I’m about to move across the US with my 6 y/o Beagle. What are some car and/or travel essentials that you would consider as must-haves?

minhduc

I’ve got a harness to keep him safe and strapped in, and he’ll have his bed, favorite toys, and blanket the whole time. I bought some collapsible food and water bowls the other day, and of course I’ll have all normal items like food, leashes and poop bags.

He’s never been in the car with me for more than an hour or so. He used to throw up every car ride but that hasn’t happened in a long time (2+ years). I’m just a little nervous because we’re going to be on the road and in hotels for 3 straight days.

Am I missing anything? Do you have any other advice?

@minhduc Something for motion sickness just in case and a long line so he can stretch his legs during breaks. A doggy first aid kit might not be a bad idea

@phydaux Yes definitely a first aid kit. And please don't make any stops right by the highway (potty breaks or having the door open), I've heard some real horror stories sorry to say. I also recommend Sniffspot. We went on a long road trip and it was fun to stop at different Sniffspots especially since some of them have amenities for the human too (hot drinks or a pool).

@phydaux This! My vet is happy to prescribe nausea meds and even a sedative for long car rides. My pup went 10 hours last year and I was glad to have the nausea meds so I wouldn’t have to worry about him. We didn’t need the sedative but it was nice to have.

@minhduc Make sure you actually fill the prescription though because it’ll be very difficult to get it from a strange vet halfway across the country.

Are you using a crate to keep him safe while mobile? The longer the trip the more likely there could be an accident and you wouldn’t want him to become a missile, of course.

Safe travels for you and your buddy.​

@minhduc Watch the sedatives if he hasn’t had them before. My dog had surgery and I gave her the dose they said. She was about comatose for 12 hours. It was to the point that she was pooping all over herself because she was so relaxed, everything was just coming out. She didn’t even get up. It was as she was sleeping. I ended up rushing her to the vet because I thought I was killing her. She was okay, but man… I can’t imagine if that happened in the car.

@andica2006 GOOD ONE! I'm going to add,make sure it's microchip registration info is up to date..did you move? IS it registered to you? DO you want to upgrade the plan in case of an emergency?

@bravefig1990 You might want to add a temporary ID tag with a second number of a friend. Long story, but think of scenarios where you can't answer your phone, but someone is trying to call about your dog they have found. Worth it to engrave a tag with both yours and a 2nd #.

@minhduc I regularly go on 9 hour drives home to see family with our pup, and this pretty much covers our supply list. The only thing I might add is specific lick mats/stuffed kongs to help with some of the boredom. I’d also chat with your vet about how to manage potential motion sickness, as well as a contingency for helping with anxiety since it’ll be some major changes.

Good luck!

@mamaweems5 Thank you for this. I just got off the phone with my vets office and they’ll have anti-nausea and mild sedatives ready for pick up tomorrow. I’d rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them.

@minhduc Just FYI, if they prescribe zofran/ondansetron for the anti-nausea medicine, it is typically way way cheaper to have them call it into a human pharmacy, and have the pharmacy run it through the GoodRX discount program. I save 25-75% on most of my dog's prescriptions for human meds this way. (Zofran, specifically, is $20 cheaper for 10 pills from the pharmacy than from my veterinarian)