I have a beautiful 15 week old blue female who I am worried that I am failing and I’d appreciate some feedback

womanofgod101

My concerns are numerous, and I believe I am responsible for a lot of inconsistency issues. Overall though, she is a sweetheart and everyday I learn or realize something new about her that helps me the next day. Instead of listing my issues/ concerns, I’d like to know what you all ACD owners think should be the most alarming behaviors or issues for a blue female ACD puppy at this age. With dogs this energetic and smart it’s sometimes hard to know what should be a legit worry and what’s normal. Specifics are the most helpful with this breed. Thank you.

@womanofgod101 if your pup is very bitey, and has an almost constant case of the zoomies, that's a cattle dog pup.😊😬🙃🥰 soon she'll be teething; back teeth are the worst when chewing (upper & lower teeth act like shears, even on leather). give her something snuggly that she can drag around. my dog likes an old bath towel - it's his 'blanket'. even at 2.5 yrs, he likes to bite it and hold it in his mouth.

find a toy that you can do really strong tugging with, and a toy that she likes for fetch play. they learn very fast, words as well as actions.

have fun!

edit to add: put her in her crate a couple times a day, sort of like nap time. you both need some time off.

@womanofgod101 I found structure helps a lot. We also crate trained ours for the first year and then slowly gave them more freedom. When she's old enough, take her to a training class. Socialization is also important, so take her to lots of places with you if you can. Consistency is key with this breed or they will try and run the show.

@womanofgod101 ACDs are neurotic and have idiosyncrasies. They get spooked easily and are hyper-focused and sensitive. At least mine is as well as the ones that I've met at my local ACD meet up. They really are whip smart. My red heeler knows way too many words and he studies our patterns; nothing gets by him.

Best thing you can do is ensure she gets lots of exercise and remain calm when she over-reacts to set the tone for healthy emotional development and behaviors.

I bet she's a great dog and that you two will be just fine. ☺️

@womanofgod101 These are unusual dogs. Do your best but also realize they are going to be who they are going to be, so manage your expectations as these are not labs or goldens. I truly believe you can only mold a heeler so much. Train them yes, as they are brilliant. But the traits in these dogs run real deep. I can’t think of a better way to explain it than that. I have had many dogs and none of them were anything like my heeler. She is my loyal girl and I know she would die for me, but she is a law unto herself in many ways.

@womanofgod101 Train it out of her? I don’t know. But she will stop nipping eventually, all puppies do. Mine took several years to totally get the whole “chase and nip” thing out of her system though. They were made to do that after all.

@womanofgod101 Our red heeler was completely insane when we got him. Everything was alarming. He’d scream (it’s a heeler thing) at people, cats, dogs, birds etc, he knocked the back door off the hinges, he ate/chewed everything including our mattress and couch. We still can’t tie him up cause he either chews through his leash instantly or chokes himself out. That being said he’s turned into a great dog

@womanofgod101 We are guessing he was about six months, he had his adult teeth but he doubled in size. He’s about 5years old now
Eta: and the biting/mouthing was insane and he’s go straight for your face

@womanofgod101 Mine really fast on a soft bite and a hard bite. Every time she’d bite hard I’d give out a yelp of pain and say to hard to hard so then she’d test me and barely bite then I’d let her bite a little harder and when I’d feel it’s enough pressure I’d tell her to hard I also got what they call a garden sleeve that helps protect your arm so after she learned not to bite hard I was able to stop using the sleeve

@womanofgod101 biting behaviors or nipping behaviors a bad one. Id redirect that for sure. Resource guarding if they have favorite toys or not touching them enough.

A big one is not having a routine. Mine loves the routine of the day and if we deviate, it drives him a little nuts. He likes being challenged but with a good schedule.

Back