Advice on Newfoundland breeding, and general ethics

@jessicacharlie First of all, I am not hostile. I am passionate about the dog world and all it entails. What DOES grind my gears is people who are going to breed their pet-quality dog and bring more mediocre dogs into a world that doesn't need any more mediocre dogs and are all damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead no matter what people [whose opinion they have ASKED for, by the way] have suggested. That you are beginning to see the light and move forward differently, is to your credit. The education is long, never-ending actually, and very worthwhile if you are serious about doing it right. Best of luck. :)

@jessicacharlie Best advice I could give to start is to find a breeder (of any breed) that would mentor you and also to find someone showing dogs (again any breed, but large fluffy haired breed best) in conformation that would show what is involved. Join local dog clubs, breed specific and/or all breed. Go to every dog event within 100 miles of your home for the next year.

Decide whose ethics you are going to follow. Different groups allow different things, different people allow different things, even religions allow different things. If you are Amish it would be easier, if you follow Reddit 'I am not a breeder but ...' it is almost impossible.

@home4good I think this is great advice, and I'll be reaching out as much as I can.

Also... I'm Catholic (save your booing reddit. I've seen what makes you cheer 🤪) the code of ethics there would be to do the best job possable, without ripping people off, or doing anything "shady". Being fully transparent, ect. yes I know even my own members of the faith don't always do that, not here to debate God(s) or ways to worship them in a dog breeding reddit

@jessicacharlie One thing as a Canadian breeder for you to know - The sale of animals as PUREBRED is only legal if they are registered with the CKC (or foreign reputable registry) and have registration papers provided according to the Animal Pedigree Act. Even if you think your dogs is purebred, without papers, you cannot legally sell them as such - they would be required to be marketed as a X breed mix. This doesn't stop the more unscrupulous breeders from doing it, but if you are interested in the proper way, be sure to look up the APA and CKC guidelines.

@jessicacharlie The truth is if you want to become a real breeder, you MUST get involved in the show dog world. You will not successfully bring this dog back to your area in the right way if you are not using dogs that are from champion lines. Yes, you will have to travel to get dogs, and yes, it will be expensive. But there’s literally no point in just buying whatever random non-papered dogs you can find and just breeding them with no real proof that those dogs are any good. That’s what backyard irresponsible breeders do. If you want to make a name for yourself in the breed, do it the right way and work with show dogs. Go to a dog show, talk to people in the breed and build some relationships. This is what will allow you to have access to the dogs worth breeding.

@jessicacharlie Go on the OFA website and search by breed. A list of the necessary tests will come up. Specialty hip/elbow X-rays, etc. These are the specific health tests to do for any dog before breeding.

@jessicacharlie There is a ton of great info that you have already been given. I will add as a way to get your toes wet into dog showing you could register your current dog UKC performance or AKC PAL(after neutering). It wouldn't be conformation shows but you could do rally or obedience or another sport you may be interested in. It wouldn't be conformation but it would likely allow you to meet breeders and get a better idea if showing and breeding would really be right for you.

@jessicacharlie Research! Read everything you can. There are great books out there on the Newf. Spend time on the Newfoundland Dog Club website. Do not breed a dog with no papers. Breeding is very expensive. Are you prepared for that? Natural breedings have not had the best results in Newfoundlands. More Preservation breeders are using AI. Have you thought about pricing? Newfoundlands are an expensive breed to own let alone breed. Find a mentor!!

@jessicacharlie Unfortunately, lots of breeders gate, keep and can be very standoffish for obvious reasons, because a lot of people do breed dogs for a terrible reasons.

I will say your reason for breeding the dog breed to keep it. Alive is respectable I would still check to make sure medical wise. They are good dogs to breed so no major health issues that can come with the breed. The OFA website should have all of that stuff for you and can really be a life saver. I would even argue if these dogs are good enough because you’re trying to get the population up open selective breeding rights to the right people and puppies.

You, as the breeder should be responsible enough to distinguish, which puppies are good enough for breeding and which ones aren’t because not all puppies from a litter will be. Then you can either keep one of those dogs for your program or sell those dogs to people who are breeding for the right reasons.

What I will say in regards to breed them to just be pets I don’t think that’s a good enough reason. If they have some sort of working purpose, absolutely but just breeding them to be designer. Dogs is not the best course of action. Even if it’s niche, I think there needs to be a reason. Even if it’s a nesh reason like some doodles can be used to be service animals there should be something. What I will say is, in terms of stock if you don’t feel like the female is up to snuff. It’s absolutely worth it to spend more money to get a dog from a neighboring area that meet your requirements for you’re damn.

I’m looking for black German Shepherd right now. My favorite Breeder so far in this hunt for a sire actually lives in Florida. That’s many states away from where I live in the US. So this person does a puppy chauffeur service. Which is a little extra, but if we do decide to go with his puppies would be worth it. Even if we don’t get from him, we are looking in our neighboring states as well because sometimes you just have to make it a road trip or pay a little extra for the perfect stock. If your male is currently healthy as can be, and you don’t have CKC paperwork. Get a embark test this will really help you out to prove your dog is pure bread, which is 80% or more of a certain dog breeds DNA. I would also check if you know a close relative of your dogs like grandma grandpa mother, father that do have CKC. So you can also check their OVA history hopefully while also being able to tell potential buyers hey although I don’t have the CKC paperwork, their grandparents and parents do and they were really healthy. This along with showing that your dogs have a clean bill of health would be perfect.

Regardless, I think you’re doing a terrific job, and I respect you actually taking the time to research what it takes. Keep up the good work. I hope everything turns out well for you.

Back