Losing weight on Open Farm

pogue72

I’ve been feeding my chocolate lab (12) open farm for a few months now and he’s been really struggling to keep on weight. He’s still an active dog and I have to feed him 5 cups a day to manage his weight (serving size is 3-3/4 cups).

Has anyone else had this problem? Should I switch him to something else?

Edit: he was previously on senior performatrin ultra and had no issues

@pogue72 I have anecdotally heard of this problem with both open farm and farmers dog. But it’s hard to know what else could be going on there or if it’s truly a food problem.

You absolutely need a vet visit to check for underlying health issues and probably to discuss a science backed diet

@pogue72 My dogs where on open farm for a while. My pit started to have issues with white fish. My Weim had trouble keeping weight on with open farm he was eating about 5 cups of food to maintain his weight but being a Weim I try to avoid feeding large quantity (bloat fear). Decided to take them off it because of those reasons.

@pogue72 Controversial question lol.

My Weim is eating Nutri-Source wholesome grain right now. It’s what his breeder feeds and he does really well on it. So I am sticking with that for now. I don’t like to use only 1 brand I don’t think any brand is perfect in my opinion.

I had done Purina before but he never does well on it. Loose stool or constipation (depends on the line) crappy oily coat but yet has dandruff, eye boogies, weird pond water smell to him.

@pogue72 Personally, I feed the majority of the time Open Farm RawMix with Ancient Grains. My guy has put on weight since I’ve been using Open Farm RawMix with Ancient Grains almost exclusively. I am currently working through the last bag of Royal Canin Adult Medium so I’ve been alternating for now.

Which kind of Open Farm are you feeding? RawMix or regular?

Back