My vet wants to charge $700 to get my puppy neutered, is that normal?

@chebles Yes, I actually had to book the appointment for my dog to be neutered at 18 months when he was 6 months

And we actually had to get a voucher for him because he is part pitbull so he’s part of an initiative to be neutered at a reduced rate, and I had to apply for the voucher with enough time for it to be ready but they also expire so it was very tense

@tarper Yes I paid $900 for my female pup. The humane society is cheaper however they do spay/neuter surgeries en masse, like multiples a day, so can't afford the time or resources to offer individual care and attention as my home vet. The price included blood work, anaesthesia, post op supervision, pain meds, and a post-op check up appointment.

Edit: in Canada btw

@tarper Seems high to me. I never paid more than 400 for a female spay which is more invasive.

Check humane societies they tend to do them cheap and they do sooo many neuters that it’s very routine and smooth for them

@tarper It’s gonna vary greatly depending on where you live and the procedures the clinic goes through before and during the surgery. I’ve worked in clinics in different states and have seen them run about $300-$800. Shelters and other places can offer cheaper or free surgeries but please keep in mind that they are usually running on limited resources and need to be able to help animals that are more in need

@imagebeastmarkbeast Yes that’s my only concern with looking at a shelter, it feels a little selfish to take from that— but then I wonder on the other hand if they could use the money I’d be providing… I’ll shop around at some vets and shelters! Thanks for the info

@tarper Canadian here. It was $650-800 in my three quotes. Even the low-cost clinic was $450 and a 2 hour drive plus missed day of work, so it wasn't worth it. I didn't get any extras for my $650. Seeing other vets, they all wanted an exam first which upped their price.

I felt it was super high too, considering how quickly I can neuter goats and piglets for free...