Rhode Island Dog Owner Beware: K9 Instincts Board-to-Train

jk100991

I’m writing this after a couple years of going back and forth on whether or not I wanted to publicly speak about my experience with this training facility. The way that Matt Betts and his team reply to negative reviews of their business is antagonistic and dismissive, and I have felt that posting a review on Google would not be productive for this reason. Instead, I’m posting it here in the hopes that I can help other reactive/fearful dog owners find alternative training methods that will 1) address the root cause of the reactive behavior and 2) facilitate a fear-free bond between dog and owner.

I got my dog from a reputable breeder when I was 19 years old. I will not disclose his breed since it is an uncommon one and I do not wish to be identifiable. This breed is highly sensitive, prone to reactivity, and is by no means a beginner dog. Perhaps this was not the best choice of breed as a first-time dog owner, but I was young and a bit arrogant/overconfident in my ability to handle a dog like this. I quickly realized that I would need to seek the help of a professional trainer, as he had begun to show some reactivity on leash towards other dogs and was generally fearful of people. My neighbors had a pack of 5 dogs, all of whom seemed very well-trained and responsive, so I asked where they had gotten them trained- they told me that K9 Instincts had changed everything for them, so I reached out.

I quickly had an evaluation scheduled, and I immediately was a little wary of their methods. One of their trainers, Brit, took the leash from me and demonstrated leash corrections. These corrections were unfairly harsh for the behavior my dog was displaying- obvious discomfort with a stranger holding his lead, and a desire to come back to my side where he would be more comfortable. Brit jerked the lead in a way that caused him to gag, but she told me not to worry and that this was normal/part of the learning curve. Okay. I’m 19, she’s the professional, I didn’t question it too much. During this evaluation, they told me that they had experience with my dog’s breed, something I now know has to have been a flat-out lie. Anyone who works with/breeds these dogs is firmly against aversive training methods due to their sensitivity and stubbornness, as well as the simple fact that e-collars are known to cause deeper reactivity and fearfulness in sensitive breeds.

Onto the subject of e-collars- they allowed me to test the feeling of the e-collar on my own arm to prove that it isn’t painful. However, they had the collar on a low setting that was never actually used during the training. Later, I tested the level that they told me was the lowest level my dog could be corrected at, and it was genuinely painful.

During the 3-week board period, which I had paid around $2000 for (if I recall correctly), they did not check in with me beyond one call to let me know that my dog was refusing the normal kibble they give to their clients. They had not asked me to pack his regular food, which I found odd. They ended up switching him to the kibble they feed their working dogs, and he started eating again.

My dog returned to me a complete mess. He had lost a lot of weight, and I could see his ribs. His skin was dry and flaky, and his neck was pink and irritated from the use of the e-collar. His ears were perpetually pinned back, and he was very fearful and shut-down. Our bond had been shaken and I felt like I was getting a shell of a dog back instead of my goofy, loving puppy.

There was no training for me beyond a 30 minute recap upon pickup. I was not involved in the training process at all, and it felt like they handed him back to me with a fake smile and a “congrats on your trained dog, have fun!” Matt also talked about blowing air in his face while he was kenneled, which he found hilarious because of the way my dog would bark and snap at him through the kennel. Keep in mind that my dog was at their facility to address dog reactivity and fearfulness around humans in the first place.

When we took him home and started implementing the protocol outlined by K9 Instincts, we very quickly found that the level of stimulation recommended to us by Matt was far too high- my dog would scream when we would use the e-collar. His behavior was not improved in any way, and he actually had severely regressed in his reactivity. For the recommended 6 months, we followed through with the training protocol despite his worsening behavior. I stopped using the e-collar after the 6 months were up (and we should have been able to remove the collar), but since I had a year of follow-up included in the training package I had purchased, I had Matt come out to address these issues. Matt showed up with a puppy he was training and stayed for less than 30 minutes, had me walk my dog down the street past the other dog (also reactive), and just said to keep zapping my dog and that he would eventually stop. This stimulus would make my dog fly into a rage, redirecting his aggression onto me or whoever was walking him. Matt witnessed this, but told me it was fine and that I just needed to keep at it. He then went on his way with no further advice or support. When interacting with Matt, my dog’s demeanor was excessively and fearfully submissive, which is not normal in the slightest for him.

We went a long time without any kind of training, and I felt completely lost. Eventually, I began doing more research and realized just how damaging e-collars can be, and how they often just mask these behaviors without addressing the root cause. With the e-collar on, I could somewhat control the reactions and keep my dog in heel. As soon as it came off, all of the training went out the window. This is a common complaint from clients of K9 Instincts. They are not training dogs, they are controlling unwanted behaviors through pain-avoidant fear. I spent $2000 as a 19-year-old with my first ever dog thinking I was doing right by him- Matt is an excellent salesman with a disarming personality. However, based on his antagonistic and flippant replies to any negative reviews of his business, it is clear that he thinks he is an indisputable expert on dog training. Anyone who says otherwise is just “humanizing their dogs.” No, Matt, I am not humanizing my dog. I simply refuse to use fear-based compliance to train an already fearful animal.

My neighbor’s dogs, mentioned before, also seem to have been failed by this program. As soon as they removed the e-collars, we stopped seeing them taking walks in the neighborhood. The dogs bark incessantly in their yard, and no amount of “no” or “enough” from the neighbors stops them. Other clients report similar regressions, even in positive reviews.

One reviewer writes, “They can call it "e-collar" all they want, but this is a shock collar training facility. I've never seen a dog come out of here that is able to obey commands without the collar. This is where lazy people go to stick their dog for a few weeks under the belief they don't have to do any of their own training. The reality of shock collar training is that it only suppresses behavior based on fear of pain WHEN WEARING A SHOCK COLLAR, it doesn't actually teach your dog anything. Indeed it's been proven time and time again that the fear of pain exacerbates behavioral issues in dogs. This guy is a great salesman and will tell you "it isn't that bad," having you test it on a low setting, never letting the customer experience the power they use on animals. This place, and all shock trainers, should be shut down. "Boarding" is a sad, scary set of runs and your dog will be lucky to see outside once, maybe twice a day. Obviously, this trainer isn't educated on the science of dog behavior and is satisfied enough with sad, scared dogs that are shells of their former selves. Do your own research. What kind of dog owner do you want to be? Is your dog family, or just an accessory?”

Another, positive review states “The dependence of the collar is the only issue I have with this form of training and why I thought about going with 4 stars rather than 5.” Many reviewers also state that they feared their dog would come back as a “soldier” or would lose their personality. Why is this a fear at all? Why send a dog to a place that you are concerned will strip them of their personality?

Further, they do not allow owners to have any control or part of the training process, choosing instead to keep dogs and owners totally separate during the training period rather than training the owners alongside the dogs. One reviewer writes, “I would like to have my 10 month old puppy trained by them but didn't want to leave her alone in a kennel overnight. She didn't like being crated. I was willing to drop her off early in the morning and pick her up in the evening for 2 weeks. I understand the reason. But wish they were more flexible.” This reviewer may understand the reason they choose to keep dog and owner separate during training, but I do not. How does it serve the dog to turn them over to an uneducated owner equipped with a tool that emits an electrical stimulus that can be painful when used excessively or at too high of a level?

This place is a cruel facility that seems to have staff that get off on being mean to anxious and reactive dogs- why jerk his lead to the point that he gags when he is (understandably) uncomfortable with a stranger handling him? Why blow air in his face? Why recommend a stimulus level that makes him shriek in pain, and leaves his neck pink and raw? What purpose does any of that serve?

The damage done to my dog during this board-to-train program has set us back so much, and his behavior is infinitely worse for having gone to their facility. I can not have guests over. Nobody can say hello to or try to pet my dog without being bitten. He can not meet other dogs, and if he sees them on walks he loses his mind. He is now on Trazodone, because without it, he would not be able to even go to the vet for his regular check-ups. I have had to muzzle train him, and he has bites on record. If e-collars were truly a miracle cure as K9 Instincts and other e-collar trainers would have you believe, why is my dog still reactive? I did everything they told me to do, I was consistent and firm and yet my dog did not succeed with their methods.

At the breeder’s recommendation, I really began digging deep into R+ training methods. Only after switching to these protocols did I start to see improvements. In a short amount of time, we have made leaps and bounds in addressing his reactivity. His threshold for reacting has decreased significantly, and he listens when I tell him to “leave it” when he barks in the house. I just have to wonder how I, as an inexperienced first-time dog owner with no professional training background, am doing a better job at fixing my dog’s reactivity than Matt, who loves to tout his credentials and experience working with police K9s and difficult/anxious dogs. E-collars are a cruel band-aid solution that do not hold up once removed. You are not training your dog, you are momentarily controlling their behavior through fear of pain.

I am not writing this out of a need to argue or change peoples minds. I am writing this as a warning to new and/or uneducated pet owners who do not fully understand what e-collar training entails. I will not be engaging in discussion on this post, but before you even comment- please read these linked studies in full and educate yourself on the scientific research done into e-collar training before blindly defending the use of these aversive tools and methods. Do not waste your money at K9 Instincts. Find another trainer who will be worth the price tag.

Read before defending the use of aversive training methods:

https://vet.osu.edu/vmc/sites/defau...mane-dog-training-position-statement-2021.pdf

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...jG-u-yfv7duxk_YGj_FBKMduy7G1Hb6rSUyHvAH197d8M

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/a...a1F47VPsAo3I1fFUjFx4I4dqugDzi3tjemmxpsLw9GJqA

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...yMSWe3dlsDfpNk0U1IDLe-GzBdNof1ajiuLKTNI1a7YrU

@jk100991 Thanks for the heads up on this place, I am local and was looking for a trainer for a while! Do you do all your training by yourself now?

@bay123 I have been doing home training while I save money for an R+ professional and have been taking everything very slow- I will be working with Melissa Kroll through Bad Dog Basics in May and I highly recommend her! I've met dogs she has trained who used to be nippy and she does an amazing job with her clients- she also is the type of trainer who can recognize when something is beyond her experience and will defer you to veterinary behaviorists if need be. Definitely check her out, her pricing is also more than fair!

@bay123 For a group class, we were very happy with Crossbones' reactivity training in Providence, but the waiting list can be long.

@jk100991 I unfortunately had a similar experience at a different board and train. They seemed great during the initial sessions but when we picked him up and did the first group training sessions we saw one dog that was terrified and reacting and they had a head halter and an e collar on and used both so severely it screamed in pain the entire class. Then at the end of class they have “social” and let this terrified dog loose in a room with 20 people and dogs. It obviously started snarling and reacting and they literally started beating it with a break stick to the point you could hear the sting and slap. My husband and I just stared at each other in disbelief and then immediately left and never spoke to them again. They also told us to keep a prong collar on him constantly and violently snap it if he barked or got triggered by anything. Needless to say we never took that advice. Thankfully no lasting damage was done to my dog and now with medication he has improved a ton. This is a very prominent board and train in my town and they also partner with a local rescue to train reactive dogs so they’re adoptable.

@henric72 Holy shit. If someone did that to any dog in my presence, I’d take it away and beat him with it. What I’m the actual fuck is wrong with people? I’ve owned several giant breeds in my life and have NEVER had to use anything remotely like that. English mastiffs, cane corso, pit mix, Rottweiler. And now two cattle dogs, who are the most ornery but loving dogs ever

@nelson123 It was awful. It was a pit bull that had just gotten rescued from the local shelter and you could tell was just terrified and didn’t like other dogs and they kept pushing it. It was obvious the owner was trying to do what she thought was benefitting her dog and trusted these people to show her the right things. I hope she stopped going there before it permanently damaged her dog. They always talk about partnering with rescues but won’t name the actual rescues. They have an overwhelming amount of positive reviews and the negative ones they just put the people on blast so when you do speak out you get bombarded.

@henric72 This is exactly how you get a dog either killed because it rested wrongly or killed in a shelter because the owners can’t handle it. These people absolutely disgust me

@jk100991 Oh god I haven’t heard his name in a looooong time. When I was training professionally in RI, I spent many hours of my professional life cleaning up messes that man and his employees made. I am so sorry you had to deal with him and his awful methods. I’m glad you and your dog have found some relief with a qualified trainer :)

@jk100991 Sorry to hear. My own experience as a naive pet parent who went to the wrong trainer still bothers me, and I also learned more about positive reinforcement and am for educating others against aversive training after that horrible experience ce. All we can do is learn from our mistakes, and hopefully more people will learn from those too without having to put their dogs through these so-called trainers who are doing more harm than good.

@jk100991 Thank you for posting. I wish these criminals can be put out of business. And board-to-train operations leave out the most important factor of all, which is training the owner to elicit the desired behavior from their own dog. This makes them a SCAM, people. There's no regulation. Uneducated owners and their dogs are the victims.

@jk100991 Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so sorry you went through all of that, but so glad to hear that you have moved to humane and effective training techniques.

I frequently comment on this sub about the problems associated with aversive training methods, particularly as they apply to reactive dogs, and the fallout associated with them. Sometimes I feel like those comments fall on deaf ears, that some readers think I am making up the problems and issues that surround the use of aversive methods. In fact, I just went through that earlier this morning, when another member of this sub who uses "balanced" training methods tried to defend and justify the use of aversive training techniques. So I am always so grateful for the folks in this sub who share their own personal experiences with the fallout, etc., so that there are "real life" stories backing up what I (and so many others on this sub, of course!) say about aversive methods. So truly, thank you for sharing.

@jk100991 Damm, that was a hard and long read. Thank you for sharing about this particular "trainer," as I would call him. Shocking a dog into submission seems like one of the worst attempts at "training" for any animal. Even on humans, it would be deemed cruel and unusual punishment.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Same😞 the one we sent our pup to used both prong and ecollars. These trainers are so manipulative and make it seem like they can “fix” any dog. And a lot of reactive dog owners are desperate so we fall for it. It’s just a recipe for disaster. I can’t even begin to tell you how guilty I feel for putting my poor pup through that

@jk100991 Thank you so much for sharing this and speaking out. These sorts of businesses thrive on marketing to vulnerable and overwhelmed dog parents, and the more folks speak out the better!

@jk100991 You are an excellent dog owner for realizing this “training” isn’t for you or your dog and for educating yourself how to give your dog a fulfilling life that you both can enjoy.
We also have a place like this near us. Lots of good reviews, very expensive. makes all kinds of promises, and a huge team. They use primarily choke collars.

Code:
My border collie mix was pulling our arm off constantly on walks and reactive towards humans and dogs. We did an evaluation with us and showed how there corrections work. They did a correction with her and we were impressed with how she would listen. The second they tried it with our other dog I knew they were bunk. Told me he was trying to be the leader because he was always walking in front. We watched our pitbull, who we had worked with for months not to be afraid of people, greet this person very happily at the beginning but after that correction curled into himself and wouldn’t even look at the trainer and strayed curled up in a corner the rest of day. Broke my heart how quickly he remembered that humans are scary and bring pain. POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT HAS OPENED UP COMMUNICATIONS WITH OUR DOGS. Chronic arm pulling has ceased, and my dogs love training.

@jk100991 So sorry you learned this hard lesson. Dogs are a family member with a relationship based on trust and respect with the owner. Not a car you can send off to the mechanic to be fixed . Group classes are sooo great for dogs and people AKC.org where you learn to train and communicate with your furry family member.

Back