My puppy peed 11 times in 4 hours in sitter’s apartment

@wyattwrd It could be. Combined with the stress of foreign surroundings that may smell of other dog accidents if that sitter doesn’t use enzymatic cleaner. Perhaps your pup was just having a marking party trying to make the place his

@wyattwrd This is a reflection of a sitter not knowing the signs of a puppy needing to pee, and no failure on the part of your dog. Dogs aren’t great generalizers! They don’t necessarily know not peeing in one house means not peeing in any house.

Why did this sitter not catch onto the signs the first half dozen times? Where were they?

@alektra Thank you so much for this. I felt really frustrated at her for not just taking him out more or taking him on a walk or outside play time to try to avoid this, but i didn’t know if i was valid.

@wyattwrd It may be just me, but I think the sitter may be exaggerating a bit and thinking of a reason to kinda safely back out of the gig. Maybe she didn’t want to admit this as it would reflect poorly as a ‘caretaker of dogs’ when in reality she may have just not wanted to deal with the energy of a puppy and bit off more than she could chew.

I mean, a new environment is one thing…but 11 times is like UTI territory. You may have better luck finding a doggy daycare with a puppy area if a sitter doesn’t pan out.

@wyattwrd Hmm… there are so many things..
I’m a rover user first and now I’m a rover sitter.
First of all, your dog is a PUPPY, it’s normal to have accidents in a new environment. Also, a puppy is a different price (charged extra) compared to adult dogs. Second, I definitely think you should try another sitter. There are many sitters out there that go above and beyond. Third, she has a dog at home so it could’ve made your puppy nervous or anxious as well. You can try to have a meet and greet before booking with the sitter if they have a dog. You can also just book with a sitter that doesn’t have a dog/ pet at their place.

@wyattwrd Not only is it a puppy who was probably extremely excited, but in general it’s not uncommon for dogs especially at a young or puppy age, to have accidents in new places.

Dogs typically don’t want to potty where they live and sleep, but in the beginning they don’t und that your whole living space is there home. At first they understand the crate is there home, then maybe the living room, but it may take awhile for them to understand that the whole home is their home.

When dogs get potty trained in the beginning they don’t go in the house, not because they understand that going potty inside is wrong, but because they grow to understand the whole specific space is a no potty zone.

Therefore it can be difficult for young inexperienced dogs to generalize that ANY indoor space is a no potty zone because to them a new space isn’t where they live so why not potty there. That combined with being excited probably caused the excessive accidents.

My recommendation would be to practice taking your puppy to other peoples homes and when go, take your puppy out every 30 minutes like they aren’t potty trained to help them generalize that all indoors is a no potty zone.

On a side note, any sitter who supposedly deals with puppies should be semi aware of this. If not the exact dog psychology at least be aware that potty trained puppies often have accidents in new places, and should have probably expected/been prepared for this. Granted 11 is a lot but still I find this questionable.

@wyattwrd Echoing everyone else here - normal puppy behavior.

Having said that, if pup keeps peeing that often, take them to vet just to check that he doesn't have a UTI.

(The first time my brother in law and his fiance watched our pup - she would not stop peeing and kept going way more than normal at home. Took her to the vet and she had a UTI.)