My dog killed a dog today - absolutely devastated

drjellyjoe

UPDATE (MORNING AFTER INCIDENT)
I just talked to the vet that initially treated the Border Collie and she said she 100% does NOT believe my dog was involved in the dog attack at all and that the dog sitter was trying to use my dog to cover up what actually happened yesterday. The vet said upon intake of my dog, she took numerous photos of him and despite having half of his fur white, there wasn't a single drop of blood, no visible wounds, he wasn't wet from being washed, absolutely no evidence that he was involved. She sat in the cage with him and he showed no signs or aggression - no growling or anything - but was clearly upset and traumatized. The vet strongly believes that my dog witnessed something horrific. She also said the sitter and her husband were in the vet practice lobby talking and the wife told him to "shut up because people were around" and could hear them. She was very pushy about labeling my dog as the "sole aggressor" and asked the vet practice to "eat the bill." Immediately after insisting the vet practice pay, she asked to make an appointment to get her own dog checked up on his vaccines. The vet strongly believes that the sitter is covering up what truly happened and using my dog as a scapegoat.

Unfortunately, I'll never know what happened that day. Despite that, I have read through all your comments and will NEVER put my dog in daycare again. Even if he wasn't involved yesterday, he still needs more training and I appreciate everyone's advice in what actions I should consider. We've already been connected with a certified dog behavioralist and want to muzzle train him and work on reactivity - really understand his body language and triggers. If anything about this situation has taught me anything, it's that I want to do everything in my power to give my dog the best training and life he could possibly have. Thank you for everyone's insights and I have learned SO much from your comments. I cannot put into words how much I value the information I gained through this situation. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

ORIGINAL POST STARTS HERE:

I've been sobbing my eyes out for the past few hours so this read will probably be a bumpy ride.

We adopted our dog (American Staffie) over two years ago. He was abandoned at a young age and we adopted him around six months old. We've been slowly trying to socialize him more and more with other dogs. We have two cats and he's always been SO gentle with them. Watching him play with the cats was always so sweet - he'd always play bow and paw the air in front of them. Our dog is so sweet and has never shown any aggression with toys, food, or his other belongings. He even let's the cats sleep in his bed and smell his food.

Over the past year, we had a dog sitter that would watch two to three dogs at all time, including ours with no concerns. We also had regular doggie dates with a friend who also owned a dog similar in size. He was doing great!

We thought it was a good time to go the next level up. We decided to start looking for dog events and into doggie daycare. As of last week he'd been attending a doggie daycare at least once a week for almost two months. Other than calming breaks for just getting too riled up, no concerns from the staff. They said they loved him.

Then, last week he got into it with another dog and bit the dog's ear at daycare. Just moments before, he was playing with other dogs and having fun, but then they let this other dog into the play area and said our dog seemed to have attacked completely unprovoked and banned us. I also thought this particularly daycare was way over crowded (usually 20 large dogs to one staff member) with little supervision so I thought my dog was just way overstimulated so probably for the best that he was banned. I thought maybe it was just a weird one-off incident since he'd been doing so well so we gave him a two week break and then decided to do a small "daycare day" through Rover.

I informed the Rover contact of the incident saying that our dog 9/10 times does wonderfully, but has had some reactivity, although it's highly selective so please watch him to make sure he's okay. She assurred me that everything would be fine. We met up with her this morning and we stayed while she introduced our dog slowly to the other five or six dogs she was watching that day. We had our dog on leash before letting the other dogs out and the Rover contact told us not to do that because he's going to feel more threatened. We let him off leash to meet the other dogs. Our dog was super happy, playful, and seemed to be doing great with all the other dogs attending that day. We did notice one of the dogs kind of snapped (it was a border collie) at our dog upon us leaving and the Rover contact said that this particular dog likes her space. We, again, wanted reassurance and we told her that our dog is still just two years old learning social cues. Again, she assured us she and her husband had everything under control and that particular dog doesn't like to be around other dogs. Ugh - I wish I saw the red flag then but we took her word for it that she had everything under control. We left and went about our day.

Through the next six hours, she sent multiple pictures and updates. She said everything was going fine and our dog appears to be having a great time playing.

Then, everything went to shit. She texted and said that our dog attacked and dragged the dog that had snapped at him earlier that morning. She said her husband was in the yard supervising and that our dog entered the other dog's bubble and she snapped and him, then something about our dog trying to jump over the fence to escape or something, and then he attacked and wouldn't let go. After letting the dog go from his jaw, they said our dog was absolutely terrified trembling in a corner obviously traumatized. She also informed me that she had already spoken to the owner and that owner was going to make her liable but that she didn't think she should be. She also kind of made it sound like we needed to be liable although we release our dog into her care for the day.

They rushed the dog to the local vet and it was in and out of consciousness during surgery. When they transported the other dog to the emergency vet, it coded on the table.

Upon talking to the vet who performed the initial surgery on the dog, she informed us that the Rover contacts were acting strangely. The vet said that they brought our dog in later claiming that it was lost and were trying to get our information to contact us - not revealing that our dog attacked the other dog.

The vet also spoke to the owner of the border collie and the owner said she was told that her dog was the only one staying with the Rover contact and did not mention the other five or six dogs at all. If I had to assume, it's because the owner knew and communicated that her dog didn't enjoy being around other dogs, but I don't know... Just an assumption based on how the vet made it sound. The vet was extremely understanding, told us that it's so much more common than we think.

Despite the vet's kind words, I feel absolutely devastated. I'm heartbroken, I feel awful beyond words... Don't know when I'll stop crying. I feel for the other owner and I feel terrible that our dog reacted the way he did.

I'm assuming animal control will contact us tomorrow. What should I expect?

Please only constructive comments as I emotionally cannot handle any verbal attacks today. Thank you in advance.

@drjellyjoe What an absolute gut punch. And how horrific for that collie owners family, to not even know their dog is being put together with dogs until it gets killed by one.

Dont believe anything out of the sitter’s mouth, if they felt good to lie about putting a dog with other dogs, AND trying to pass the dog off as lost, who’s to say things went down how they said it went down? Of course they’re gonna go “everything was fine one minute and we don’t know what happened!”

They played and lost in business. I doubt they’re insured. And it’s a dog business’s job to keep the dogs safe and not lie to their owners.

@cathya How do you know this even happened by your dog? Is there video footage? I would be suspect with all the different things they have been saying depending on who they are speaking with.

EDIT:

I didnt want to badmouth rover because I am sure there is a alot of great dog sitters and walkers but the 2nd time my friend used the service she was called 15 min later after the lady came over to walk the dog. She called my friend and said the dog had knocked her teeth out, my friend came home and the girls Mom came.over and said she would sue my friend. They called the cops and there was no proof that her dog had knocked her tooth out just that she was missing a tooth.

My friend consulted lawyer but nothing came of it but realized this was a ploy that thos girl must have done before. After hearing that I thought their vetting process must not be great. I am glad your dog was absolved of any fault.

@cowboyup I agree with this! OP, how do you know it was your dog? You’ll need evidence to prove it was your dog. If your dog came home, with no blood or fur olin his teeth or anything, then don’t believe that it was your dog. The sitter doesn’t sound trustworthy at all.

@drjellyjoe I'm sorry this has happened. As far as Rover goes, their terms of service seem to indicate that any contract is between the person hosting the day care, and the people paying that person, not Rover. So Rover would not be held responsible for anything even if the Rover contact is saying this:

She also informed me that she had already spoken to the owner and that owner was going to make her liable but that she didn't think she should be.

And this?

and the owner said she was told that her dog was the only one staying with the Rover contact and did not mention the other five or six dogs at all.

and

The vet said that they brought our dog in later claiming that it was lost and were trying to get our information to contact us - not revealing that our dog attacked the other dog.

My guess is that the Rover person is trying to absolve themselves of any blame AND probably was not supposed to have a house full of dogs. And if they rent, then what they were doing is probably not legal. I bet that no one who was using her had any idea that she had so many dogs in her home.

Do you know for sure that animal control was contacted? That's going to be up to the owner of the other dog and perhaps the vet that worked on their dog.

@davecb Rover has a “rover guarantee” which provides some coverage for injury to a dog by another dog in the care of a sitter, with a lot of caveats. Specifically, they must prove that the dog’s owner (OP) or sitter is responsible for the injury by negligence. They also must first seek reimbursement from the responsible party directly before Rover will pay. The offending dog’s owner or the sitter may be considered the responsible party depending on the situation.

@jtyrer
Specifically, they must prove that the dog’s owner (OP) or sitter is responsible for the injury by negligence.

My guess is that the sitter is not going to want to admit guilt. And this?

while she introduced our dog slowly to the other five or six dogs she was watching that day.

When OP's dog was added in, that put the sitter at 6 or 7 dogs it would seem. That's a crazy number of dogs to put together as a pack, when they don't know each other.

@davecb I don’t disagree. I am just a Rover sitter so I am familiar with how difficult the process of getting reimbursement can be. Sometimes Rover will be extremely resistant to paying out, despite justified circumstances, and it makes it very difficult on the owner (who in this case is mourning her dead dog). I don’t think it’s right, that’s just how Rover can be. I was responding to clarify your statement that “Rover will not be held responsible for anything”. They do technically have some financial obligation here (but no legal liability, you’re correct) but getting that financial reimbursement could be difficult.

@jtyrer Rover support is an absolute joke. I had a Rover sitter in November 2022 who was supposed to stay in our house for a week and walk our dog, and instead completely neglected him and didn’t take him on a single walk or provide adequate water. He was so sick when we got home and Rover did not care at all. Despicable company.

@waydick We should be able to trust Rover and others but I would think with cameras costing just $20 or less anyone taking dogs in for care should have camera on all common areas for dogs. After reading of our experience I would putting in cameras in the house if I had others coming in so I had proof of their care for my animals and to make sure they did not bring their friends into my house. I currently have camera pointed out windows an one camera inside over the playpen used for nap area for our granddaughter when we babysit.

@drjellyjoe The rover contact clearly had some issues. I think it probably just mostly a function of your dog hitting “the magic age” and that maturity not vibing well with the existence of a social, group care dog environment.

Your dog is between 2-3 years old which is when most dogs start to show their true adult personalities and their level of dog selectivity/aggression. Your dog is also from a breed that is known for having higher than average dog selectivity/aggression. If animal control does not take them (which I don’t think will happen because most jurisdictions allow at least one/bite fatal encounter with another dog) do not ever put them back in a group care situation. Most dogs don’t actually need something like daycare and it’s putting them in an unnatural situation.

Most likely you will receive no real consequences from this particular situation since it was your first. However, if you do not take this as a learning experience and insulate both your dog and the rest of the public from experiencing another dog attack you may be held liable and your dog might be confiscated by animal control.

I know it sucks for you. It probably sucks so much more for the family who lost their buddy today. Report the Rover sitter to whatever authorities and the platform because clearly they are not doing right. But your job is now to keep your dog contained. Even if your county doesn’t slap them with a “dangerous dog” label you should understand that you are living in that territory now. Take the precautions you need to ensure the safety of everyone (including your dog)

@alaskanaurora I have to step in and say that the “two strike rule” is not entirely true. Your dog absolutely can be destroyed on the first strike if they do enough damage.

That said, since this was a dog and not a human OP can expect that their dog will live, they will just be required to leash/muzzle it in public for life.

@cathya You are correct. However, My local area would not remove/put down a dog for a single bite against another dog and probably not even a human. That seems to be the more common approach for most places now. Although the muzzle requirement will probably be unavoidable.

@alaskanaurora Dogs can attack people badly enough to warrant euthanasia on the first offense. Dogs can in cases severely disfigure, disable even kill some one on the first offense (or first report). Or if a dog injures a kid that’s a huge no-no. This is why most areas have that gray area of one strike to put the power and discretion in the hands of animal control.

@alaskanaurora Yup, a lot of the times they won’t put it down for a first bite, especially if the victim doesn’t want them to! When I was in middle school I was attacked by a dog while delivering newspapers and specifically asked the dog not be put down. The dog was able to run across the street out of its yard and bite me while the owners on the porch didn’t even get up to get their dog. It wasn’t the dogs fault; it was the owners in that case. The court agreed with me (the owners disagreed their dog was at any fault and I had medical bills since their dog wasn’t vaccinated) that it was the owners fault and their options were to have big fences/signs/etc or get rid of the dog. They thankfully adopted the dog out to someone who will hopefully be responsible for it.

Back