I have the perfect dog 99.9% of the time until I don’t

tribmartyr

I don’t know what to do any more.

My dog is that dog people on this subreddit often talk about.

Shes happy and friendly. She goes to the off leash park and plays with other dogs every day. She greets strangers carefully then full on climbs on them for pets.

She sweet and noble. And then for a second it’s like she’s someone else and she grabs one of the other dogs in the house and it’s terrifying and absolutely horrible.

We visit the vet once every two weeks with a new bite and the behavioralist is at a loss.

It’s like she forgets these are the dogs she eats with everyday , the dogs she shares the car with, the dogs she defends at the park and the dogs she often plays and sleeps with.

She’s our newest rescue and I’m not ready to give up but I simply don’t know how to keep going.

edit to add extra info:

She’s now been to more vets than I can count. We have run every test in the book, she’s had her thyroid checked, an ultrasound, she’s been to a neurologist. All tell me I have a perfectly healthy dog.

She has a single tick , she attacks one of her paws no vet has been able to diagnose her and the behavioralist thinks it’s physical not a behavior problem while all the vets who check her out tell me it’s anxiety. She started taking Prozac a week or so ago.

She’s 2 years old, used to live in in the streets in Mexico. She’s been with me for a year and with the other dogs (lost my apartment due to the pandemic ) 4 months.

@tribmartyr If you can, I would start wearing a go-pro/video camera around for like 2-3 weeks whenever you’re around other dogs/people. I know it’s a hassle, but I know someone whose dog is dog-aggressive, but the warning signs were so subtle (think like, a single lip lick) that they were being missed. If you could play back footage of your attack-free days vs. the bad days, maybe you can spot some of the early signs or identify the triggers better. It would also help the vet and behaviorist to see the scenarios for themselves.

Also, if your dog hasn’t been muzzle trained, I think that would be a good idea.

Edit: a word

@sheolgrave Recording is so helpful! Our trainer has all her clients record outside of class so that she can see 1) what we're doing in an uncontrolled environment, and 2) what warning signs are being missed. It's been super helpful, and I've gotten much much better at identifying potential issues.

Also +1 on muzzle training! Our lad doesn't need it 99% of the time, but it's there when he does. No more chewed-through leashes and accidental bites!

@sheolgrave This is actually an awesome idea thanks for the suggestion! In regards to muzzle training, I contacted the behavioralist about it last night . We will be adding it to our training.

@tribmartyr No problem, glad the idea is helpful! For the muzzle, make sure to look for a basket muzzle that the dog can pant in so they don’t accidentally overheat. The Muzzle Up project also has great tips and suggestions! Good luck!

@tribmartyr There's little info here, and the tip about seizures is good, but I've seen many people be confused by dogs reacting to circumstances and not actors in them.

My dog gets spooked by triggers no matter who or where they're coming from. It doesn't matter if she "knows" the person or the dog, if they put her in a position where something triggers her, it doesn't matter that she knows them.

She's not suddenly fine with certain things just because the actor is familiar. She loves me like I've never seen an animal love someone yet I still am careful around her.

Maybe you can notice some patterns to her bites? Triggers are kind of hard to spot sometimes. I would keep the dogs separated in the house when not under strict supervision.

@tribmartyr I’d personally recommend cutting way back on dog park time. Dog parks with new people and new dogs every single day is a lot to handle for even the most bomb proof dogs. Maybe 1-2 times per week with a select crowd would be better suited.

How much individual attention do each of the dogs get and how much alone time do they each get? In multi dog households, I always recommend more structure so that the dogs are on a consistent routine with clear boundaries. 4 months is still a fairly early on in blending dogs in a household so everyone is still working out their place in the pack. I’d recommend crate time, duration place, and overall calmer state of mind work for inside. Structured walks together outside. Rather than focusing on all the fun and playing together, start with working on peaceful coexistence.

It’s also very possible that this is a resource guarding issue if it’s only inside the home. Could be a space, toy, food, person that she is resource guarding. Make sure there isn’t free access to resources amongst the dogs that could be setting her off.

A lot of dogs do great with other dogs outside of the home but really struggle blending in multi dog packs at the home. It takes a lot of work to manage the dogs in a way that promotes calm existence in a structured environment.

Also I would muzzle condition her immediately and have her muzzled around the other housemates for safety.

@bananabread23 That is a good suggestion. Also check the teeth - I had a rescue once that I found out a year after I get her that she had about 6 teeth in really bad shape that were probably causing her pain.

@bananabread23 Ive sadly taken her to the vet more times than I can count. She’s had her teeth checked, regular blood work, thyroid test, an ultra sound

The neurologist thinks it’s a behavior problem

@tribmartyr That sounds really difficult. Great tips already shared and I agree with muzzle training. I’d also look in to keeping her much more separate until she’s fully muzzle trained.

@pastorjeremylove I want to second this—sounds like some positive (not punitive) alone time for your reactive dog would benefit everyone. Your dog seems to have constant stimulation. Taking breaks from dog parks too. I know it can feel like a good way to exercise & socialize a dog but, again, your dog might be overwhelmed. My reactive rescue had seemingly improved behavior after acclimating him to the dog park, only to have it backfire and increase his fear aggression down the road. Listen to your pup—she needs some peace!

@tribmartyr Give the prozac about a month to see the effects. Our dog is also on clonidine. It has done wonders. We can actually do training when she sees other dogs outsides. She can still be reactive, but it's totally manageable.

@tribmartyr I would go to a veterinary behaviourist if you can afford one. They can prescribe medication (like SSRI's), diagnose mental illness or anxiety in dogs, and also provide training plans. They usually work closely with a vet to factor in any other medical conditions.

Until you diagnose the cause (whether its stress, illness, etc) I would muzzle the dog around the other ones. And around any other dogs and people possibly.

@ivoryebonykeys Our behavioralist is actually a veterinary behavioralist. So far he’s referred us to a neurologist and he was recommended thru our normal vet.

I contacted him last night and actually discussed muzzle training.

@tribmartyr Have you had her thyroid checked? One of the symptoms of a thyroid issue is a sudden change in temperament/aggression. It’s not always included in standard blood work so you need to specifically ask your vet about it.

Back