Is it overkill to pay 3500 for a well health tested puppy from a show breeder when I’m not into showing?

mainechild

My family and I are getting a standard poodle. My spouse is of the thought that a dog shouldn’t cost much, couple hundred bucks maybe. He thought paying even 1000 was way overkill, that paying much for something that could get hit by a car isn’t worth it. Figures it’s crazy to spend so much on something you can’t get some of the investment back on by selling it, like say a car.

I’m more of the mind that you get what you pay for in a sense. A dog so cheap (not speaking of shelter dogs) almost certainly hasn’t been health tested thoroughly and could have underlying health issues come up.

I found a breeder near me that tests extensively and breeds to better the breed, does amazing. Others charge a little less for being tested but usually aren’t as thorough as this and are far away.
Understandable since they show, charges $3,500, which my husband thinks is way too much for us given we just need it as a pet, but supports if that’s what I want to do.

TL;DR Not questioning the breeders price, I’m questioning me btw. Sure health tested means less likely to have genetic issues, but does it lower the odds enough to be worth a harsh jump in price? Is it overkill/unreasonable of me to pay so much for a thoroughly parent tested standard poodle puppy bred for show when I’m only gonna be having it as a pet? My thought is no, but I’m wondering if I’m crazy for it lol.

I’d welcome opinions. Questioning whether a pup being so well tested is unnecessary and not worth the price as opposed to a cheaper one who has had less.

@mainechild A wellbred purebred is always worth it in my opinion.

However you should look into sports to do with your poodle, it's incredibly rewarding for both you and the dog and I'm sure your breeder will feel estatic that their puppies were going on to do great things :)

@mainechild We put the same effort money and time into breeding a pet for you as a show dog. Pet or show dog doesn’t matter. All of our work goes into making the healthiest puppies we can. I personally do sell show prospects for a bit more but not much.

A well bred dog can save you $$$$$ down the line. This breeder sounds like a good breeder. I would pay the money. Standard poodles tend to be pricey. They are amazing dogs, getting one that is well bred from a reputable breeder who does all testing, showing etc. is a serious find.

@mark0086 Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place? I haven’t been able to find standard poodle breeders that breed for pets and also do all the necessary/recommended health testing for not having pups with stuff inherited from parents. Not saying they don’t exist, I’m saying if you know where you’re all hanging out let me know! Lol. The few I’ve found have been priced in the same range as show dogs.

@mainechild We breed dogs period. Some have better conformation so they may end up in the show ring. Some aren’t perfect conformation so they go to our pet families. The majority of a litter is going to be pet puppies. If I have a litter of 8, 3-4 may be show dogs. The rest are lovely healthy pets for families or hunting dogs.

People who breed for just pets tend to be backyard breeders who don’t put the work in to breed healthy dogs.

Every litter of every purebred is going to have a mix of show and pet puppies. Not everyone wants to show their dogs. I’ve sent some incredibly nice show prospects to pet homes. There’s only so many show homes out there, and we can’t keep all the puppies we think are show prospects. Normally we keep a super female for our breeding program.

I wouldn’t buy a puppy from anyone not doing the required health testing ever. Too many genetic issues out there that can cause your dog problems down the road. Better to get a puppy that has both parents tested and a breeder who knows what issues there may be in their lines and be actively breeding to diminish or eliminate them.

We do it for the love of our breeds not for a payday. If people were to health test and provide the type of care we do you would be paying the same prices. Breeding dogs properly is a science and isn’t cheap.

@mainechild Do your research. How much does it cost if your dog comes down with a genetic condition you could have avoided? How much emotional investment will you make? If a dog is just something to be hit by a car, maybe the cost of the dog is not the issue. I would not want to bring a dog into a home where it’s seen as a bad investment that can recoup no additional money. It’s really sad to think about thinking of a living creature that way imo.

@mainechild I’ve bought several $3500 dogs over the past year. It’s not about showing. It’s about quality. If your husband wants a cheap dog, he can find a rescue.

@mainechild I don't know about poodles but with Great Danes markings can make a difference, and for the dogs with the 'best' markings there is a premium.

The breeders tend to have one price for 'show quality' and one for 'mismarked'. Health wise they are the exact same.

So in Danes if you want a 'show marked' you will pay the premium for looks, health-wise it will be the same as a mismarked that may have been 500-1000 cheaper.

I am assuming you are looking at AKC registered and shown dogs, you might also check to see if the registration is for full or limited, limited means you cannot breed and is normally cheaper.

For the record, I have the 3500 dollar dog. On the 3rd at that price from the breeder. So I think it is worth it.

@home4good Huge red flag only back yard breeders charge different prices for colors.No one in the Great Dane club of America website breeders list would charge more for colors.

@chrishudges They will charge more for show marked colors, and sell the others as pet quality. Sort of a poor naming since the quality is the same, just the markings are different.

@mainechild Ngl, dog prices in the US kill me. They're much cheaper in Europe. I get why they're so much more expensive but wow- am I salty about it.

Would I personally buy a dog for $3500? probably not. Maybe if it's like a very particular set of parents that I really, really want offspring of. But for that price I would expect all possible health testing to be done, robust puppy raising protocols, and parents with impeccable temperament.

Any idea if the breeder is doing all that? What are the parents temperaments like? What are you looking for in a dog?

Lots of show breeders breed dogs that are good for show but are not good pets. So be careful when choosing a breeder they breed the type of dogs that YOU want.

@mainechild Ngl, dog prices in the US kill me. They're much cheaper in Europe. I get why they're so much more expensive but wow- am I salty about it.

Would I personally buy a dog for $3500? probably not. Maybe if it's like a very particular set of parents that I really, really want offspring of. But for that price I would expect all possible health testing to be done, robust puppy raising protocols, and parents with impeccable temperament.

Any idea if the breeder is doing all that? What are the parents temperaments like? What are you looking for in a dog?

Lots of show breeders breed dogs that are good for show but are not good pets. So be careful when choosing a breeder they breed the type of dogs that YOU want.

@mainechild I got my little poodle from a show breeder but I dont show. I dont regret it for a minute. She has a fantastic temperament and her correct conformation enables her to be amazingly athletic. She moves so beautifully. People literally stop and stare at her.

@mainechild Yes. Dogs can be bred and sold healthfully for far less. Being a show dog does not mean it is more likely to be healthy. I would, however be surprised if you can find a good breeder to buy from for less than 1000

@mainechild Poodles are so mixed up when it comes to breeding. My mom raised standards and they were great dogs. The breeding is important!!

It is not crazy to want a dog that you know will be a good one. Dogs can do several thousand dollars in damage to a room in half an hour, or ha I'll f a minute!

Don't let others guilt you into feeling bad over spending your own money! Adopting is always my fav way to go, but I understand for some that comes with too many unknowns.

@mainechild We have bred standard poodles in the past and we genetic test and health test all of our dogs. We don't do any showing, we just breed them as family dogs mostly for families that have kids with allergies. We charged a little less than half at the time. Of course color and gender can sometimes play a role in determining price.

@mainechild This is what it comes down to:

You can do all the right things, buying a bred puppy. You can research. The breeder can have impeccable history. All the moms and dads can be essentially perfect - easygoing, intelligent, healthy.

What happens if the puppy is difficult or has a health issue? How does your partner respond?

If your partner is someone who will belittle or blame you for lack of perfection, the problem is bigger than this.

You buy a bred dog because you - the potential owner/parent - expect something from the puppy. Characteristics, personality, health, etc. If that isn't met (and no breeder promises perfection, or a perfect meld with the way you live your life) then the buyer can get upset. Even more so if it's not the buyer, it's the family.

Choose a bred dog because you HOPE for what's advertised, not what is expected. be prepared for both. Whether you get what you want or don't, you need a supportive partner. If you don't think you'll be able to adjust together if the dog is difficult, then foster an adult dog with a documented history that aligns with your lifestyle.

Back