Dog killed a rabbit

@armah Your dog probably thought that rabbit was the best toy ever. And then he killed it. It’s what dogs do. I am sorry you are upset. He probably ate some grass as usual but threw up because of all the tension. He is still a good boy.

My girl killed a rabbit, ate the guts and then tried to bring the rest of it in the house!

@armah I’m guessing your body language shifted rapidly after you saw the rabbit and your dog picked up on that fear/tension.

Also, perhaps this is anthropomorphizing, but your dog may have also just been unsure about your reaction/whether or not he just did a bad thing. My yorkie once killed a baby rabbit (I honestly think the poor thing probably just had a heart attack and died), brought it in through the doggy door, then left it in the living room and went to hide in my bedroom lmao. He was so excited and unsure seeming when I found him in there.

Just act normal and your dog will be fine. I also wouldn’t conflate him killing a rabbit with being unsafe around other dogs. They’re two pretty different things.

@harpazo56 Yorkshire terriers were bred to kill rats originally so killing a rabbit is definitely on brand. People forget the origins of their cute little dogs, they were bred small and barky to flush our and kill prey. Dachshunds were bred for badger baiting but are now pamper lap dogs

@robert8 My mum knew a patterdale terrier who has loads of behavioural issues, the local ratter was a friend of theirs. He was trained up and would go ratting a few times a month, behavioural issues gone

@christeveanity Your dog probably thought they would be in trouble. Similar to if your dog rips/tears up toys. If his body language was relaxed he may have just wanted to see your reaction to the “gift”.

Back