I sort of miss corporate?

anniemarie

Okay so I left corporate (ps) just over a month ago and I don’t know why but I just am not getting comfortable at my new salon. My new salon is great and all and my coworkers are very nice. There’s seriously nothing shady going on and I got lucky getting my new job. However I’m a pretty new groomer (year and a half almost grooming and 6 mos bathing) and I get behind every day. I was grooming 6 dogs no issue at ps and now I can hardly do 4 even if I have a bath dog on my schedule. This job is very much do whatever you want (set up your schedule as you want, work as much as you want) for some reason I feel like that’s screwing me because I decided to start out slow and it’s still too much for me to keep up with. Also a big factor is that all of my coworkers are incredible groomers and I feel so disappointed in my grooms compared to them. They’re very experienced and know how to groom the difficult dogs which is where I fall behind. I guess I never had these problems before but I’m just getting so frustrated because I feel the difference in the work of me and my coworkers. I don’t know if I should stay with it for a while or if I should go back because I might have just not been ready. Does switching salons typically have an effect on how you groom or is it just me?

@anniemarie The problem with taking it slow (which makes perfect sense) is that you can fall into the "I have an this time to do everything perfectly" which leads to 10-15 minutes of nitpicking on a face or ear or leg that no one else can see any issues with.

When you force your self to "hurry", groom with a purpose but don't rush, you fall into your routine faster and you don't get the time to sit and nitpick every groom to death.

I have done this same thing several times, and it's rough to get back out of it.

@shefa Thank you. I did realize that I will take equally as long doing 4 dogs vs 5 or even 3 vs 4. I definitely am the groomer who will take up all the time I have. Its a very good point but It’s hard at the moment because I get super anxious when I get behind and at the same time I’m worrying about seeming adequate to my new coworkers

@anniemarie Wow. I am in the exact same situation as you. Thats crazy! Im also struggling to get back to my normal amount of dogs too. Personally i think its just lack of confidence and getting back into routine. Slowly but surely im getting back to my normal pace but im struggling too.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Wow don’t take this the wrong way but that’s really refreshing to hear! We need to be proud of the progress we’ve made even if we’re not getting there at the pace we expected. Besides the stress of starting out I hope the new job is treating you well!

@anniemarie No seriously, I was grooming 5-6 dogs at PS pretty comfortably and then switched to the other corporate store PC and it took me awhile to get back up to 5-6. It was embarrassing because I felt like I looked like a liar. I think part of it is you don't realize how used to that specific salon you are and you have to get used to a whole new flow.

Another part of it is if you're looking at the more advanced groomers you're probably taking extra time to perfect your work, even if it's subconsciously.

@genna Yes!! I relate to that so hard sometimes I feel like I somehow lied on my resume even though I know I didn’t. I need to accept that I got hired for a reason. It’s just really overwhelming at the moment... And absolutely to the second part. It’s just such a new territory.

@anniemarie
  1. Do not compare yourself to your coworkers who have years of experience on you! Everyone has to start somewhere. Speed and precision will just come with time and practice!
  2. The problem of feeling not fast enough will also just come with time and also learning how to manage your time more wisely. I’m NOT a dog groomer- I’m a nail tech but I feel like these rules apply exactly the same lol. When I first started out it took me way longer to do things that I can now do in 5 minutes. Again, don’t compare yourself.
Making your own schedule is definitely a blessing and a curse because you have to hold yourself accountable! It might take a bit, but you’ll start to find your flow and what length of appointments work for you for which breeds and sizes etc. Don’t give up!

@anniemarie Give yourself grace, you are still new to grooming. Speed comes with time and - honestly - request dogs on a schedule. I have yorkies, shih tzu, and a few other small breeds I can groom in 45min because they come in every 4-6wks and I'm not starting over fresh every time. Those easy dogs open space for more time consuming dogs.

You're also in a new environment. How did you learn time management at PS? Maybe go back to the basics - I never had a problem with time management but I used to routine taped inside my guard combs so I did the same thing, same order, every time.

You got this

@anniemarie Left corporate in January. And I’m only now just starting to get my mojo back. I believe it’s common. I was getting used to a new routine, new computer system, new everything. I work at a luxury salon as well so the stress of my grooms being perfect was always there and I would end up taking like 2 hours on 1 dog. I’m finally comfortable with myself again. Sometimes I still get anxiety going to work as I get along with everyone but not ideal people to work with ( if that even makes sense ). I’m also dealing with an internal issue knowing I’m moving in September and that I’ll be an asshole for telling her in July/August and how pissed she will be at me lol

@anniemarie Takes a long time to get comfortable at a new place. And sounds like you are prioritizing quality over quantity. Which is fantastic for a new groomer. Stick to focusing on doing a top quality job the next year. Once you are confident in your consistent quality. Then move on to upping your speed. Takes 2-4+ years to build both those skills. Your doing great!! Keep up the quality work! And don't be afraid to ask for suggestions from more seasoned groomers.

@anniemarie To me it sounds like you should just give yourself more grace and more time to adapt. You’re new in the game and you’re going to steal your own joy comparing yourself to the other groomers.

I like to time myself with my stopwatch on my phone. It really helps me not spend to much time on the different steps in my routine. And it’s makes it like a fun little competition to with myself.

Back