My dog is scared of the wind. What can I do? [x-post /r/dogs]

mommym7

Hello all. I'l combine what I wrote in /r/dogs with the questionnaire that the sub uses. She's not really a reactive dog, as regarding the definition I think this sub uses, but I'm sure that if the post is allowed you could help me out.

I'm a huge lover of all dogs, I've trained mine and several of my friend's, and I'm usually pretty good at instantly reading a dog's body language and knowing what can I or someonelse do at any given situation. However this is has let me pretty powerless.

My 6 year old dog is scared shitless of the wind. Last night she woke me up by pawing my face because my window was open and the wind barely moved it. On windy days she get's in a mood that's half flight-insctinc and half tucked-tail-and-between-your-legs. She's not an easy to scare dog by any means. She barks pretty normaly at anything that comes close to my house without getting anoyingly insistent, and get's really friendly with people she doesn't know that much, again, without being overly insistent. She's easy to please, and clear and chill with her immediate desires. She loves people and other dogs. She's the kind of middle size street smart charming dog type that get's people who doesn't like them or fear them to start appreciating them a little bit more, if not outright turning them into a dog-person. But this is really beyond my immediate power. I really don't know what to do other than close the stupid windows. What can I do to help her?

What kind of breed is your dog and approximately how much do they weigh?

No breed, and about 30 kilos.

How old was your dog when you noticed their reactivity?

I don't remember, since it's sporadic (not everyday that there's wind she gets so scared like she's today, but certainly a little everytime) but one way or another about three years ago.

What is your dog's energy level?

Medium? She pretty much combines sleeping all day with going outside to bark at a cat for a few seconds. I'd say she's high level when we're taking a walk, as in, she likes to run around and spend all the energy she doesn't get to waste in my house, but she's always so trustworthy (comes when called whatever the situation, doesn't even get close to fighting with other dogs) that I don't even carry a leash arround anymore, she's always on her own and minding to stay close to me.

Has your dog bitten anyone? If they have, how often and how severely?

She'd literally let herself be mauled before biting back. Once in a walk we came up with a band of strays who almost got her run over because of that exact situation. She never even answered back, even though she could've easily made them scared if she'd tried. She does know how to stand her ground if the threat is not big.

How much physical and mental exercise do you do with your dog?

I think enough! I talk to her a lot, take her for walks and riding shotgun in the car, make her feel a lot like she's part of the family.

Has your dog been with you through major life changes? Things like moving, having kids, getting another dog, etc.

None whatsoever. In fact I've temporaly had a lot of dogs that needed shelter, for example, and she'd always recieve them well.

What type of area do you live in currently? Suburbs, urban, countryside? If you're comfortable, you can share the nearest metro area and we may be able to recommend specific trainers/behaviorists.

Suburbs in a third world country, no point (and not interested in) giving directions.

What things does your dog do when reacting? (jump, bark, lunge, stare, whine, etc.) Check out ispeakdog.com for wonderful examples of behavior.

She doesn't whine, but she doesn't whine in general. She lowers her head, sometimes tucks her tail, looks really anxious, hides under the table and tries to get on my lap even though she usually hates prolonged hugs or someone picking her up. While the door or window in question is moving, she stares at it with her ears raised and a very anxious expretion on her face.

What triggers a reaction? Men, women, kids, dogs, birds, and so on.

Things being moved by the wind. Particulaly windows, doors and a broom falling.

Do they react the same everywhere or do they only react in certain locations?

If she's in the garden, she doesn't seem to mind the wind. I assume the open space gives her a feeling of safety. As if her actual fear was that my house would colapse. Although she does get scared of powerful storms if we get caught by one in the open, but to be honest only when they're big enought to actualy be a concern. She gets scared the most when the door or the window she's in opens/closes.

Does your dog react the same to their triggers on leash versus off leash? If they react on leash, do they redirect onto you or the leash?

She doesn't wear a leash anywhere, but I'm positive it'd be the same.

Does your dog react to their triggers behind a barrier? (Like a window or a fence)

Does the inside of my house counts as a barrier? I guess so, since it's a delimitated space clearly different from my garden. She leaves the house if I say "go outside", so she clearly understands the difference.

What's their threshold distance? Can they see any of their triggers at a distance and not react?

If she only hears a door closing because of the wind on another room that we're in, she gets scared all the same, if not more. It's almost as if she were to believe the house was haunted or something. She does not get scared at all by doors closing in general, not remotely. She knows very well when it's the wind closing it and when it's a person, no matter if she's looking at it or hearing it. I'd say if it's only the garden door, for example, she doesn't get scared so much as if it's the door to the room she's in. It's not a matter of being locked away niether, since she has no problem with that normaly (she sleeps with me with the doors closed all night long, and scratches the door to let me know in the off chance she wants to go out).

What sort of training, if any, have you done so far? This includes counter conditioning, BAT, Look at That game, and many others.

Don't know much about games, but she's a pretty smart girl that understands a lot of words, differentiating between statements with only one word of difference. We play catch, or tug of war with her toys. She never understood the Look At That except when told to look around for two things: "Someone We Know Coming" (she gets excited because someone we know is approaching, and will begin to search for them), or "Attention: Dog Aproaching" (I signal her to look arround so she doesn't get caugh off guard by a dog approaching).

Is your dog on any medications for their reactivity? Is this something you would consider?

None and it's certainly not necessary. It's just a stress factor that appears sometimes.

How much time will/can you commit to helping your dog work through reactivity?

As much as it is necesary. I love my dog and I love spending time with her.

What sort of equipment do you have? Leashes, collars, harnesses, muzzles, etc. We generally do not recommend aversives on fearful or aggressive dogs because it can make the reactivity worse.

Just a leash I never use since she was like nine months, when we started to take walks.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

@mommym7 My cat is the same way. She is scared of the sound wind makes when it hits the window, especially if the window is open. She's also scared of window cleaners (we live in an apartment). Any other loud noise is fine except for those two. It used to be so bad that she would hide under the bed and pee herself.

The more common way to get rid of fears like these is through desensitisation and classical counterconditioning. That article that I linked has some useful information, so check it out.

This video talks specifically about fear of fireworks, but you can use the same process. I used a similar method to help out my cat. I found some videos on youtube of various wind sounds and played them at a very, very low volume while she ate her breakfast and supper. She's not very food motivated but it worked. I slowly increased the volume as time went by; turns out she's a pretty resilient cat so we actually moved through all of this in just a few weeks. I really encourage you to read more on classical counterconditioning since if you time things wrong and flood your dog, it's really easy for the dog to start associating treats with scary noises, so you could end up increasing the problem.

The issue with my cat is that she's not only scared of the noise, she's scared of something else - could be something environmental that is completely out of my control and that I simply can't replicate (like changes in pressure and such). The training did help, she doesn't pee herself anymore, but she still hides. I currently manage her fear by using a pressure wrap to help her out, and I have noticed a difference with her - I've even seen her fall asleep! We'll be getting a thundershirt eventually.

Back