New ACD owner and would love some advice!

jakeinatx

Hey y’all! Meet Rocky! I started fostering this good boy two months ago while back with my family for quarantine. Just as planned, they fell in love with him and signed the adoption papers shortly after. I grew up with very “prissy” dogs and would love some advice on how to give this good boy the best life.

1- Rocky is extremely attached to me, which I love, but I will be leaving soon and want to make sure he can handle the transition. I’m fostering Rocky while home in Tennessee for quarantine, but when the world is actually up and running I live in Washington, DC in an apartment that doesn’t allow dogs. Rocky loves everyone in my family, but is very attached to me. Even if he is getting pets or treats from someone else, if I leave the room he has to get up and join. He cannot fully relax until he knows where I am at all times. Do y’all have any advice on ways to ease the transition for when I have to go back to “real life”?

2- He is heart-worm positive and will finally be receiving his treatment this week. I know that it is is very important for them to remain calm during this time. Does anyone have experience or advice on keeping an ACD calm for two whole months after this procedure?!

3- Does anyone have any advice on “jobs” they can do to stay stimulated that don’t involve owning cattle?

4- What food does your ACD eat? We have tried a few brands, including specialty diets, but he still has very loose stool and remains gassy. Would love to figure out the perfect combination to settle his stomach.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! And I really appreciate the help!

Here are some pics of the good boy!

@jakeinatx
  1. I went on a long vacation in the middle easy with my Velcro dog at my parents house. It took her a few days but sure enough she wouldn't leave my dad alone and settled in m.
  2. While he takes it easy you can use this opportunity to teach him some tricks and do lots of puzzles with him. Try to find treat dispensing toys that'll make him think.
  3. If there's no cattle to herd you can use a herding ball. Just dump it in the ground and they go absolutely nuts over it.(mine is called a boomer ball and bought it on Amazon) or just fetch with a tennis ball OR if you can throw a frisbee those are great too.
  4. My ACD didn't do well on most popular high quality brands but she has done well on Health Extensions. It's pricey but her poop is normal on it. It has lots of good quality stuff in it. Plus it's a small company based out of Upstate NY so you're also helping a small business. You can find this on chewy.com
Hope all this helps!

@jakeinatx They are so smart!!! Ours figured out that we wake around the same time everyday, now he sits at the back door and knocks on the glass, and barks once every minute or so.

@jakeinatx We feed ours a brand called canidae pure. The have a wild boar one our dog loves and her poop had been very healthy... precious food gave her loose stool and constant farts.

When we are not able to exercise her as much we play nose games- hide little plush squirrels around the house that she hunts for and is rewarded with a treat for finding. It’s unreal how quick she picked up on the game and she is able to find well hidden ones now.

@mathetes66 Started by setting these specific toys on the ground and giving her a treat when she picked them up while repeating “find the squirrel”.

These dogs are smart and pick up on games like these very quickly. Just start with the toy right in front of your dog and gradually move it/hide it further away while saying what ever phrase you pick to let the dog know you are playing the game.

Back