Process of breeding my dog

hocdmonster

First of all thank you to those who given me advice in here before this post ! :)

For reference my dog is a Red cattle (Smithfield).
So the 13th & 15th of April my dog successfully mated & tied (sorry if that’s the wrong term). I rang my vet and they gave me the option of X-ray only or a consult to manually feel her stomach, someone on here mentioneda ultrasound, my vet more or less tried talking me out of it so I found a new vet who did a ultrasound today and booked her in for a X-ray later. She is pregnant, the vet showed me her ultrasound and said that she thinks she is around 3 weeks pregnant. (For reference of people wandering I’m in Qld Australia and the ultrasound cost me $129.). I’ve taken her off the cheap lucky dog brand as I heard it wasn’t the best for her, she’s now on Black Hawk Grain Free. She also get these “pet mince patties” which is a mixture of pet mince, veggies etc. She also gets the treats of chicken necks & kangaroo bones. Her weight today at the vet was 21KG.

If you have any advice or even questions feel free to comment! I’ll update as I go!

@hocdmonster Based on your past posts might I ask why you're breeding your dog? You don't seem to know much about breeding. That paired with your comments about not wanting to spend more, makes me wonder if your just doing it for profit like alot of people who come here.

I don't want to be accusatory but there's alot of people who come to this sub with byb intents. And with the market for mix breed mutts being the insane way it is in Australia right now I can't help but wonder about your intentions.

Plus the fact you're breeding a very volatile breed. Australian cattle dogs sit at number two for the most bites in Australia. So they're not for everyone pet wise.

Maybe I'm wrong and you're breeding working dogs or something, I hope I am.

@gideondavid40 I honestly have always loved dogs (all animals for that fact) & I wanted to try & get into breeding dogs as a honour to my pop who passed away who use to also breed dogs here and then rehome the pups into farms near by :).

I’ll admit when it’s my first time breeding a dog myself so I wasn’t 100% sure on everything & as I said just before my pop passed away and he honestly would’ve been the only good person in my family to ask things too. So I thought I’d try here for advice etc. it wasn’t necessarily that I didn’t want to spend more it was more that my vet at the time had only offered me two options to tell if she was pregnant. 1 was an X-ray which I booked her in for :). The other was a consultation which the vet told me would just be me bringing my girl in and having a vet feel her stomach with their hands and giving me their best bet wether she was or wasn’t pregnant. Which was going to cost me $100 (give or take) and I didn’t really find it necessary to spend that kind of money just to have someone feel her stomach and in the vets words “give me their best bet” if I was able to do the same thing at home without hurting her. I then found out that ultrasound should’ve / could’ve been an option and inquired about it they told me “you could have an ultrasound but an X-ray is the best thing to tell and we’re pretty booked at the moment for ultrasounds until closer to the date you have your X-ray booked. I mean we could book in you for a few days upto a week before that but we unfortunately can’t do before then”. Anyhow, I found a new vet who had open spots for them and we got one hence how I found out she’s pregnant :) so as you can see money spending wasn’t the issue, I just didn’t want to pay someone to more or less guess if she was or wasn’t pregnant if I could do the same thing. I’d hate to think of anyone using breeding to make profit, however I’ve seen it happen a fair bit in my town.

My intentions definitely aren’t back yard breeder intentions. I’m not too sure on the market for mixed breeds dogs however where I live and the little town surrounding us, there isn’t that a big of a market for mixed breeds. Most the dogs I see being advertised are pure breeds or a mix of two breeds and they seem to sell pretty fast. However mixed breed dogs / pups with 3 + breeds I see on Facebook and gumtree and etc for months, as well as the rescue sites.

These pups have already got homes and back up homes that are fairly close to me still and will all be going to working homes :)

Back