My new Buttercut blades heat up way too fast

theredletters

I recently ordered 2 sets of Buttercut Ceramic blades, (4, 5,7, 10, and 30 blades), and I'm sorely disappointed in how fast they get. I love how well they cut, but after 2 or 3 minutes they are pretty hot, (I use them on my Heiniger Opal), meanwhile I can use my Andis Ceramic-edge blades for 6 or so minutes before they start to warm up. Then one of the 7 blades rattles really loud, I tried to tighten them, loosen them, oiled them, cleaned them and they wouldn't stop. Has anyone else experienced these issues? I'm thinking of returning them all and getting another brand.

Update: I ran a test on different blade brands but all 30 blades, while the buttercut ceramics WARMED up a lot quicker than my andis ceramics they didn't get hot to the touch even after 6 minutes. I also ended up taking the rattling 7 apart and it turns out it was the blade tension spring that was causing the rattling, I switched it out with an andis one and it got nice and quiet, even quieter than the good 7 I received.

@lovethyneighbourasthyself I decided to give them another chance, I guess I was being paranoid, especially after the 7 blade began to rattle. I ran a chris christensen 30 blade, andis ceramic edge 30, my coworker's buttercut stainless steel 30 and my buttercut ceramic 30 and timed them while running my clipper at high speed.

The chris christensen got warm around 40 seconds in, and it got hot around 1 and a half minutes in. The andis ceramic edge got warm after around 3 minutes, after 7 minutes it got warmer and I just stopped timing it. The stainless steel buttercut got warm at around 45 seconds and hot at around 2 minute mark. Now the ceramic buttercut got warm around the 1 minute mark but after 6 minutes it stayed only warm.

So I guess I was being a bit paranoid since it got warm much faster than andis ceramics, but it stayed warm and didn't get hot after a good while.

TLDR I decided to keep the blades cause it turns out while the buttercut ceramics warm up fast, they stay warm for a long time without getting hot.

Back