"4,000 beagles will be rescued from a Virginia breeding facility" / CNN / 12 Jul 22

@brassmonkeys Yup. In some places they transport dogs from other locations. In the Pacific NW there’s a shortage of dogs (specifically, non bully breed mix). I’ve had multiple friends adopt dogs from the south that were transported by bus up. Adopting a dog in the Seattle area can be hilariously difficult. I was almost rejected bc I didn’t have a fully fenced yard for a shepherd mix. They eventually gave her to me bc she was 4 years old, terrified of men, and had multiple behavior problems. I had to wait weeks, write essays pleading my case, and produce numerous references to support. Used to live In Massachusetts as well… similar situation, but a little less extreme.

@brassmonkeys Regional.

Responsible areas don't have dogs anymore that aren't pit mixes. Because all the responsible people fixed their dogs and don't breed them.

But now there's noting but abused pit mixes in the shelters. Wait list for my aunt to get ANY dog that wasn't a pit was months long at her local shelter. They drive them up from the south to meet demand.

@jommick I'd say there's a shortage of dogs landlords will allow renters to adopt.

I feel like the fact that so many people no longer own their own homes and are therefore pretty limited in what kind of dogs they can get is an important part of the conversation. I had to get on a a shelter waiting list because my landlord at the time required dogs to be under 20 pounds (I got "lucky" and got a Havanese due to a hoarder/breeder getting caught and surrendering their dogs.). Most landlords don't allow bully breeds.

A lot of renters avoid getting dogs at all that are likely to fall under common restrictions. And I've heard there's a depressing number of dogs in shelters because landlords wouldn't let people keep their large or bully breed dogs and their housing.

@abenign1 It's not just landlords. Homeowner's insurance companies too. I really wanted to rescue a GSD from a local GSD rescue in Florida. Guess what breed is not allowed by my homeowners. Also include Pits/mixes of pits, Boxers, Doberman, Rottweilers, and Chows from what I remember off the top of my head

@untamedmind When I bought my first home, I had exactly one insurance company willing to write a policy on my house knowing that I have a doberman. Her farts are the most dangerous part of her. Well, her elbows hurt a bit when she's too cuddly sometimes. But yeah, one single insurance company was willing to write a policy on a home with a Dobe.

@brassmonkeys Certain breeds have bad reputations and represent a disproportionate amount of shelter dogs, partly due to their popularity with absolute garbage humans who often breed them specifically for their reputation for violence.

But it's important to still adopt Chihuahuas despite this, they can be very sweet and each dog deserves a chance.

@dmconoyer There is a huge shortage of adoptable dogs. There's a reason sketchy rescues are importing "meat dogs" from Asia. There's a reason the sketchy doodle breeders in your town can sell irresponsibly bred puppies for $4k a piece.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Covid shutdown proved that pretty much the only area that has shitty communities that don't care about their dogs is The South. I feel so, so sorry for the shelters and rescues there who care and are trying their best and are in areas where people just don't care about their animals. Everywhere across the country, shelters were empty. But nobody could pull from Texas or the SE states so those states were slammed with far too many dogs.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Stable, safe, not a big "project". Most people want, and deserve, a nice family pet. They don't want to spend the next 2-3 years of their life dedicated to intensive training protocols. Yes all dogs need training and to learn impulse control and people expect that. What they don't expect is separation anxiety, reactivity, interhousehold aggression, and bigger issues.

@imagebeastmarkbeast It depends on the specific region (their specific answer might be different, but I'd guess it's the same theme), but in my city most of the dogs available in shelters are undersocialized Mastiff or Husky type dogs.

Because it's a city, many people live in condos or apartments with weight limits on pets (which makes the Mastiffs less adoptable), and have to consider noise more closely (which makes the Husky-types less adoptable). When you add in the socialization issue, that means that people with children, cats, small dogs (or other dogs of any size) will be less able to adopt them even if they're in a house.

A smaller dog, or less vocal breed, or more socialized dog is more "adoptable" because there's a bigger pool of potential adopters to pull from.

Back