Littermates with a plan

timmysfriend

We adopted 2 Littermates (M,F) then learned about this whole littermate syndrome. The F can go live with MIL on a temporary basis as my kids and the M are buddies, but will we ever be able to bring her back into our home and avoid the dreaded littermate syndrome? She come back every 2 or so days for a few hours/night and they just play so hard that I’m not sure it’ll break. It’s a unique situation, but wondering if anybody has had a similar experience?

@timmysfriend There is no scientific evidence that suggests that littermate syndrome exists.

Any two dogs raised together 100% of the time without separate walks, training, and playtime can develop an unhealthy bond, even if they are different breeds, and littermates aren’t any more or less likely statistically to have these issues. There is also some limited research that suggests that breed and gender matter more than whether they’re from the same litter.

Most problems with littermates come from them not being properly socialized and trained as individuals because doing this for two puppies at once is hard work even for a professional, but getting an 8 week old chihuahua and an 8 week old golden retriever at the same time and not training them as individuals would be just as likely to result in problematic behaviors. Also, the behaviors described as a “syndrome” aren’t in any way medical or incurable, and can be modified with training, further proving that it’s not a real syndrome. They’re also all over the place. Your dogs are too attached to each other? Littermate syndrome! Your dogs hate each other? Littermate syndrome! You have well-adjusted littermates? Coincidence!

IN YOUR CASE, the reason they play so hard when you reunite them is that puppies like to play! Literally every puppy kindergarten class I’ve helped with starts with half an hour of play time because puppies that young want to play together and if you tried to go right into class they’d all be space cadets. Either rehome one dog if you can’t manage training them as individuals or just bring them both home and get started.

@timmysfriend I know that raising and training two puppies well is incredibly difficult. I brought two puppies home (littermates) m/f and they are fine. Do they work each other up? Yep. Do they push each others buttons? Yep. Do I intervene and not let them punk each other? Yep. Are they as well trained/behaved as if I could have focused on one at a time? Nope, not even close. Would I do it again? Nope.