People have zero survival instinct and it’s hurting my dog

knittedspoons

(I’m aware my dog is my responsibility and no one else’s. I’m talking about open and wide spaces where there is an option to get away. When it’s the only option it is 100% my responsibility to avoid them, and control my dog. I just wish people had more empathy and common sense, and I hope this isn’t taken the wrong way.)

Natural selection is real. It’s crazy how many f*cking people see a dog going completely nuts and still walk towards it. I cannot wrap my head around it. You either know something about dogs and know that dog is suffering, or you know nothing about dogs and think that dog is trying to attack you. And in neither of those scenarios getting closer when you could easily avoid the dog is the wiser option.

I’m so tired of trying my best to avoid putting people in scary situations, when most people couldn’t care less about my dog or even their own safety. I feel like I’m visibly doing all I can to get my dog out of there, and it’s so frustrating when I can’t and people still get scaringly close, when there are other routes or there is a wide space. If he reacts, it’s because he’s terrified, and it must be even scarier having someone come towards you when you’re clearly showing signs of fear.

I truly try so hard to avoid these situations, but some people make it impossible. And I’m exhausted of seeing my dog suffering.

@knittedspoons If people are going up to a strange dog they're clearly really dumb tbh. But in the same time if they're just passing you by they probably assume you have control over your dog. It sounds like you should try muzzle training them.

@zoukirovic IDK where you live but I have a really hard time believing a person will literally walk up to you and pull a muzzle off your dog... I used to have a very small cute and reactive dog, and when I would yell at people to back off because he is a biter and to not try and pet him it worked 99% of the time.

But if your dog is so reactive that they lose their mind over someone walking past you on the sidewalk you should be the one muzzling your dog or crossing the street.

@carltonh Not my comment, but it appears to be a joke referencing the fact that your comment was worded so that one could interpret it as "muzzle train the people passing by."

On topic, I agree that muzzle training is a good idea. If nothing else, it's a visual deterrent to idiots.

@carltonh People here would absolutely take the muzzle off of a dog with a muzzle. Or they yell at me for having my dog muzzled. Asking people to not come close because they want to pet my dog, even yelling at people to not come close my dog, was absolutely ineffective.

My dog was a rescue dog who'd been severely abused. After about a year of desensitization, lots of training, medical care to relieve severe skin issues, losing half her body weight, and lots of love, my 18 lb fluffy little white dog loved meeting people.

@carltonh I live in an area with very high income disparity. Look up 'The Spirit Level' by professors Wilkinson and Pickett to see the reseach showing that income inequality in a society results in an increase in every social problem. Bullying is one of the problems increased and this behavior is a form of bullyingl

Also, infectious diseases are more likely to be fatal for everyone in a society with high income inequality--even the rich.

I am also visibly disabled. When you have a physical disability, the bullies come out of the woodwork.

Everyone know who has a disability has been harassed in this community.

@knittedspoons Just know you're not alone. I have been there and you're right, people just can be really dumb.

I was once staying at a hotel with my (since passed) dog aggressive pit mix. (We were forced to stay at a hotel, it wasn't a vacation) We were in the laundry room, he was muzzled, and a woman walks by with her maybe 6m pit. He gets overly excited, my dog starts losing his cool. I ask her to please walk down the hallway so I can get my guy out of there without and craziness. She had the audacity to try and have a whole conversation as my guy is barking and howling and just going nuts. I'm holding him back and losing my patience when I stop her in the middle of a sentence and say "listen I want to get him out of here, can you move 10 fucking feet down the hallway for your own safety", "well he's muzzled what could he really do?" As she walks away. Like lady. Just go away. What else can I say to you???

@samsunguser She has never been muzzle punched I guess. I don't have a lot of fun with my blue legs sometimes, because my dog accidentally hits me in the legs when flailing like a fish out of water upon seeing a dog.

@passat61 Literally this lol that muzzle is hardened plastic, shits gonna hurt if he hits you with the full weight of his big ass head.

Plus he had broken a couple muzzles in his day due to over excitement so I was overly cautious.

@samsunguser Hard plastic sure hurts! My pooch had one before I switched over to wire - which is much more ouchies! Luckily it hasn't broken down as of now, which I'm happy about, as it was hard to find one that fits him well enough, but dang, wire hurts. But that way, I can ensure he can't get into any trouble, because I have neighbours who hate us and have spread lies about him biting other dogs before. Which never happened.

Back