Looking for tips from other groomers who have dealt with Lagottos and their crazy owners…

@mutambo Yeah, after getting feedback and also doing some research it seems like a large part of the problem if that I have been approaching them like doodles. Recommending owners brush between visits, and then when they came in I would bathe them, soak them in conditioner and try to brush them out that way, and then use the force dryer to continue to try and force the tangle and matts apart, then after the dog was fully brushed out, with soaking wet towels in each hand I would rub them all over the dog to the coat to curl back up again.

Sounds like I will be re-setting the length of their coats and using the no-brush/no-dry approach in the future.

@cicion Ngl, I'd pry do something between the common doodle/teddybear & a bichon head, with a carrot style tail.

I'm a crazy poodle lady, not a crazy lagotto lady 😜

Idea just popped in, why not get a towel or pet robe, soak it in really diluted leave in conditioner, and have the pet wear it after the groom? Maybe for 10-15 minutes? That should curl em back up

@cicion My Lagotto client comes every 4 weeks, getting a full haircut every 3rd visit) 3/8" allover, scissor muzzle), everything is fine pre bath, and I mean everything, we only blow dry him for less than 2 minutes so he's not drippong, towel dry him a ton and let him run around the salon until he's dry. Once he's completely dry I quickly scissor any big long chunks, leave him looking semi messy and send him home. Now that I'm used to this ass backwards grooming process, I don't mind it at all.

@cicion I’ve only worked on one my entire career and only once was it not matted. If you’re in the states I honestly think these European rustic coated dog breeds just don’t get taken care of the same way here in the states. I think too many owners who can afford this breed don’t want to afford the grooming to keep their dog truly rustic. They should be groomed every two weeks to avoid matting since the coat is tricky.

@cicion I have a lagotto and 5-8 weeks seems too long between grooms to keep the rustic look. I think my groomer requires every 4 weeks at a minimum. Maybe more frequent grooms would help?

@jonnley Yes, I’m starting to feel like I need to see these creatures more often. The good news is that I think once I get a handle on the proper way to deal with their coats I don’t think as much labor will go into them as they would for doodles so I think I can maybe get away with offering slightly cheaper baths more often for them.
Does your groomer shave your Lagotto? How many times a year or how many grooms can you typically go before you both decide it’s time to shave?

@cicion I’ve only been going to my groomer for a few months, but my dog gets a bath every week at the groomers. And so his coat stays in excellent shape. I can DM you my groomers Instagram handle and she could probably give you great advice.

@cicion My husband and I own a Lagotto and after learning to groom (because of ours) we now groom multiple other lagottos regularly. We could almost open our own shop doing just Lagottos now 😅

We haven't groomed any other curly haired breeds, but from my understanding one of the biggest differences with Lagotto's is that you never blow-out-straighten the curls like I think you do with poodles. The goal is not to break the curls because once they are broken the hair starts to mat. You also don't brush the coat when it is dry and you don't use conditioner. I tested a conditioner once in 1 spot on my Lagotto (because I didn't believe it could be as bad as they say) and only that one spot got frizzy, staticy and pouffy and did not curl anymore until it got shaved.

Depending on the dog we say 6-10 weeks per shave, and very few of them brush their dog more then once between grooms.

This is our process:
Dog arrives, plays with ours for a bit and then on the table. Ear pluck first, then a rough shave with #3 or #4 everywhere except for the head which is scissored roughly. Ears to the leather on the tip and then all along the back of the ear but leave the front part of the ear to blend in with the facial hair. Blend from the shorter back of the ear to meet the longer front of ear. Shave out the hair between paw pads and clean up between toes (watching the water-dog skin that connects the toes). #10 on the privates, scissor bum clean. The tail should be slightly thicker at the base then it is at the tip (carrot shaped).

Then bathe with just shampoo, no conditioner. Then force-dry to remove most of the water and check the skin for any redness, irritation or rashes. These dogs have quite thin skin so force drying is great for doing a check in on skin health. But while force drying do not brush to straighten the curls, just remove the majority of the moisture so you can finish.

After force drying, return the not-quite dry dog to the table and comb the head hair out. Don't use those metal spikey brushes, they will break the coat and cause it to mat easier next time. We then blow dry the dog on low heat with a hand held blow dryer (but I am sure you guys have better dryers or cage dryers). Then we use a #3F or 4F and do the finish on the body. Scissor finish the face shape, leaving a bit of the stop so that the eyes and nose don't look completely separated. From the side view the transition from the top of the head to the nose looks kind of like a ski slope. Trim the "drip zone" from the mouth, check the teeth health and examine for any cracked teeth and then clean the ears. We do the nails last and there's nothing different about Lagotto nails.

I realize that rough shaving before bathing is usually a no no in the grooming world, but after the bath any hair that we missed on the rough cut sort of sticks up better and gets clipped easily with the finishing blades. We haven't found a better way yet, this just seems to work so well for us.

It takes roughly 2.5 to 3 hours per trim for us but again, all we do is Lagottos! Some of what I have detailed here might be common knowledge to you guys as groomers but I hope that detailing out our method might have helped somehow.

@cicion I haven’t done em but my boss does 3 and I’ve bathed and prepped them for her. My boss combs them while they are still wet and then has them air fry under fans to maintain the rustic coat. As annoying as it is, the fact that you are learning a unique breed standard is really cool!

@cicion Ugh this happened to me at my last shop. I would brush with a Chris Christensen slicker and use corn starch on the really bad parts. Completely groom before the bath (killer on your equipment so charge EXTRA). Bathe, spritz with finishing spray (or vinegar mixture), cage dry, finishing touches. I had one I could do a breed cut on, one was always too matted to do anything but a 7. The dog should be brushed weekly and they can spritz the dog with water to make the coat curl back up.
I also received a ‘grooming’ packet. I don’t know why I found it so insulting, but I did.
I started getting more calls for them and either said I wasn’t accepting more Logatto clients or priced them too high. Two was more than enough. Good friggen luck.

@joshua2505 When my customer handed me the grooming packet I wasn’t insulted at the time because she had sent me the same thing via link and was always trying to “help” me figure out tips and tricks on grooming this breed. But then when I actually read the packet I got pretty annoyed because it dumbed everything down like it was for owners and not groomers, identifying anatomy and instructions on how to even give a bath.

I feel bad because I keep raising the prices on my Lagotto owners but every time they come in I have to do more work than the time before!

The owners I have to deal with are very odd, but they are at least nice. If I ever have to shave their dogs they get a little sad but are pretty understanding and still tip well. I hope I can get grooming their dogs down for them.

@cicion I haven't seen this breed before, but I would have them bring photos of the exact look they want and go from that and prep like you would a thick coated doodle. I groom a dog called an "Australian cobbler dog." it's basicly a aussie doodle, and I just do what the owner shows off her phone or some print out. I prep my doodle coats by misting with a de tangle spray, brushing in with a slicker brush and hitting the coat from nose to tail with the force dryer on full blast. This will help separate the coat and locate Matt's and tangles easy , and can de mat some matting types. After locating problem spots, take a de matting comb and start the grind, within reason, of course... follow up with a slicker brush and steel comb and the force dryer again if needed. Depending on size and coat type/length I get doodles prepared for a bath between 25 to 70 minutes. Also, charge your worth. If it takes 45 minutes to prep a coat, that's time and needs to be charged.

@cicion We just got a Lagotto and our breeder recommended a 4 week grooming schedule. Our pup is 4 months old and had her first body shave and face trim. We were told to get her body shaved again one month after the first groom. This is supposed to help the adult coat come in properly. I'm sorry that you are having difficulty with your Lagotti and their owners.

Back