I lost both dogs in 3 days

jingshenbianxi

We had to put down our one dog on Saturday, she was diabetic and her body was just so exhausted that she stopped eating and really doing anything. Our other dog was a little ill the past week and she got diagnosed with pancreatitis, we gave her medicine and everything, but it didn’t really seem to help at all, so we took her to the vet so she could stay overnight and they can do a few tests and monitor her. This afternoon the vet called and told us that she is improving a bit and she ate a bit of food, but a few hours ago he called again and told us that she had sadly passed away, they believe it might have been a heart attack, bloot clot or brain aneurysm, but they are going to do an autopsy.

This just fucking breaks me, I don’t understand why, what did my poor babies do to deserve this, what did I do to deserve this? Why both of them within 3 days?

I just can’t comprehend the thought of coming home and having no one waiting for me,
no one to go on walks with, no one to feed and no one to tuck into bed at night.

@jingshenbianxi I can't imagine how bad you must feel right now and I'm so sorry. We give our hearts to our pets knowing we will probably outlive them but that knowledge still doesn't ease the pain of losing them.

It sounds like you were doing all you could for them.

@jingshenbianxi I lost both of my dogs last year. One in March after 14.5 great years and another in June due to neurological issues about 4 years after we rescued him. It's definitely very hard to not only lose part of your family, but to go from a lifestyle with 2 dogs to 0 dogs. One of the surprisingly hardest things was going from 250 lbs of dogs barking when someone came to the door to actually hearing the knock at the door or a package being dropped off and no barking.

Fortunately, we found a great dog and welcomed him in August. We're so fortunate to have him in our lives.

@isaac4 Take your time for a new one… after my last one passed away it took be 2 years before I felt healed enough to start looking for another dog. In my mind it’s not fair to bring a new pup in when everyone is still grieving. So I waited until I could talk about her and not cry every time!

@cedasheridan This is the way. I had to get more dogs, too. I couldn't handle the silence. I am an unconditional dog love junkie. I admit it. There is no cure. There is only treatment from other dogs that need to be rescued with all the love I can give them.

@jingshenbianxi My heart hurts for you, friend. I'm so sorry for your losses. I doubt it's much solace, but at least their pain has ended.

There's no way around it--losing one dog is gut-wrenching. Take care of yourself as best as you can, and remember their memories will persist as long as you do. Hang in there, and please accept a virtual hug from an internet stranger.

@jingshenbianxi You can never replace a dog. You can find a new friend, but he/she won't be the same as your old friend. Keep the memory alive, cherish the time you had, and maybe when you're ready, you can welcome a new friend into your life.

I have found the following to be helpful.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

@jazzyone The place that we had our last dog cremated at sent a card with this printed on it when they mailed her ashes to us. I was not ready to read it and lost it. My children found me in a sloppy mess on my bed holding the box of ashes. I still feel guilty for letting them find me in that state, but it needed to come out. I love the rainbow bridge now, but wasn’t emotionally ready for it at the time.

@jazzyone Well that made me tear up at my desk.

Man, why don’t all these billionaires dump money into making dogs live forever and not on penis planes to space…

@jingshenbianxi I’m so sorry for your loss. I just lost one of mine almost a week ago and my fear is your reality of having no dogs. I know it’s incredibly hard to think why you deserve this, unfortunately it did and obviously you can’t change it, but remember they are still together and try and remember all the great times.
Again, I’m so so sorry for your losses

Back