It’s only night 2 and I’m struggling

@yeshuafollower I ignored the crying and did hourly potty trips the first couple of nights, then 2 hourly for the next couple, then 3. After about 5 days, if I woke up from my alarm and heard no crying then I'd go back to sleep until the next alarm. You could get a nanny cam and check to see if she's asleep from your room without waking her if she is.
I would avoid using the crying as your prompt to take her out as she'll quickly figure out that's what she needs to do to get your attention.

@yeshuafollower Hi! I am in almost the exact same situation as you, this morning is my third morning of sleep deprived puppy adjusting and holy heck and I stressed, crying, and truly wondering if I should take him back (while also knowing I ultimately do NOT want to do that in the long run). No amount of reading and researching and trying to tap back into my childhood with dogs has helped. Being able to come here and find posts from others in the same place, and then replies from older puppy parents saying it gets better, is the thing keeping me going right now. We need a “puppy blues” support group 😂😭

@christiangal2015 Yes we do!! It’s so hard. No amount of research could prepare me for how mentally draining sleep exhaustion is. I knew I wouldn’t sleep, but that doesn’t prepare you to actually do it. It’s a struggle. And I totally agree, I feel soooo much better after reading comments of people who were in my situation but are now doing better. It’s like there’s light at the end of the tunnel after all lol.

@yeshuafollower I’m at the same place as you. My boy had never been in a crate before, so we’re having to work up to that. But he has a pen attached to the crate so we’re starting there.

Last night one thing that helped me was sitting next to him holding a bully stick for him to chew on while he settled. I also gave him a couple of treats.

This was 3:30 in the morning and he was wild. It took 42 minutes to settle and sleep.

@yeshuafollower Haha yeah. I have started timing how long it takes him to settle because I realize my sense of time is really off. The middle of the night crazies did take a long time, although he wasn’t really crazy for more than a few minutes. I’ve also realized sitting quietly with him works best, because when I talk to him he thinks it’s time to play.

@yeshuafollower Absolutely ZERO judgements here, OP. This sounds just like my first nights too!

A couple of things I can recommend:
  • if your pup can go to sleep when it cannot see you, maybe having the crate in another room may help? Then the conditions will be the same for naps as they are at night. I know everyone says "next to the bed" and whatever, but gotta adapt to your individual puppy!
  • i used to play Relaxing Music for Dogs (YouTube) on my tablet in the room at night. My pup really enjoys music and so this helped her a lot.
  • at one point, every time my pup cried we would go outside to the toilet, wait and then back into the crate. I think this deterred her from doing it as she didn't like being taken out to the cold so much.
Don't get me wrong, my 18 week old 100% still grizzles when she is asked to sleep in her crate at night but now it's down to a medium level grizzle, and she will soon go to sleep before waking me at 6-7am with a toilet cry.

Good luck OP. What you are feeling is completely normal! It will pass and start getting so much better.

Edit: also highly suggest looking up the 3-3-3 rule for dogs. Your pup is mentally still unsure where it is, who you are and it's probably feeling a bit scared in a strange place.

@yeshuafollower If you’re not already you could feed meals in the crate for a while to help build up that association.

You might want to set up a play pen or secure area for her to be a night so she’s not panicking in the crate at night. Put the crate there too and she’ll likely get used to going in there on her own to sleep. Only take her out every 2-4 hours. She should be able to hold it longer than an hour. If she’s really having a hard time holding it feed her earlier and take water away an hour or so before bed so she has time to empty herself.

I would also try to have her nap a little less during the day or at least the 4 hours before bedtime. You could start having a nightly walk to tire her out before bed (also a good time to empty her bowels). And just in case you don’t know never play with her at night you want to avoid teaching her that night time is for anything other than sleeping.

Hang in there things will get better soon. It sounds like you’re putting in your best effort which is the key with puppies.

Edit to add: this is only day two and she’s probably used to sleeping with litter mates so you could try giving her a warm water bottle in a sock or something soft for her to cuddle up to.

@jag We feed her in the crate during the day. She will eat and then fuss, but at least she eats. She is totally find taking a nap in there during the day. I put her in when she’s really sleepy and she might whine a few times but then settles and falls asleep.

We hold off food and water 2 hours before bedtime. I have no clue how she manages to pee every hour lol

@yeshuafollower Does she pee a lot during the day too? It could be a UTI or it could just be that she’s only 8 weeks old but it seems odd. I used to night train puppies for a B&T and very rarely did I have a puppy that actually needed to pee every hour.

@yeshuafollower This is what worked for my puppy. Crate training felt impossibly hard at first when I was sleep deprived but it’s one of the quickest things we trained now looking back. It was really important to me that she slept well in a crate so I was super consistent with it from the first day.

She has had a snuggle puppy since day 1. We only used the heat/heartbeat for I think the first night or 2. That didn’t seem to make a difference for her. But she lovessss that thing and it’s the best money I’ve spent. She still sleeps with it nightly and anytime she naps even if not in her crate she goes to get it. She snuggles up with it like she used to her littermates and I really think it helped that initial adjustment.

She is crated in a different room from where We sleep. We didn’t want her in our room at night so I just never did that and she adjusted fine. A ton of people say they need to see you to calm down but that was the opposite for my puppy. She calmed down when she saw we were not giving her attention for crying. And we had to move the crate to the farthest place from my apartment hallway and neighbor walls because we think that was waking her. We use a sound machine on white noise every night now to help block out any sounds that might wake her up too.

We use a crate cover rather than a sheet. The cover attaches to the crate so it can’t flap around or move at all and potentially distract her. And she can’t try to bite it because it’s fitted. I keep the front of the cover rolled up because I don’t think she would like being completely blacked out but the cover makes her feel safe.

I use a camera so I can see what she’s doing when I hear barking or whining. I have an affordable one from Amazon called Petcube and it does the trick. It was helpful to check on her without having to go in where she could hear or see me. You’ll learn that you can tell when she’s on the verge of settling down vs when she clearly needs to go potty and isn’t going to settle based on how she’s acting in there.

I think the most important thing we did was bring her crate into the living room where we hang out every evening or the kitchen where I work during the day for the first 2ish weeks. She would go in on her own and we would just let her settle there. We enticed her in sometimes with treats but mainly let her discover it on her own. Sometimes we would sit down there beside it so she would get interested in it too. That crate was always an option for her to lie in wherever she was and she got really used to it.

I didn’t set alarms to take her out. The crate divider was set so that she had just enough room to turn around and lie down so I knew she would bark if she needed to go potty and I didn’t want to wake her up when she didn’t have to go out yet. She woke up once a night around 4:30am most nights at first and I would take her out to potty. I carried her from her crate all the way outside and then picked her up as soon as she was done. Never talked to her other than to say go potty. Right back in the crate without her paws touching the floor once inside. I take her water away around 8pm and her last potty is at 10pm. If she had been out within 2 hours and was barking I would make her stay in there. You’ll learn whether she can hold it that long quickly and can adjust your night time potty breaks accordingly. Once you know when she has to go out vs when she’s just whining to get out it helps.

I did a lot of ignoring her barking and whining when I knew she didn’t have to potty. It sucked and felt mean but you have to stay consistent with nighttime is for sleeping. This was harder for my boyfriend because he thought she would never settle when she would really get going and wanted to let her out because it’s loud and frustrating. But they eventually tire themselves out and will go back to sleep you just have to be patient. (Make sure to take off her collar because it’s not safe if they are jumping around).

There were a lot of tears at first due to sleep deprivation and anxiety about being in an apartment. We even got a note from our neighbors about it. But it took her maybe 2 weeks to sleep through the night and now we wake her up in the morning at 7:30 and she’s only 13 weeks old. It felt like this would never happen when we were in the first 2 weeks. Hang in there it will get better and it’s so hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel when you are so sleep deprived!

@yeshuafollower What helped me was setting up a consistent schedule. We literally do the same thing every single day, and he goes into his crate for naps and bedtime at the same time every day. Now that my puppy is older, we vary it a bit on the weekends. But he expects to go in his crate at the same time every day, and never whines because of it. Obviously, nighttime is a little trickier because if your puppy is howling you’re going to want to let them out in case they have to go outside. BUT you can still keep bedtime at a consistent time every night! Just make yourself as boring as possible when you let her out after bedtime, and until the scheduled “wake up” time, don’t play with her. Try out different things she can chew on if she wants to be awake during this time (bully sticks, yak chews, Kong, etc).

I know you said she’s not very food motivated but you also have only had her for 2 days. You may need to try several types of treats or long chews to figure out what she likes. For example, my puppy doesn’t like peanut butter, applesauce, chicken, or cheese. So it was really hard to find a “high value” treat - but turns out that he loves deli ham! We also have freezedried beef bites that we use as training treats, but again, it took about 5 tries before we found something he liked.

@yeshuafollower My puppy is 16 weeks now, so it’s not that long ago that he was 7 and a half.

First of all, I made sure I got enough sleep despite nighttime interruptions, which will be a fact of life for the next month. Raising a puppy is not intuitive, and often it requires doing things that go against your instinct. Everything you’ve learned tends to go out the window on the spur of the moment if you don’t have enough sleep. For the first week I made sure I got 8 hours at a minimum. To do this you have to aim for 9 hours, since often you will end up laying awake in bed.

Once you’ve sorted your sleep out, go through a puppy handbook. It tends to be more organized than websites or videos. My puppy handbook covers everything I needed to know in the first four weeks.

Finally, realize that you’re most likely reinforcing the behaviors that you don’t want. For instance, if you talk to the pup nicely while she’s howling, you might think you’re comforting her, but she’s learning that she gets attention whenever she howls. From bedtime until morning, you have to become a boring robot that only interacts with her when taking her to the toilet. If her nighttime potty breaks are fun in any sense of the word, she’ll learn to look forward to waking you up at night.

You said once she wakes up to potty she only wants to play. If you carry her straight to her toilet area and back without a word, she’ll soon learn that humans are boring at night and only play during the day.