My puppy peed 11 times in 4 hours in sitter’s apartment

@wyattwrd Don’t feel bad, puppies forget often when that young in new places! When mine was a young puppy a similar Rover sitter experience happened that wasn’t great. She complained that my puppy barked when she left the apartment, after I told her that we are still crate training (hence why I hired a sitter…) and that my dog was “too scared to go bathroom outside.” And I also had a friend that swore she “knew dogs” watch her once and she complained that she peed a couple times inside and chewed something up, after I warned her that I crate her if not watching her. I know some people find great, patient sitters, but I had better luck once she was older in an actual daycare center environment. Luckily my dog’s social behavior worked well for that, and she also is high energy and I felt bad having just a friend watch her where she may not get enough exercise.

@wyattwrd My friend’s dog lives in a single family home with a yard. So to that dog, leaving one door means it’s outside and free to pee. We offered to watch him when my friend had a family emergency, however I live in a condo. We could not get that dog to comprehend that leaving our condo door is not outside, hence it peed in the hallway every single time.

Dogs can struggle with generalizing, especially a puppy. Tbh I would not feel discouraged to try another sitter.

@wyattwrd This makes me think the sitter allowed your puppy to drink too much water, and didn’t take them out frequently enough. If they can’t handle puppies, they shouldn’t put it on their profile

@wyattwrd She’s a bit dim if she wasn’t expecting that with a puppy 😂 he’s probably marking! My dog is trained at home but would mark loads anywhere there’s another dogs smell.

If you’re in a pinch, you can get a “wee band” so your pup won’t make messes. It’s what I use with mine if he’s being looked after. But you might want to find someone a little more understanding.

@wyattwrd Neither the puppy's fault nor the sitters fault nor your fault.

I don't know if this helps, but... I once went to a really nice couple for Airbnb, they also had a dog and my puppy was just about 7 months I guess? And right as the super nice woman shows me my room, my pup pees on her carpet right next to her while she is talking. I felt so bad.

I guess new place + other dog just really makes puppies pee-y. Mine also was completely housebroken without an accident for months then.

About two weeks later she peed once on my own carpet in the new apartment into which I had moved and lived for about 5 days then.

So, I guess it's kinda something that happens to dogs. Some dogs generalize some concepts super well and think: No peeing indoors! While other dogs have learnt: No peeing in this house! And it's not their fault either.

It's not a tragedy and as someone else has pointed out, an experienced sitter should not be shocked by something like this from a young puppy and perhaps give it another chance!

@wyattwrd My girl was very prone to UTI's as a pup, are you SURE that's not the issue also? She literally had a like 4 UTI's in her first year, which got much better as she grew up.

@wyattwrd My puppy randomly peed 18 times in the span of a few hours when he was around 4 months old. One day he’d do great then the next day I was going crazy with all the accidents. He ended up having a UTI. Like you said, just keep an eye on it.

@wyattwrd Our puppy had liquid diarrhea in our sitters house the first two times we brought him. The poor little guy gets gastric distress from anxiety. Our sitter was super understanding about it but I felt AWFUL. After the first few times he became more comfortable over there and now doesn't have any issues. I'm sure it's just an adjustment thing.

@wyattwrd Maybe she yelled at him. I’m sure it was something totally different from you. Don’t worry. That’s good for a pup! You don’t want it to get a kidney infection. That’s 3 x hour plus I think ur pup is great!