wake up and instant pee.

@jacobdo77 This rule doesn’t apply to babies haha. If newborns/infants are sleeping too long, you need to wake them up due to SIDS and also feed them. They don’t have queues regulated yet for hunger. So no this does not apply to babies.

@jacobdo77 Agreed, but still your comparison is false. And can’t have people thinking a newborn should be sleeping for hours at a time. Yes baby sleeps most the day but sleep intervals are not anywhere comparable to a pup.

@anonymoussingleguy So it's a saying that alot of people use and babies should be be sleeping for hours at a time.

You can check breathing and rotate newborns without waking them up also. I never had to wake my kids up after they hit a month or so.