Help a new acd owner

Oh, and one thing you can start now is “capturing” good behavior. I love this trick. On the (rare) occasion that your puppy is being good - maybe laying by herself, being quiet in her crate, or self-entertaining, just silently go over and drop her a treat without engaging with her more. Anytime she’s being good, “capture” that activity. It will be few and far between in these early days, but I feel like it can help to feel like you’re at least trying something!

And ugh, the feet biting when you tried to walk away - so many of my ragey tears were the result of that very thing. Hang in there!!!

@oblivionxx Thank you! Yeah we started crate training and using it for her to come down and sleep.

Also we started going to puppy meeting so she can learn some consequences from other puppies when she gets to rough :). Many say this should also help.

@iampassionate I did that with my pup and it TOTALLY helps! Plus, it sets them up for a lifetime of good relationships with other dogs - they learn early on how to be polite, respect other dogs, listen to their body language, etc. also it’s adorable to see them play! My pup was a very…enthusiastic… playmate right from the start. The trainer had me do a lot of restraining and calming her so she didn’t go too hard and heavy for the other puppies.

@iampassionate All the comments to your post here have the right idea. Puppies grow up and out of their objectionable behavior, with your use of calm & assertive training. Remember who is training who. Crate training is only painful to you. Your puppy will learn to appreciate the sanctuary of the crate. ACDs are nicknamed Velociraptor for a reason. The 1st few months require cases of bandages, JK. The loud YELP followed by a loud firm key word (NO, Leave It, Drop, sit). Puppy will learn biting will not be tolerated. BTW, use the same calm assertive voice for house breaking (use a different key word). ACD’s are true companions and they quickly learn how to make you happy. IMHO, you can’t exercise or train too much. Pay attention and they will give you a clue as to enough for now. Be prepared 20 - 30 minutes they are ready to go again.

We have 2 rescued brothers now and have fostered many ACDs over the years. They are a LOT of work for the 12-18 months, but the love they return is without question the greatest joy and reward you will receive from a K9.

@charlesagrit Thank you! The yelp seems to fire her up more. It seems like this works for some but not all. At least judging by the comments here and in other posts. We try to turn away and also a NO. Hope it gets better.

Oh and we started to go to a puppy meeting were she hopefully will learn the consequences of rough play from the other puppies.

@iampassionate My arms were in shreds from playing with my ACD pup. Friends actually asked if my husband at the time was abusing me or if I was self-harming. We had gotten our pup at 6 weeks, and found out when he was about 10 weeks that puppies learn not to bite from playing with other puppies at around 8-9 weeks. If they're separated from their siblings too quickly like mine, they don't learn not to bite. I quickly arranged a few playdates with a friend who had also recently gotten a puppy, and after those playdates, the whole issue was resolved. We still had to work on not herding/heeling people (even at 12 years old he still herds some people with long pants for some reason), but my arms finally healed from all the puppy bites. Those teeth are like little razor blades; find another pup or a few pups to socialize with!

@iampassionate
I also think that she doesn’t really care about beeing pet. So petting here is not really a reward.

My ACD doesnt like a ton of physical affection, and from what ive heard thats the norm for the breed.

What she does love is praise though, and that praise can be reinforced with some head rubs that arent too long or heavy handed. Preferably praise them in a high pitch voice so they dont get confused and think you're yelling at them, but get the volume up, getting praise is a time to get excited.

@iampassionate Having a puppy is really difficult. I struggled with mine until the 7th or 8th month and then something clicked and I realized most of the bad behaviors I managed to correct (most, not all).

If she bites you too hard during playtime make an overly loud yelp and stop playing for 5 minutes. If she tries to bite you randomly try to stop her before it happens, ask her something else and give a reward if she does what you ask.

When you lock her away wait until she stops crying and then open and reward her. Try to increase the time she stay locked gradually, beginning with 5 minutes you should be able to reach 4 or 5 hours at 8 months.

Every dog responds well to treats when they're hungry. If you feed her 200/300g in the evening and divide the remaining 160/60g in tiny bits you can use these bits as treats during the day.

@elinternational Thanks! The yelping is quite difficult as she seems to get fired up more. We will try to find the right sound [sup]^[/sup]

Yeah we are working on create training.

Dividing the meals like that is a good point. Maybe we try that. In the evening she is always much hungrier so maybe this will fix that too.

@iampassionate Read the perfect puppy in 7 days by Sophia Yin, that helped answer how to educate my dog, and as a pup, he was an angel because of this! He still is but he's reactive to other dogs, but he behaves perfect with us

@iampassionate These puppies nip. It's literally what they were bred to do. It *will* get better, eventually! We have a 13 week old blue heeler puppy right now, our last dog was a red heeler. She bit like crazy, all the time, we thought it would never end, but it did, eventually.

I don't think you need to worry about giving her a bad home or traumatizing her, just the fact that you're concerned and posting here for advice shows you care about doing the right thing more than many dog owners.

My advice - make sure she is getting lots of play and mental stimulation. *Also* lots of sleep. When our current puppy starts to bite too much and go full on demon mode, that's when we know it's time for a nap.

You need to work with her on making sure she loves her crate. The crate needs to be her safe place, her house, so that she feels safe in there for the rest of her life. So, we give her some treats every time she goes in there. Her crate is in the bedroom, so she can't see us, and we put on a white noise machine so she can't hear us either, and then she will nap very well.

When she bites, try to get her to bite onto a toy instead. When it gets really bad, if she really hurts you or rips your clothes, then you can push her away, and ignore her. She's so young that it will take some time for this to work! I'd be lying if I said our last puppy didn't get the occasional smack on the head when she really was biting like crazy.

Also, some of these dogs are not the most loving of being pet, like you said. That's okay! If she's in a biting mood, petting will probably just give her more to bite.

@thechristianhippie Thanks for the advice. We are working on crate training her.

I’m not mad if she isn’t very cuddly . I like her as a companion either way. Right now it’s just very hard to know how to make her happy.

I think because we don’t have experience, the bitting was very scary. But it seems like it’s normal and we need patience.

Thank you!

@iampassionate My boy ACD is 1.5 and he bites me… but it is clearly communicating or playing. As a younger puppy he was more free and easy with the teeth and would bite out of fun, fear, frustration… you name it. He grew out of that phase and is a much easier dog to be around.

He needs a job. I do my best to task him and he thrives. We just got a new puppy and he knows that he is in charge. I tell him to herd him up, bring him to me, etc and he happily complies.

He is also the security dog and spends time checking the fence line, watching out the windows, and listening for any invaders (squirrels) that might be foolish enough to enter his domain.

He does like to sit with me and he does like to greet and be sweet to his mama (my wife) but he isn’t a cuddle up and watch a movie breed. He is more of a work buddy who likes treats and praise.

They can be a handful but man are they smart. I have had border collies and we have an Aussie Shepard now and the Heeler just gets work done. Figure out his favorite reward and you will be amazed what you can teach him to do with simple commands. He doesn’t bark and when someone comes to the door he looks unamused and angry…which is perfect.

You are in the hard part now… find him a good interactive toy like a herding ball and maybe he will bite that instead of you for a few minutes.

What I can’t manage to train him to do is NOT be excited when I come home. I can live with that for now but we are working on a “settle” command…but it is not catching on! That guy is too ready for fun and work.

@leolioness1984 Thank you! Yeah I don’t care much if she isn’t cuddly . I want exactly what you said: a companion that likes to work and do stuff. Want her to go on multi day hikes with me and other adventures.
And we still figuring out what she really likes as a reward and what’s her favorite toy is. Right now she is just to curious and needs to explore everything:)

Thank you!