Owning a dog and working 8 hours a day

hanss1

Hello friends!

I have done some internet research on this topic, but I would like to have a discussion with people who are invested in dog care.

Im single, and work 8 hrs a day (standard working adult I suppose). There's a chance in the future I can get a remote job (I'm a programmer), but currently I'm in office.

My internet research has told me that it's theoretically possible to have a pup and still work 8 hours a day, and ive known people who have done it... BUT that does not mean it would be a good situation for a dog.

So, my question, is it possible to take good care of and give enough love to a dog while single and working full time? Does anyone do that? What breeds lend themselves to that? Or would it be better to adopt an adult dog?

Let me know what you think. I appreciate any input.

@hanss1 I was in a similar situation, single/working 7-3:30 in an office. It's really, really exhausting caring for a puppy alone. It can definitely be done if you have a support system in place (family, friends, neighbor, dog walker) or you thrive on little sleep. I'm fortunate to have some flexibility at work where I was able to run home to let him out at 10:30/11, and if I couldn't a friend who worked near my house was able to.

Yes it is possible to take good care of and give enough love to a dog while single and working. But make sure to do the same for yourself, which was WAY more challenging for me. I've found that I prefer the slower pace of senior dogs because it lets me breathe. Mine sleep all day, can be trusted not to chew on things, need minimal exercise and don't need to go out 3 times a night haha

@praiseyehoshua This is a very good answer - I do have family i think would be very supportive

I was definitely considering an older dog... Especially since it's my first one

@hanss1 I'm single, live in an apartment, work 9-6, and have 2 dogs (a coonhound and a border collie mix). During the week, most of my down time is consumed with my dogs. A walk and some training before work, they get kongs when I leave, and most days I come home for lunch to take them out. After work we're out for 1.5-2 hours (less in the winter). Tons of toys and activities to keep the collie entertained (the hound sleeps all day). Weekends we spend about 4-5 hours outside. It can be draining but I remind myself that they didn't choose me or this life, so I need to do all I can to make their life fulfilling.

@hanss1 A lot of people do it, it’s not that big of a deal if your dog can hold its bladder. The main thing is to ensure that you are seriously giving it enough exercise. Some dogs really need on average 1-2 hours of hard exercise a day, so if you have a dog like that then it’s only cruel if you’re not willing to put the time in to give it that exercise. One thing worth considering is to find a dog daycare and drop it off 2-3 days a week if you can afford it. Some dogs get really exhausted from a day at dog day care and don’t mind to sleep all day the day after. I’d also just be weary of getting a dog with really high social needs, some breeds just do better on their own than others.

@imagebeastmarkbeast That's something I've been researching

I think ideally I'd like a dog that is low-ish energy and is happy with walks. I've been known to be a runner but I don't want to get a dog who can jog with me then I decide to take a break from running, you know?

Right now I'm reading up on westies, they seem somewhat low energy without being totally lazy haha

@hanss1 Id suggest at least gettin a 2yo dog or older. I also find American Staffy mix can be good medium energy dogs. It depends on the dog but ive found many to be good at chilling on the couch at home and also enjoy hikes. But like I said it depends on the dog and the training you put into it.

@hanss1 Well there are multiple ways to get a dog to run without you actually running, really just depends where you live, can play fetch, let the dog swim around during the summer, dog park, etc

@hanss1 I’ve heard that greyhounds are excellent couch potatoes, and there are a lot that need homes now that racing is being shut down. I’ve always had a better experience having two dogs because they keep each other company and generally entertained while I’m away.

@hanss1 I'm single and work full-time. When I picked a dog I found a rescue, when I went to pick from the two puppies they had I picked the calmer one. Not the one more excited to see me. The calm puppy is now a very chill and relaxed dog and always has been. I think that was the most important factor in my success as a single working dog-mom.

@hanss1 Sure, it's possible. I think there are two key things to consider:
  1. You'll need help. Puppies need to go out frequently. Find out if friends or family would be able to stop in during the day or puppysit the whole day for the first couple of months. If not, price out some professional pet sitters. Some of them have puppy packages with multiple short visits during the day. Plan on getting a baby puppy outside every couple of hours. Daycare is an option but only if they are extremely careful with puppy socialization, which isn't common (daycares run by private dog trainers do tend to be better than big chains in that regard though).
  2. Pup would be your life outside of work for a while. Really think it through--you can't go out for drinks after work or run errands too long or anything. Home on time for puppy. Socialization is everything. Every day after work, after feeding and potting and playing and napping (and feeding yourself) have a plan for systematically introducing your puppy to something totally new, in a positive controlled way, so he feels good about it and grows in confidence. You can find socialization checklists online to give you a general idea. Note that socialization is really really important and it's not just playing with other puppies and getting treats from strangers (those can happen but they're a small fraction of the work).
It's doable, it's just a level of work that older dogs don't require.

@kawaiichristi Im definitely being very cautious in considering it. If a dog doesn't work for me I'm not going to push it.

It would be a first dog as well... Maybe an older dog would be better for that?

@hanss1 Older dogs are a lot easier. You still have a lot to plan for, they're just not so fragile.

For a first dog, I'd start subscribing to social media pages of local rescues and keep an eye out for a good fit. Don't rush. My goal would be medium energy (can easily keep up with exercise and outpace you, but not crazy high energy) and extraordinarily friendly. Don't go for the shy/scared one or the heartthrob rescue case or the intense wild one. Think like the happy five year old medium size mutt who approaches everyone and every dog with a casual wag and relaxed sniff and loves to cuddle on the couch. Maybe they were given up because the kids developed allergies or something. That to me is an ideal first dog.

I work full time and have had dogs for the past...12 years. Get a mid-day walker, leave your dog a kong toy stuffed with frozen food while you're gone, limit how much roaming space he has while you're gone (use a pen or dog-proof a room), don't overwhelm him with too many experiences all at once in the beginning, and you'll be golden.

@hanss1 i think it will be helpful to you to do some breed research - some dogs do fine with this, others don't. my dog is a pitt-pharoah hound mix, and a few days a week she's alone more than i'd like. but we do a super long walk in the morning and evening on those days, plus she gets a kong and some puzzle toys in her crate to help with boredom.

ETA: she's not a puppy (4yrs) and was housetrained when i got her - also very familiar with crating

@loraccw That's the first thing in focusing on, breed compatibility.

Ideally id love to rescue a dog, but I'm not sure I have the time or means to gamble on their behavior that much

@hanss1 You can also look into a day training or day camp facility. Drop your dog off there once or twice a week on your way to work, and then pick up on your way home. Then they get socialized, playtime, a lot of exercise etc. I work from home 4 of 5 days, send my golden there on the day I’m in the office and one other day when I know I don’t have as much time to exercise her. I run her 3 to 5 miles 2 of the other 4 and by Friday, she’s pooped