(M) Anatolian/Kangal x (F) Doberman

brock

Hello, I have a male Anatolian (200lbs) and a female Doberman (76lbs). I was wanting to breed the two together to get the ideal traits that both have to look after and protect my farm (Anatolian livestock guardian and the Doberman's "eyes in the sky" for birds of prey). My question is, is the weight difference too large for them to breed? Doberman puppies are usually born between 10-20 ounces while Anatolians are born between 16-32 ounces.

Trying to find any information about this has been throwing me in circles. Any help or information is highly appreciated! Thank you.

@brock Few things:

- Crossbreeding two good dogs doesn't guarantee puppies will arrive with those traits. It's a major out-on-a-limb kind of thing.

- Yes, the size difference is a major issue. You'll want the female to be the larger of the two breeds, not vice-versa.

- For any breeding, you want to make sure that you're doing health tests and the like to avoid passing down bad traits.

- Doing something like this, you're looking at potentially many, many, many years of breeding (correctly) to even try to ensure that you're getting what you want - it's very, very, very unlikely to happen on the first try.

@jeffwilly001 Thank you very kindly for the information. 🙏 This has been very helpful!

I'll just stick to keeping my two breeds then and have them train the future pups when I adopt again.

Back