My dog drinks excessive amounts of water and then proceeds to relieve herself constantly. How do I get her to learn self control?

cindy8375

So I have a 11/ almost 12 week old puppy, she’s mixed between A Black Lab/Pit-bull/ and an Aussie blue healer.
Me and my fiancé have been training her regularly, since we got her. (Examples being, sit, stay, lay down, we’ve also crate trained her)

My problem is when we have the gravity water down, she’ll sit there and drink and drink until she chokes. She doesn’t have this problem with food, as she doesn’t have access to it 24/7.
She’ll drink tons off water and immediately after piss gallons.
And it’s like all her training is forgotten, she won’t respond to the sit command or the stay command.

We’ve tried all the methods google has given us but non seem to Stick with her.
Is there any other way we can train her to drink when she’s thirsty and not just because it’s there?
Or is this maybe and issue internally and we need to take her to the vet?

I’m going to add this since everyone is freaking out on why she’s not at the vet.
I’m legally blind and can’t do it myself.
Our vet is over two hour walk on horrible terrain. My fiancé works a full time job from 8 am to 8 pm.
Our vet opens at 9 and closes at 6.
I have to wait till he’s off unfortunately. Otherwise I’d be there already.

@cindy8375 Your dog might have kidney issues or even an underlying medical condition including diabetes. I would take your dog to the vet as soon as possible to rule out any serious medical problems.

@cindy8375 You're being down voted for asking a question. I think this might be because people are worried about your dog. Excessive thirst is a big red flag for numerous medical issues. It's not you're fault that you didn't know that, and I'm glad you asked. We never learn if we don't ask questions.

@cindy8375 congenital defects can definitely be a possibility. I would recommend measuring her water intake. So pre measure the amount of water you put in and then measure what’s left. That way you can bring that information to your veterinarian to best come up with a plan for her

@cindy8375 I got my puppy at 12 weeks and she had pneumonia and seizures. Just like in humans disease doesn’t care about what breed or how old the pup is. Please get it checked out to be safe. I wouldn’t want your pet to suffer or possibly pass away.

@cindy8375 I had a Golden Retriever that would wet her self constantly when crated, even if gone for 30-45 minutes. At 9 months old our new vet put her on diabetic medication for a small time period, that seemed to clear up the issue. Down the road when she just turned 3, we came home from vacation and she was acting weird. At first that's normal but then she had issues walking and standing. We went to the vet and found out her kidney's never grew from puppy size. She was on fluids daily for about 4 months before we had to put her down. So I'd definitely get him/her checked.

Also, the one thing the vet had us do was keep water available at all times. Measure out each time you give them water and keep track of it. She drank 2 Liters in the first 30 minutes. He said that's about the same amount a dog drinks in a day.

@ftcdatsapod Sorry to hear about your pupper. Is there any way this problem was a foreseeable genetic issue? As in, the breeder should immediately stop breeding the pair that produced your puppy? I'm wondering if any other puppies in the litter also developed (or didn't) this defect. I'm really sorry for y'all falling in love with then losing your pup so early.

@cindy8375 It doubtfully has anything to do with her breed. UTI is fairly likely and common at that age depending on circumstance. Please get her into the vet as soon as you can.

@cindy8375 Our very healthy GSD as a puppy was prone to UTIs. Lady dogs are more prone to it as they have a shorter* urethra.

Whenever she had a UTI she drank insane amounts of water, like a fish out of water. It is a definite sign of a potential UTI and pretty common for female puppies.

Vet visit would be my first step. Thankfully UTIs are easy to treat, and hopefully that’s all it is.

@golfer61 It’s not exactly disease resistance it’s more genetic diseases are often recessive (not always, but almost always). So the dominant (healthy) allele will often hide the recessive trait. Pure bred dogs often have homozygous recessive dogs crossed with the same recessive disorder so that is why health issues are so prominent in purebreds, since the dominant trait was bred out. And traits that lower fitness also lower things like immune response as well. But other then that, yes. Was just correcting the technicality and expanding on it lol

Back