Is it messed up to leave my dog home w/ NO AC?

@tiffashwill So like 27C. I think it's fine for the most part. If you leave the basement door open they can keep cool down there.

Looking at your dog in your avatar, I think it's ok.

My GF used to leave me a 28 degree apartment and then some until she took me out for walks.

@levi88 “until she took me out for walks”

Are you the dog in this scenario?

Otherwise I think what OP is doing is fine here. I grew up in central Ohio and my mom refused to turn the AC on until it reached 90 degrees, even when people were home. I ended up finding all the cool areas of the house and went there when I wanted to relax. I’m sure the dog can do the same.

@fruty Wait, you don't stay inside all day until someone requests you go on a walk with them where there's sunlight? I thought I was on Reddit...

@tiffashwill So unless you have a way to moniter the heat when at work... I actually disagree. Although setting it to a higher temp is a good idea, turning off your ac is not. With climate change, temperatures keep getting hottet and hotter. My home can climb to 27 c in summer and with 2 cats and a dog, I'm not willing to risk it however we also have a smart ac that of the temperature is low outside we can turn it off from anywhere

@tiffashwill The world is dying, mostly because people can’t bear the slightest discomfort. Dog will be just fine. Make sure they have water. Animals tend to be much, much tougher than super soft people.

@ewb1948 Dogs start overheating at 81-85 degrees. OP doesn’t have to keep it set to 69 but should make sure the house is well insulated and the HVAC unit as efficient as possible.

@ewb1948 Do some research on brachycephalic dogs. Older dogs, or dogs with medical conditions, can also be sensitive to overheating.

Edit: Forgot to add breeds adapted for colder climates, like huskies and Saint Bernards, don't handle heat well either.

@tiffashwill Maybe because I’m in the south that doesn’t sound too hot for the average dog breed. My dogs are happy outside in 80 degree weather. The only problem I could see is if it was stuffy inside with no moving air.

Back