People have zero survival instinct and it’s hurting my dog

@samsunguser A neighbor in my building got nipped by my Schnauzer mix because he was stupid enough to reach down and try to pet my clearly lunging, barking, agitated boy in a narrow space. I kept saying “If we get inside, I can calm him down and you can say hello then.” Nope. Tiny Brain thought that because my dog had allowed a pet ONCE, that he could do it whenever. I still haven’t heard anything about a report, and it’s been a month. I would’ve had the security cameras on my side, anyways. It’s not like I let my dog go after him.

@knittedspoons Most people are basing this on thier experiences. Unless they've been biten themselves a barking dog is just "more bark then bite."

A barking dog is "just nervous". Once they smell you it will be "fine." Or once they know your "okay" its fine. This is how we've been brought up when it comes to dogs.

My neighbors dog barks, he runs around agitated. He never does much else. Stays on his own property, even with no fence in the front yard.

I've visited people with barking nervous dogs. Its always "just let them sniff you" etc. I never had issues. I've literally had my face right in front of a dog that growled at me while I was right near its stash of toys. Yes I was THAT stupid. But it never bit me. I just took a toy and gave it to him.

Looking back it was an idiotic thing to do. But 99% of the time nothing happens. The one time I actually got bite it was just a nip. So even bites don't necessarily scare people. They just blame thier own stupidity and move on.

And people assume a dog out and about is "fine."

Yes people are very very unaware of dangers of very reactive dogs. Its not a issue for them, until its an ISSUE for them.

@mama357 A lot also, I think, do it because they don’t want to make the dog owner feel bad by giving them a huge berth like there’s something wrong with them.

A lot of social niceties involve downplaying potential threats lol

@knittedspoons I would suggest that if you feel like your dog is dangerous due to reactivity, you need to muzzle train. Muzzle training is common in other countries, but in the US, it's a clear sign that you should back off.

I would also get a "Do Not Pet" or similar vest. Sometimes you need to act in the best interest of your dog, which isn't always fair. People can be incredibly entitled and stupid. I told a mother that her kids couldn't pet my unpredictable dog, and she had a fit and told me that if I didn't want my dog to be petted, I shouldn't walk him in public. Talk about insane.

@imagebeastmarkbeast
I told a mother that her kids couldn't pet my unpredictable dog, and she had a fit and told me that if I didn't want my dog to be petted, I shouldn't walk him in public.

... Every time I think I've seen the depths of human stupidity re: reactive dogs...

@imsome Oh yeah, it definitely wasn't my finest day, but I let her have an earful after that. Sure, your kids pet my dog, maybe he bites one of them, you sue me, my dog gets euthed. How fun! But your kids didn't get hurt feelings, so that's good!!!

@knittedspoons I completely understand where you're coming from. What's even more frustrating are the people who walk closer because they are being intentionally antagonistic. When I used to work at a pet store we had to ask the occasional person yo leave because they were just there trying to antagonize other people's dogs to get a reaction.

@knittedspoons It doesn’t matter how you feel about it. It’s your job to control your dog and make sure it doesn’t cause harm. Tell people firmly to stay away. Muzzle your dog if there is a chance of it hurting others.

@knittedspoons OP, I'm so sorry you go through this! I know this all too well, happens too much. For safety reasons, my dog is muzzled (make sure your dog can fully pant and yawn and that the length is good, this website here has a lot of amazing information and this is a great resource on how to muzzle train), which I do recommend. Just so peoples stupidity doesn't get your dog in trouble.

I know people are the ones approaching you, but it may just help to make you feel more safe in those situation if they refuse to listen to you when you clearly tell them no. I've had too many experiences with people not taking their dogs away when I tell them off and am already bodyblocking to avoid dog contact. My dog is clearly screaming and flipping out and yet, they still try to force dog contact. Now my pooch wears a muzzle to ensure safety in case he bites out of anxiety and fear. Never done so far yet, luckily.

@knittedspoons I remember an icy morning when my dog was about 6 months old. If somebody passed too close, she would get curious and jump. I usually was able to direct her attention away from anyone passing by.

But on that particular morning the ground was frozen, I was tired and my pup was hyped to go outside. I took a route that should be rather calm. Turns out it wasnt, because many people were heading to work. And I was nearly tripping because the ice was slippery.

To make matters worse, my dog decided to take a shit in the middle of the sidewalk. I saw a huge group of people coming towards me, while I was hunched over to pick that little piece of shit up. My dog of course got hyped and barked at the people.

So I, shit in hand and nearly falling, had to drag her back while keeping her down. I was obviously struggling. But all the people just kept walking by us, even a mom with her little kids who "barked" at my dog. My brother in christ

My dog is a good girl now. So at least I didnt completely fail

I am aware that its my issue, but I would still expect people to have some sense of self preservation

@knittedspoons I feel you. I subscribe to the "set your dog up for success" ideology and walk out of my way if need be to avoid the fools out in the wild. It's frustrating at times, but the alternative is worse in my experience.

Bring treats for when you absolutely, positively cannot avoid these dumb muthafkers.

@knittedspoons I can relate to this. My dog has pretty bad leash reactivity, especially in close proximity with other dogs. One time when I was at the vet, a lady had a small dog that my dog saw and started doing the whole barking thing. And she picked up her small dog as I'm trying to calm him, and she says, it's ok I have a shepherd at home, my dog is used to them. And I'm just like, it's not ok, I need to get him to calm down. And she is just like no it's fine, and starts walking towards him with her clearly scared dog. I moved him back into the exam room to avoid the situation because he was definitely not ok. It was incredibly frustrating.

@knittedspoons I think the problem is people are not aware of dog reactivity. To many, it does not exist. It did not exist to me either, before I got my dog. Dogs like that are euthanized in silence or kept in chains. Many people do not think much about that if they see a dog on a leash in public environment. Since I have my dog, I give space to any dog I see, though I know that owners of reactive dogs won't allow me to be near the dog any way. Interesting enough, I see these owners late in the night. Walking their dogs that I never see in the neighbourhood at any other hour.

Back