My little rescue Yorkie has been peeing inside frequently after being spayed while in heat. Groomer today said it smells like ammonia. Is this normal?

wandafaith

So my rescue Yorkie (who we were told was spayed when we rescued her) went into heat a few weeks back right after we moved in to our new home. The neighbor dog (a very large unneutered male) got to her, so our vet said getting her spayed while in heat is the best course of action just to be safe. The vet mentioned some potential incontinence issues after being spayed. That said, I took her to the groomer today and they said she peed multiple times in her kennel and it has a strong odor of ammonia. They think it’s a possible UTI or some other infection. I’ve called my vet and am waiting to hear back. She was potty trained until getting spayed, and has had many accidents inside multiple times a day since the surgery. Is this just normal aftermath of the procedure while in heat? Or could it be something more serious? It’s been 1 month and 1 day since she was spayed Wednesday, June 28th.

@wandafaith I have a little Yorkie… although I can’t speak to if it has an infection or being spayed while in heat, I can say that this little guy pees in the house. Sometimes it feels like she angry pees. There is no amount of outside time that seems to put a stop to it either

@wandafaith It could be a couple of factors, it very much could be as simple as a UTI but some dogs do experience issues with urinary incontinence post spay, but I can be well managed with medication. Your vet will have a few options to manage it. The smell and frequency make me think UTI but I am very much not a vet.