Raising a puppy by myself

melouise

I’m a single male raising a new 9 week year old golden retriever. I love him and we have fun. I do work from home but I do have a few appointments once and while suck physical therapy, dentist, etc. I have left him alone twice. I made sure he had lost of exercise and went to the bathroom before I left. I kept in his crate with treats and toys. I came home he was scared and barking. I know he is a new pup and doesn’t understand and wants to be with me. How did I live my life without door dashing every meal and being at home for months? Also I need to work so I can’t spend every minute next time and need to be in my office working. I don’t regret getting him but this a lot more than expected and I did a lot of reading and watched videos before doing this. Little overwhelming!

@melouise The first weeks are the hardest, for both of you. And it might be that you went a little too fast for the little guy. So, make the steps a little bit smaller and leave him for a couple of minutes at a time or make sure he will sleep through the whole ordeal (if you need to go longer). At 9 weeks our pup could hardly be alone at all, but now at 9 months we can leave her for up to 4 hours (haven't tried longer, we will when she is old enough to roam free).

@futureman29 Yeah maybe I did but what do when I need groceries or have to go somewhere for an appointment. I feel so overwhelmed and bad. I don’t know what to do. 9 months is a long time just to be home all the time

@melouise You are not going to be stuck home for 9 months. Slow and steady. He will adjust to you going out and it is healthy for you to leave him so he learns that you come back. It’s a big job but a doable job and no one does it perfectly. Don’t beat yourself up. A schedule works great. Dogs love a schedule. If you set a routine and are gone at routine times that is great for your dog. For the first while make it predictable. Do your errands and appointments during a window for a bit. That will help him.

@svitlana78 Yeah I feel like I don’t have a good schedule down yet which is probably causing me a little stress too. I don’t want him to have anxiety from leaving this earlier on of his life

@melouise My golden is 6 months old and we’ve worked up to leaving him for 4 hours max! So don’t worry, as long as you do it gradually, it’ll be okay. It’s not easy but realistic if you don’t have a family/3-4 people helping out.

@melouise I left my puppy alone from 12 weeks and he's 5 1/2 months now and has no anxiety alone. My older dog is 10 years old and we didn't leave him alone at all in the first weeks we had him and he has severe anxiety issues and can't be left alone.

The sooner you let him adjust the better! Little and often is what I did from day 2 of my puppy being home. It was five minutes alone in a room and when he stopped crying I went back in. Increased to 10 then 15 and now he's alone most of the day whilst I work. I have puppy cameras and he plays with his snuffle mats and lick mats and naps most of the day. The sooner you start training the better! It's really hard to start with and he will cry howl and bark. But the second he's quiet you go back and reward!

@melouise You may have to get a little creative. While he’s still small, maybe you could get a carrier and bring him with you to certain places; if you live in a neighborhood where there are some eager and responsible teens, you could hire one to dog sit while you’re out; or see if a friend can help.

It won’t be this bad forever. They gradually get more and more comfortable with being alone for longer periods of time. Keeping to a strict schedule with enforced naps (in the crate if possible) will help A LOT.

If you haven’t yet, Zak George has a great series called New Puppy Survival Guide on YouTube. He walks you through how to set your puppy up for success in being alone.

@melouise Honestly those videos were the only lifeline I had for a while lol. It wasn’t even the training tips as much as the way he wouldn’t be discouraged by setbacks and would simply troubleshoot in a calm and curious way.

@melouise Puppies are adorable people magnets. When my daughter brought home her puppy she was fortunate to be able to take the first week off from work. Then I came to stay with her for a week when she went back to work. It was good practice for when I (hopefully) become a grandma. Ask around to your friends and family to see who gets the honour of being the recipient of puppy love. It’s also great to get them used to different people.

@melouise Mine could be alone for 4 hours at 4 months. It’s mostly just getting her used to the crate and realize that she doesn’t need to be barking. A trick that worked great for me was putting a blanket over the crate,but covering the front and leaving the back that’s facing the wall open for air, it makes her fall asleep super fast.

@melouise You don't have to be home for 9 months. He will be able to be home alone longer with every week that passes. During that first months I timed my activities very carefully. I tailored the daiy sleeping schedule to my activities, so that she was ready to go into the bench and sleep when I had to go to the gym or do groceries.

Sometimes is also helps to give your pup something (safe) to chew on or a lickymat as these activities have a calming effect on them. You can put some kibble in a kong and add peanut butter to the top, and that will keep him busy for a while. When he's older you can also freeze the kong, but for our pup that was too hard in the beginning. As long as he is creating happy memories in the bench.

I admit that it is harder when it is just you and him, and you will need to find a way that works for the both of you. But if you put in the effort now, you will have a great and very loyal friend in a couple of months.

@melouise As far as groceries go, my biggest suggestion would be to utilize your store's pickup dept, assuming they have one. Since covid hit, theyve become increasingly popular so at least one or two near you have one. That would cut down on a lot of time for that. Probably will make your life easier too since you can look at your list from your house and make sure you dont forget things, or buy as many things on a whim (assuming you're that kind of person like me lol)

That being said, he obv will need to learn to be alone at some point. You do need to go to your appointments and it's not like he can come all the time. I'd do some googling/youtubing on separation anxiety and teaching your dog to be alone.

What i did was start with shorter periods of being alone during the day, and just increase that as hes gotten older (my boy's about to have his 1st bday). Also with him, he was only allowed to be out and around the house alone at about 10mo. Before that, if we left the house, he went in his crate with his chew and kong and was absolutely fine.

It also has helped us to have a camera in the main room of our apt (where he usually hangs out) that we can talk to him through. It really helps through that initial 'where did moms go' freakout, and he pretty much calms down after that. We tend to get on that camera right after we get out of the building to talk him down.