Is there a high-fat low-carb packaged dog food?

@sisterfriend Why low carb. I'm a pet nutritionist at a pet shop and all though carbohydrates are not necessary in a dogs diet they can help to get a healthy balance of glucose in a dog especially on a raw diet if you're someone who doesn't have a large knowledge on raw (barf) also are you u.k if you're u.k I'd recommend Barking head dog food which is made in england or orijen which you can get world wide. It is one of the highest rated dog foods and has very good ingredients

@sisterfriend You are right to look for low carb, dogs have no requirement of carbs in their diet and it can lead to weight gain and high blood sugar spikes because most of it turns into sugar as they are digesting. Also foods that have high carbohydrate content tend to have lower protein content. Carbs aren't listed on the bags of many companies but if you want to figure out approximately what percentage of carbs are in the food look at the guaranteed analysis, then start at 100% and subtract the protein minimum, fat percentage, fiber... etc. the number you get after subtracting everything on the guaranteed analysis gets you pretty close to the percentage of carbs that are in that food. Raw food brands are incredibly high in protein and have little to no carbohydrate content. I would recommend Stella and Chewy's raw food, they use HPP - high pressure pasteurization so you can be sure it is safe for your pets. It sounds gross to us but dogs have a much shorter digestive system than we do so they absorb much less bacteria and are naturally scavengers, they are meant to eat scavenged prey and not be affected by bacteria or meat that isn't cooked. I agree that Champion (company that makes Origen) is a great company as well if you are set on kibble, their Origen line still has a 20% carb content, but that is incredibly low industry wide for kibble.

Back